Dimensions

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by g0pher, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Dimensions, einstein's final study, 3 of space, one of time, the Rest - infinity, connectors and vibrators of the multiverse - the supernatural magnetism and gravitational abode of infinite reality... smoke to this my brothers, and drift away... peace

2. Have you ever considered how a four-dimensional being would look?

Think of it this way. Consider a two-dimensional world resembling a sheet of paper. How would you appear to the inhabitants of such a world if you tried to interact with with them? The 2-D creatures would only see cross-sections of you as you intersected their universe. Your finger would look like a flat disc that grew in size as you pushed it through their world. Your five fingers might looked like five separate circles. They would just see irregular shapes with skin boundaries as you entered their world. Similarly, a hyperbeing who lived in the fourth dimension would have a cross-section in our space that looked liked a bunch of skin blobs.

A 4-D being would be a god to us. It would see everything in our world. It could even look inside your stomach and remove your breakfast without cutting through your skin, just like you could remove a dot inside a circle by moving it up into the third dimension, perpendicular to the circle, without breaking the circle.

A hyperbeing can effortlessly remove things before your very eyes, giving you the impression that the objects simply disappeared. The hyperbeing can also see inside any 3-D object or life form, and if necessary remove anything from inside. The being can look inside our intestines, or remove a tumor from our brain without ever cutting through the skin. A pair of gloves can be easily transformed into two left or two right gloves. And 3-D knots fall apart in the hands of a hyperbeing, much as a 2-D knot (a loop of string lying on a plane) can easily be undone by a 3-D being simply by lifting the end of the loop up into the third dimension.

3. aw yes!

love this thread already.... and i've only read the large text that stands out! :D

bbs,

*toilet dash*

4. Dimensions Digit! its the epitomal mushroom MDMA headtrip blace of contemplation.:smoke: Next to the thought of space time and strings.

5. my name, chosen for reason beyond any i claim as my "own".
    Digit.
    almost sugestive of integer.
    but drastically openly ambiguous as to any reference whatsoever of quantity, lest one read it to be a singular. so open though, to consider, a number, but forever leaving the question unanswered as to how many, never even asking knowing it will never be answered, only knowing theres some probability potential that it is multiple...

an incomprehensible tangent? nar, 'tis a hint at how ............ exponentially grand [grasping for adecquate phrase] transcendental dimension navigation can be. excuse my language, its the first time attempting to express these thoughtthings as words.

more on this to come.

we gonna get talking about shapes n stuff in this thread too right?

:D ahhh... bliss. advanced thought, the convergence of all knowledge, physics and philosophy begin to become one... and sooooooo muckle more. ;) L:D_|_l giggity

6. im vague on subject.

but if 3D is XYZ

then what would be the next dimension.

right now this is how i see the basis of the universe. infinate amounts of planes all in the directions of the XYZ axis, but there isnt just one "dimension".

i am desperate on fusing science with metaphysical.

7. [​IMG]

4th dimensional....stuff

8. Not to get technical, but no. At best tricky 3D (through cheating with replacement animation), at worst just a neat 2D perspective illusion.

To get a bit dirty though, we do not quite know what a dimension is. And we certainly do not know that they are neat and linear as our current models presuppose. Basically what we call dimensions is just a grid we've made up to fit our model of the universe into.

Our eyes and brain recognize three of those. And by sequence a fourth. Allthough there is good reason to believe more dimensions exist (M Theory/Hypothesis) none is proven.

Hell, we do not even know if our concept of dimension is valid.

9. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Demonstration of objects with 1 to 5 dimensions

A one dimensional world would be a line (x). An object populating a one dimensional world would be a point or line segment moving along a line in two degrees of freedom.

__________________________________ or maybe just a dot? .

</PRE>A two dimensional world would be a plane (x,y). An object populating a two dimensional world would be a line segment with height in the form of a shape (i.e., square) sliding around the plane in four degrees of freedom.

----------- <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:rect id=_x0000_s1028 style="MARGIN-TOP: 222.75pt; Z-INDEX: 1; MARGIN-LEFT: 253.5pt; WIDTH: 27pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 18pt; rotation: 1657124fd"></v:rect><v:rect id=_x0000_s1028 style="MARGIN-TOP: 222.75pt; Z-INDEX: 1; MARGIN-LEFT: 253.5pt; WIDTH: 27pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 18pt; rotation: 1657124fd"></v:rect><v:rect id=_x0000_s1028 style="MARGIN-TOP: 222.75pt; Z-INDEX: 1; MARGIN-LEFT: 253.5pt; WIDTH: 27pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 18pt; rotation: 1657124fd"></v:rect><v:rect id=_x0000_s1028 style="MARGIN-TOP: 222.75pt; Z-INDEX: 1; MARGIN-LEFT: 253.5pt; WIDTH: 27pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 18pt; rotation: 1657124fd"></v:rect><v:rect id=_x0000_s1028 style="MARGIN-TOP: 222.75pt; Z-INDEX: 1; MARGIN-LEFT: 253.5pt; WIDTH: 27pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 18pt; rotation: 1657124fd"></v:rect>

A three dimensional world would be a space (x,y,z). An object populating a three dimensional world would be a planar shape with depth (i.e., cube) moving around the space in six degrees of freedom. This could be a balloon.

/\
    / \
    / __\ <- shutup dude! i tried... :eek:

A four dimensional world would be a hyperspace (d[SUB]1[/SUB],d[SUB]2[/SUB],d[SUB]3[/SUB],d[SUB]4[/SUB]). An object populating a four dimensional world would be a cubic shape with depth[SUB]2[/SUB] (i.e., hypercube) moving around the space in eight degrees of freedom. Ok, this is kind of tricky. Because we don't live in a world with freedom to move through four dimensions, we have to express a four dimensional object in terms of three dimensions. Image that the object below is a cube that can exist in three dimensions. Imagine that the cube is at Position 1. Then, the cube is moved, through time, to Position 2. The hypercube would be every progressive state of the cube during it's deepening[SUB]2[/SUB] from P1 to P2. So, imagine a line connecting A[SUB]P1[/SUB]-A[SUB]P2[/SUB], B[SUB]P1[/SUB]-B[SUB]P2[/SUB], and so on. A hypercube, therefore, is a four dimensional object represented in a three dimensional world. This could be a balloon between 12:00am and 12:10am existing all at once in three dimensions and at one time.

Using the techniques to visualize a four dimensional object, another way to view a three dimensional object would be to envision a "hyper-square." This isn't really an appropriate name because hyper suggests four dimensions. Perhaps a more appropriate name would be a "trans-square." Basically, imagine a square that would have two positions, or sizes. The progression of this square from P1to P2 would be a three dimensional object (or in this case, a simple cube) represented in two dimensional space. Such a technique could be used to explain three dimensional objects to someone living in a two dimensional world.

A five dimensional world would be a series of hyperspaces (d[SUB]1[/SUB],d[SUB]2[/SUB],d[SUB]3[/SUB],d[SUB]4[/SUB],d[SUB]5[/SUB]). An object populating a five dimensional world would be a closed hypercubic shape with depth[SUB]3[/SUB] (i.e., a hypercube with an alternative P2 and/or P1) moving around the series of hyperspaces in ten degrees of freedom. Basically, imagine a cube "moving" or "growing" through three dimensional space with two or more possible ending positions, or states. Imagine the points A[SUB]P1[/SUB]-A[SUB]P2a[/SUB]-A[SUB]P2b[/SUB], B[SUB]P1[/SUB]-B[SUB]P2a[/SUB]-B[SUB]P2b[/SUB], etc. are connected with planartriangles (as opposed to the lines that connect the hyper-points in a four dimensions object). Now, imagine that this object exists all at once and in three dimensions. This could be a balloon between 12:00am and 12:10am and that same balloon between 11:50am and 12:10am having been popped at 12:10am; the entire thing existing all at once in three dimensions (P2a, not popped; P2b, popped).

The fifth dimension would just be several fourth dimensions stacked on top of each other (kinda like the 2nd dimension(y) is a bunch of 1st dimensions(x) stacked on top of each other, and the 3rd dimension(z) is just the whole (x,y) plane stuck together side by side). So, you take the timeline of the fourth dimension where every point is an entire (x,y,z) cartesian plane which is the universe and stack it on top of each other, kinda like a second (x,y) plane, except now its a (time, probability) plane. Since the 5th dimension is made up of an infinite number of timelines, it'd be logical to assume that each one of these lines is a whole other spin on what *could have* been and what *can* be.

[​IMG]
    (i.e., flat drawings) of a 0-dimensional point, a 1-dimensional line segment, a 2-dimensional square, a 3-dimensional cube, and a 4-dimensional tesseract

[​IMG]
    tesseract

</PRE>

10. "Looking backward in time to an instant after the big bang, physicists at the University of Wisconsin-Madison have devised a way to unlock the hidden shapes of alternate dimensions of the universe. Their study, in Physical Review Letters, demonstrates that the shapes of extra dimensions can be "seen" by deciphering their influence on cosmic energy released by the violent birth of the universe 13 billion years ago. The method may mean that physicists can use experimental data to discern the nature of these elusive dimensions - the existence of which is a critical but as yet unproven element of string theory, a controversial contender for a "theory of everything."

String theory predicts the existence of six extra spatial dimensions - "hidden" dimensions - curled in tiny geometric shapes at every single point in our universe. The new Wisconsin work may provide a long-sought foundation for measuring this previously immeasurable aspect of string theory. According to string theory mathematics, the extra dimensions could adopt any of tens of thousands of possible shapes, each shape theoretically corresponding to its own universe with its own set of physical laws.

Wisconsin's Gary Shiu says the many-dimensional shapes are far too small to see or measure through any usual means of observation, which makes testing this crucial aspect of string theory very difficult. "You can theorize anything, but you have to be able to show it with experiments," he says. "Now the problem is, how do we test it?"
    Shiu's approach is based on the idea that the six tiny dimensions had their strongest influence on the universe when it itself was a tiny speck of highly compressed matter and energy - that is, in the instant just after the big bang. "Our idea was to go back in time and see what happened back then," says Shiu.

Lacking the requisite time machine, they used the next-best thing: a map of cosmic energy released from the big bang. The energy, captured by satellites such as NASA's Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP), has persisted virtually unchanged for the last 13 billion years, making the energy map basically "a snapshot of the baby universe," Shiu says.

Much as a shadow can impart the shape of an object, the pattern of cosmic energy in the sky can give an indication of the shape of the other six dimensions present, Shiu believes. To learn how to read telltale signs of the six-dimensional geometry from the cosmic map, Shiu's team worked backward. Starting with two different types of mathematically simple geometries, called warped throats, they calculated the predicted energy map that would be seen in the universe described by each shape. When they compared the two maps, they found small but significant differences between them.

The results indicate that specific patterns of cosmic energy can hold clues to the geometry of the six-dimensional shape. Though the current data are not precise enough to compare their findings to our universe, upcoming experiments such as the European Space Agency's Planck satellite should have the sensitivity to detect subtle variations between different geometries, Shiu believes. "Our results with simple, well-understood shapes give proof of concept that the geometry of hidden dimensions can be deciphered from the pattern of cosmic energy," Shiu added. "This provides a rare opportunity in which string theory can be tested."
    http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20070104230143data_trunc_sys.shtml

11. nice theoritical show and tell here...

i've been trying to get through this kinda thing but it takes alot of devotion and natural curiosity to persevere through it to ACTUALLY grasp this stuff. ... its weird, but in part at least, i have that same kinda feeling i did when i started looking into eastern medicine, that i was gaining whole knowledge, not a select keyhole that could be decieving me as to the nature of the whole.

but i really need to spend a lot longer on it.... hmm... maybe i should just dl the whole website and take it through to my room with the last of my honey oil. :D

http://www.ummo-sciences.org/en/a003.htm

... leave no rock...

ps, yeah, tenth dimension stuff too. great stuff.
    ooh, ooh, anyone remember the bit in star trek where lt barkely is having a chat with einstein in the holodeck about the possibility of 26 dimensions, and them scoffing and laughing off the possibility simply because they "have enough difficulty with 11" (or however many they were talking). ... hehe..... yeah.
    _ i'll get around to contributing something a bit more lofty sounding soon.... probably. :D:D:D;):laughing: :)

12. Dude that shit is deep, words like fuckin WAAM and D-A-F-F-O-D-I-L and OYAGAA's got my fucking brains wired man! i need to take it nice and slow, :D cool stuff though - its like a whole new fucking view!

fucking WAAAM Dude! haha