dimable ballast

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Laucass83, Mar 16, 2019.

1. I have 600w hps/mh electronic ballast. It Is dimable to 75 and 50%.
    Since I have a small space 2x4x6, 400w would be perfect and 600 a fire hazard.
    If I run my ballast at 75% what will happened with the bulb Spectrum..??
    does the core have to reach full température?

2. Impressive work you did there!!!!
    Ill keep reading your post your flowers looks soo pretty... I have a lot to learn my equipment Is usually for tomatoes

3. I think growing is a learning experience. I'm always learning something new. Tomato equipment isn't so bad. That's all anybody had 20 years ago. Unless you have tons of cash there will always be something you wish you could change.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

4. You could run 600w in there, I have a 2.5' x 4' tent and I often run a 600w HPS and a 150w LED in there and the heat is fine.

But if you want to dim to 400w it will be fine too. The efficiency drops, as does the kelvin temperature, but if you can't run the full 600w it is what it is. I still think you could though

Oh I just realised you may not have an air cooled hood. Fair enough if you haven't, yeah 600 would be hot

5. No I don't have the air cooled for now. All my lights were for starting tomatoes. Adapting my growing setup for cannabis is more complicated and expensive than I thought. Next crop will be in a real tent and yes with proper ventilation and air chilled reflector.
    Lucky enough my work schedule allows me to be home around 2pm . so I was thinking using my 250hps and switch to my 600w when I'm around and leave closet door open.

• Like Like x 1
  6. If you want to run your ballast at 400w you should use a 400w bulb. When you want to run it at 600w use a 600w bulb. You will get the intended spectrum this way, as well as not degrade your bulbs. Good luck!!

7. Did not know I can do that!!! Thanx!

8. What did you have to change from growing tomatoes? I would've guessed the set ups would be pretty much the same

The changing of the wattages sound like a good idea

9. you are right overall its the same thing but bringing a tomato from seed to 12 inches vs harvesting top shelf cannabis is also very different. (darkness, humidity, PH.. fancy nutes.. you know more than me!)
    Got a few undreads spent already and I know my first batch probably won't be good or I might not even finish them! This is an expensive hobby because we care for the best while here in Quebec we can by legal gov. 20% THC 3.5g for 18$ (12 E)

• Like Like x 1
  10. One love! WIN_20190331_23_39_35_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. They look great man, I'm sure you're going to finish up with some great bud, when people have plants that healthy at that age they breeze through the whole thing. I've seen growers do extremely well on their first run. I've also seen people struggle time and time again haha.

I wouldn't call it an expensive hobby seeing as the amount of bud you get from your very first harvest should completely cover all initial costs with the savings you get from not having to buy bud anymore. Then all the following harvests will cost hardly anything, just nutes and electricity really