Dilemma

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by dukedogg76, Dec 5, 2012.

1. I leave for vacation on 12/20. My plants will be 8 weeks of 12/12 on 12/19. If I chop them a couple days early I can get them jarred before I leave (paper towel in place of center caning covet to allow some breathing since I can't burp them til I get back 12/30). The other option is to cut them when I leave and hang dry for ten days in cool dark ventilated tent. What would you do? Pros? Cons?

2. As long as they are dry before you jar them, it should be okay. You run the risk of mold and stuff like that though.

If you're using soil/coco, I'd personally water them the day that I left, and dealt with it when I got back. The extra time couldn't hurt, and the bud will start drying on the plant. By the time you get back, I'd guess it'd be dead. From there I'd continue with the drying and curing process.

In a DWC or hydroponic setup alike, I'd just flush for the week and keep it around until you get back. With a flush you wouldn't need to PH or worry about fluctuations.

Basically, chopping early sucks. If you can, definitely chop later than sooner in my opinion.

3. Thank you for the reply. I'm in coco with a 400w CMH. I've considered letting her go until I get back, but my wife is convinced the house will burn down, and I'm worried that she'll start dying once that last watering fades and if the light is still on she will get too dried out (if there is such a thing).

Also, vegged for almost 8 weeks (until I could determine pistils from ball sacks) and at 6 weeks of 12/12 I'd say about 50% of the trichs are cloudy. Maybe more. I guess my question is do you think my plants could be finishing early due to my long ass veg period?

4. Veg period won't determine or affect the flower length at all. Its all in the genetics on how long her flower period is. You could always give the plant an "extended" dark period prior to chop for science. Let it sit in the dark for 10 days and see if that triggers it to spit out all she's got.

5. I guess my thinking was that since most growers can't determine sex until 1-2 weeks after flipping to 12/12, but I waited to switch to 12/12 until after they preflowered that I might have shaved a week off the flowering length. Not that mine finished faster but the normal growers first week of 12/12 was my last week of veg.

Thoughts? Is this just a matter of semantics?

6. Do the cut and hang for 10 days.

Better to be safe then sorry IMHO

FTR sexually mature plants respond to 12/12 quicker.