Dilemma

Discussion in 'General' started by Rollin Cr00k3d, May 19, 2012.

1. Just need some input from the mature members of GC.

I live on my own, dont go to school, but want to go to college once i get myself financially stable. I figured it would probably be a few months once i get a job of just working until i can have enough money to be able to spend more time studying and trying to get into a good school.

I have the option of moving back into my parents house aswell. This would enable me to not worry as much about being financially stable and be able to devote all my time studying to getting into a great college. Also, free food and tv etc..

So what would you blades who feel knowledgable about this recommend to do? I think i would enjoy staying on my own, but i also think moving back in with parents would be a much more efficient way to go about reaching this goal.

Knowledgable responses are appreciated.

:smoke:

2. I say you definitely go back with your parents, if you like them that is. Being financially stable is something that is definitely super important and I think you would be able to reach that goal so much faster living back with your parents!!!

Best of luck to you!

3. I would suggest a trade school or possibily a community college for two years. Universities are a waste of money unless you know you'll graduate in the top 10%.

If you're going to move back in with your parents, make sure you are ready to lose a few freedoms. It's tough going from living on your own back to your parents.

I commend you for seeking to advance your education. Just stick with it, don't get a year in and then decide to "take a break" go all or nothing.

4. I agree it would be faster, as i wouldnt be strapped having to work 40 hours a week at a min wage job to support myself, and can use that time to study and get into a school. Thanks for the reply.

5. Exactly. The reason why i would use all my time to study would be to get into a really good school, and surely come out top 10%. I figured if im going to spend a few years in a school, i better be going to a great school.

6. Do two years at a community college to attain your Associates, then transfer to a university to finish your BA or above.

It will save tens of thousands of dollars.

7. Most community colleges offer guaranteed transfer to any university in the same state after completion of an Associates degree program. Definitely the way to go.

I'm paying out of state tuition almost completely from my pocket, with only minor help from grants. No student loans, yet. My savings took a huge hit just from one year of university. I don't regret the decision, it's just hard to work full time all throughout high school and see all that hard earned money gone in an instant after paying my tuition bill.

8. I read that some top universities dont accept as many transfers as they do incoming freshman.

9. If your plan is to be in the top 10% of a good school, then you can also be in the top 10% of a community college. If you've got the grades, transferring will be simple.

Check out your states community college transfer guarantees. Back home in VA the largest community college in the state offers guaranteed transfers once your two years are up, provided you meet the degree requirements of course.

10. If you are working, keep your job and apartment and go to community college on nights and/or weekends. Then, after graduation, you can transfer to a full college as others have suggested. It takes longer, but you'll be better off in the long run.

11. That's because there's far less incoming transfers than applying freshman.

As stated above, many CC's have guaranteed acceptance. Obviously most Universities will decline a transfer if you bombed your first year, never completed your AA, and want to transfer.. that's why you do good and get your AA.

12. I dont currently have a job, am looking for one though. How would your suggestion make it better off in the long run, if it takes longer?

13. Any more input/opinions?

14. Also, im only 18, so its not like im 25 looking to move back.

15. Go back and milk that nipple ....