Digital vs Magnetic Ballasts - RFI Concerns

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mark-it-Zero, Mar 8, 2014.

1. #1 Mark-it-Zero, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
    So far the only thing Ive got for a light is a 150w sunsystem HPS I picked up used for 40$. Ive been trying to find a good price on some used lighting equipment around like 600w, Ive heard some claims that a 600w digital can produce the same results as a 1000w magnetic.

The only issue is Ive seen some people saying that some of the older digital ballasts can put out crazy amounts of RFI and kill radio signals for over a hundred feet, thus drawing unwanted attention. I'm having a really difficult time finding concrete info on which ballasts are supposed to have fixed this issue.

Is there any way to find out for sure if one of these type of ballasts will have issues with RFI, I'm having a hard time find info on "Iponic Zone" ballasts. Same one as the link just been used a few months according to the Ad.

http://www.iponiczone.com/co2-burners/digital-ballasts/iponic-zone-600w-dimmable-electronic-digital-ballast.html

2. Only info I seem to find is a few forum posts on this website and a few others somewhat recently of people having problems with the cheaper digital ballasts and RFI so I guess ill just be on the safe side and use magnetic.

3. Yeah Ive heard how to test for it but my issue is I have a limited budget. If i buy the 600w digital and it gives off too much RFI then I won't have the funds to purchase another ballast. I just wish there was more actual info, page says the ballast is fully compliant with FCC rules and regulations but what exactly does that mean? I cant find any specifics on the FCC rules for digital ballasts and what is an acceptable level of RFI.

4. #5 Doc-J, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    Its not just radio signals interfering with broadcast . Most that ive seen who have interference issues actually get detected by the cable or phone companies because the "noise" feeds back in to your power and causes problems. I havent had a ballast cause the problem, but i had another piece of equipment that caused the cable guy to trace it back to our house.

5. I have a 600w digital switchable dimmable balast. TV with cable is about 10 feet away, and I have used a tablet with wifi right next to it. I can't speak for the radio right next to it but there is no trouble about 15 feet away. I think the trouble with rfi comes from balast which have a malfunctioning shield but then I am just talking out of my ass with something I have heard lol. I have also heard it is more of a magnetic balast problem.

6. #7 bananamber, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
    I've heard horror stories of cable company techs knocking on a customer's door due to RFI, I'd be more worried about some ham radio hobbyist triangulating the interference. RFI pisses off ham radio hobbyists.

I've never had a problem with digital ballasts, except one that pumped out enough EM to pop unrelated (and overly sensitive) ground-fault fuses. Plus you can always throw a ferrite core on the wire to reduce the RF.Y

Your best bet, if you're worried about RFI, is to get a UL-approved, ANSI-approved and/or CSA-approved ballast. You can be reasonably sure it won't pump out too much RFI. I do believe Lumatek is UL-approved.

7. The noise interference depends on many factors.  
    1. The Ballast electrical frequency  2.Is the ballast sheilded. 3. Is the ground naturally hot. 4. Is your citys electrical grid in good shape and all in phase? 
    RFI is generated by all electrical devices.  A running car, coffee grinders, ect.  It could be bad grounds in your house to a unsheilded cable to your TV that lets the interference in.