digital vs magnetic ballast

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by AnonymousBuds, May 1, 2015.

1. so i have a magnetic 1000w switchible, i see these expencive digital ballasts all the time whats the diffrence and or benifits compared to magnetic???  i paid 100$ for my ballast and it came with a 1000wMH and a cheap hood. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. The old magnetic ballasts are more dependable ...feel the weight ..(heat sinks and more oil)the new digital can be adjusted up or down depending on the grow situation at the time, hence saving some serious cash on electricity, I now use my hps some 25% of my grow ..if that, .. any more, than I'd be upgrading to the new digital ballasts ..
    The old ballasts give very little issue, including RF interference, and if they cause problems its easily noticed, or by a puddle of oil seeping out otherwise like an old ford ...will go for ever, the new digital ..some cause interference on RF, many are too lite for their own good, and quickly fall of shelf or table after a easy knock

3. Digitals are slightly more efficient and put off less heat. Magnetics put out more heat and use more power but in my opinion are more reliable.

I wouldn't pay any extra for a digital unless I planned on buying one that was dimmable and actually using the function. I have a 600w digital that cost me $200 and a 1000w magnetic that cost $100 and they work equally well.

4. huh i was just curious. i have no probs with my magnetic. just wondered why they cost more. i could see if i was running a shit ton of lights id be using a ton of energy but i have no probs right now. thanks for the info guys.

5. what about savings on electricity? is there much of a difference?

6. Not a huge one, but there is a difference in favor of the digital ballast. Its been my experience that the magnetic core and coil ballasts are at a much higher risk of catching fire. I bought a magnetic 1000 watt HPS setup back in the day, plugged it in, and the fucker caught fire on the second day. It should be noted that it was made in china by some nobody company that probably couldn't give a shit about American stoners burning their grows down, so go American if you need a magnetic ballast.

7. Vostok is right. I have a friend who is a CB radio enthusiast. and when he traded his magnetic ballast with his brother for a digital, he could not talk to people anymore because of the RF. I traded him my magnetic for his digital. and he could enjoy his hobby again!