digital ballast getting hot

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by vwarner, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Hey all!
    just a quick question here.. the female plug that comes out of the ballast that connects to the male end of the light/shade has been removed (from damage) and has mar connectors now for each of the 3 wires.  proper job, the connections are very cool to the touch as is the power cord going in.
    The ballast is super hot compared to the identical one beside it, with original ballast to shade connector.
    what are your thoughts on this? just a hot ballast? or is it from the connection coming out of ballast? if it was the spliced / mar-connector section or the wires going to it would be warm right?
    This ballast replaced a previous one that burnt out. same mar-connector connection, is that why the old ballast ran hot?

help very much appreciated thanks!

2. I wondering if soldering the connections would solve the issue?

3. [​IMG]
    Get it checked out, ensure theres no leaks, or humming, but still see it as piece of mind 

The ballast does hum.  much louder them the identicle cooler one sitting beside it

5. Open it up sometime when it's not plugged in running in see if any connections inside melted,
    I had a 250 watt metal halide over my saltwater tank came home one day and all the connectors inside had melted apart

6. Theres nothing visibly wrong inside,from the sound and feel its a large capacitor in the midle thats creating the heat and buzzing, 
    cant see actual connections as all the resin is over the board.

7. You use the same wire gauge to replace it?