Digital ballast dead. Replace?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Blondie2014, Sep 8, 2018.

1. came home tonight and my light is off. Turns out the ballast is fried. The fuse was popped and pushing it in resulted in a loud noise and a small cloud of smoke. Fuck fuck fuck. Can I simply buy any new one and plug in? Or are they not all compatible? Amazon has some cheapos but not sure I have to stick with identical one? In 6th week of flower. This really blows...

• Like Like x 1
  2. It may have fried all of it. Are they expensive lights? Maybe time to upgrade?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I spent the day googling around and found a replacement. It arrived 10 minutes before my light is supposed to turn on. Only one day of no light for my girls. This ballast does not give me warm fuzzies though. I’m returning soon as I get something else. I’m hunting for a good quality ballast. Rest of everything is good. The dead ballast is 4+ years old.

4. I know I'm six months late here but I feel like what you described sounded a lot like a blown fuse, which could be replaceable for pennies. Even though you've moved on to a new ballast already, it may be worth checking out since you could then sell the old ballast.

5. Not that late to the party. Only couple weeks ago. I’m going to upgrade. Came here to post about what to get. Starting a new thread for this shortly. The fuse was popped. It is in tact. I like to fuck with things so I took it apart. There was a melted wire coming from the plug housing. Something caused the fuse to pop. Not sure what. I’m looking at a Gavita now.

6. Cool. I'm sure youve already tried replacing the fuse by now. When my first ballast died I replaced it with a digital one, Phantom I think. The ballast is one of those pieces of equipment you should be willing to splurge on a bit. They all ignite the bulb a little differently, and a nice one will make your bulbs last a bit longer and save you untold dollary-doos.

Just my .02

7. What would be a few good names? Looking for one for a winter shed grow.

8. I switched to a analog ballast for HPS. Cheaper and I figure I can repair it down the road. Unfortunately pictures don't come out well with it (lines) and there's a hum.

9. #9 David Henry, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Hi everyone!
    I'm a new member of this forum so I really want to recieve help and advice from all of you guys. Thanks in advance!
    The iPower GLBLST1000D 1000 watt digital ballast works great although this was a replacement for the one I bought a year ago.

10. I also really like iPower. It has a built-in microprocessor that automatically detects MH and HPS bulbs, negating the need for an additional switch or ballast and keeping your lighting system simple.