Diffusion Comparison 17Hole Downstem + "Diffusion Beads"

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Goreka, Oct 15, 2011.

1. #1 Goreka, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2011
    Hey everyone I've been a long time lurker of GC and I've always enjoyed it. Time to contribute a little video comparison to the community. I the mail today I'm receiving a package of 2000 green plastic "diffusion beads", they are 6mm in diameter and weight about 12g each. You can find these outrageously priced and sold as diffusion beads, they are simply airsoft bbs which you can buy locally or order of a fraction of the price.

I'm gong to be using my standard straight tube Blue Dot with my 17 hole down stem, my double braced(thank gawd) 8 hole Fathead inline and my local glassblowers bowl(Snapping).

I'm going to be upload the video and some pictures to this thread later this evening after I take them. In the video I'm going to do a side by side comparison video, it'll be great. Anyway that should be up sometime later tonight, depending on how long You Tube takes to process that shit.

Edit1: Also this is my panda! And the ups just dropped of ze package!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • IMG_0083.JPG
      IMG_0083.JPG
      File size:
      785.5 KB
      Views:
  2. [quote name='"Goreka"']Hey everyone I've been a long time lurker of GC and I've always enjoyed it. Time to contribute a little video comparison to the community. I the mail today I'm receiving a package of 2000 green plastic "diffusion beads", they are 6mm in diameter and weight about 12g each. You can find these outrageously priced and sold as diffusion beads, they are simply airsoft bbs which you can buy locally or order of a fraction of the price.

I'm gong to be using my standard straight tube Blue Dot with my 17 hole down stem, my double braced(thank gawd) 8 hole Fathead inline and my local glassblowers bowl(Snapping).

I'm going to be upload the video and some pictures to this thread later this evening after I take them. In the video I'm going to do a side by side comparison video, it'll be great. Anyway that should be up sometime later tonight, depending on how long You Tube takes to process that shit.[/quote]

Just posted a vid with diffy beads I love em. U gotta find the right ratio of water and beads

3. I agree xchadb, that's why I got the 2000 round count, I know it will be more then enough for what I need. :) Just got the stuff in, eating and I will record.

4. #4 Goreka, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2011
    Just taking a rip with the beads and the video will be uploading!:D
    I think I'm going to redo this video once I clean my piece up next weekend.

Here is a photo of the setup. Video is compiling.

Attached Files:

5. Video is up, should be done processing soon. Should be 1080p.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHre_m9MGDw]Diffusion Beads - YouTube[/ame]

6. I've decided to redo this video with my piece cleaned and some different cameras.

7. Too much water after beads were added... also I'd like to see it without the added drag from the ash-catcher, just to get a better idea of how the beads work.

And it sounds like you are sucking on that tube hard as fuck.

8. I used to use diffusion beads, the "stones" brand ones....2 points about this video...First off you need to lower the water level for the second test, you don't need water above the beads really, just enough to cover them is plenty, or less, and second one of the problems with using bbs like that is that they get churned up with the water, so they don't help with diffusion as much since the bubbles simply move them rather than break up around them. You may be able to put more bbs in the tube and have the water level low enough that they wont get tossed around much and still help with diffusion.
    The stones are large/heavy enough that they won't get displaced during the hit, but I still don't know if they are really worth the price, I stopped using them when I switched to stemless tubes...couldn't get them in the tube anymore, but while they helped they seemed like more hassle than benefit.

9. It is a gimmick to separate you from your cash. You could use small pebbles and they would do the same thing. A diffusion down stem is far less ghetto, far more clean, and a far easier drag than with all those marbles in your tube. Who the hell wants to deal with marbles or beads in their fine glass piece. I tried it and I hate it. More mess, harder pulls, harder to clean.

10. i had some airsoft BBs so i gave this a whirl out of my little sheldon black beaker. while i dont notice any real improved diffusion the little plastic balls did knock a lot of the gunk and resin of my piece. not all bad i guess

11. Alright. BB's "soften" smoke and add surface area for the "water" (although they are only BB's).

No. They don't. The BB's may, may, break up the bubbles into smaller ones to help with cooling. Other than that, they just add another problem to the cleaning process.

12. what cleaning process it's a straight tube, no?

dump them out
    clean
    add new BBs (if you're into that)

13. diffusion beads=fail... I just wasted 20mins messing with them and 20 mins cleaning them out of a stemless tube..so annoying.

14. i put em a beaker, i dont imagine it'll be hard getting them out

15. I was about to make a thread about these. My bong is like a canister with a built in down stem and it hits fine. My friend recommended I use "diffusion beads" to make it so it filters more. But it doesn't seem like its worth it now that I read this. Anyone got any advice?

16. [quote name='"WestCoast510"']I was about to make a thread about these. My bong is like a canister with a built in down stem and it hits fine. My friend recommended I use "diffusion beads" to make it so it filters more. But it doesn't seem like its worth it now that I read this. Anyone got any advice?[/quote]

Honestly if you have a bong that can have attachments and what not, you are better off buying said attachments- ash catchers, CF, what have you..

But if you have like a cheap bong, mini bong, throw some beads on there and its better off than before, IMO

17. i dont like the drag they cause

18. Get an Arizer Extreme Q

19. no. i dont like Vapes. the G pen is okay i guess if you need something portable but if i'm at home it's 95% of the time going to be a good old flame on flowers via the bong

i feel like vaporizing is a waste of weed, it takes forever to get medicated

20. I love the beads, I filled my stemless with them and I can snap a whole bowl and not cough, I would cough a bit with out them. And I barely notice a difference in drag.