Diffuser stuck in glass on glass joint

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Duddets, Apr 17, 2012.

1. So ever since I got this Doctor tube I've had problems getting the diffuser out, it finally got stuck in there for good unfortunately. I searched and found a few posts where people said hot water or to freeze it, which looks like usually ends up with it breaking. So any help? It's been stuck for a while so it's getting nasty dirty... so if I could get it out without breaking that would be prime :smoke:

Also in case it breaks I'm trying to figure out the size of the replacement diffuser I would need to buy so I took some pics that should give you a good idea of how big it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. First off, if you cleaned your pipe circa anytime between the res blocking up on the walls and it blacking out around the tube you would be able to remove your.diffuser.

Now that that is out of the way, a wooden spoon handle should work. Stick it between the diffuser and joint and pry at it very slightly until you get to release. Be VERY careful, but I saw this working on res locked stems in another thread.

Pick yourself up some simple green concentrate and soak it every once in awhile (maybe once a week? I do every couple days, soaking my slide every night). Itll be brand new after a soak, pour, and rinse and youll be much happier with the rips.

Hope this helps, happy tokin man.

3. boil it .. get a lsrge pot, fill with water, bring to a boil
    slides right out

ur welcome

4. Boiling is probably the best way to go for that mess. I'd say buy a large pot specifically for this task and boil the whole thing. After you're done, just throw it out (or reclaim the resin if you're into that kind of stuff). *IMPORTANT*: Be sure to let the pot cool gradually and leave it alone until it does. Quick temperature changes could destroy a perfectly good piece. (I said COULD, not WILL)

Good luck and happy CLEAN toking! :bongin:

5. He said it got dirty AFTER it was locked and also said he was having difficulty with it right when he bought it. Don't assume he doesn't take care of his glass, it could just be water locked as most of the time moisture between the female and male ends cause it to lock up tightly. I have had this happen and yes, the way i got it unstuck was taking a thin wooden spoon and placing it between the joint and diffuser and lightly pried it out. It just popped out like it was never stuck at all:rolleyes:. For future reference when cleaning your bong make sure that all joints both female and male are completely dry before you insert them.

6. Yeah it was clean when it happened so I don't think it's due to resin. It looks like it's water locked, you can see a ring of water all the way around it. If I boil it do I let it cool before pulling it out?

Thanks for all the help guys

7. wow dude...for one dont ever let it get that dirty...Two, go to your lhs and pick up some simple green and clean that bitch...I'm SURE that'll help. Btw the GOG connection you have is for an 4 1/2" - 5 1/2" 18-14mm Downstem. Your Joint size on the pipe is an 18.8mm, the slide itself a 14.4mm.

8. Get a torch of some sort, and hold it along the base of the GonG joint, heat up the resin and then twist and it should slide right out... happens to all my pieces pretty much consistently because of oil getting everywhere

9. [quote name='"Glass Bastard"']wow dude...for one dont ever let it get that dirty...Two, go to your lhs and pick up some simple green and clean that bitch...I'm SURE that'll help. Btw the GOG connection you have is for an 4 1/2" - 5 1/2" 18-14mm Downstem. Your Joint size on the pipe is an 18.8mm, the slide itself a 14.4mm.[/quote]

This man knows his shit.

10. Apply heat to soften the resin, wrap a rag around it or something to get grip, then start twisting it out slowly.

11. Soak in Simple Green then try to remove it. Next time invest in some of this:
    [​IMG]
    Joint Wax™

12. Dont use a torch if it is frozen becuase your whole joint will break off . Ive got 2 tubes sitting here that HAD the same problem.

13. just heat up the stem with a lighter for a min then try twisting it around till it comes out