Diffuser stuck in downstem

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Bermejo, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Recently i've purchased a new 22 arm percolator bong, and after two days i come home to find that the diffuser is stuck in the downstem. I haven't cleaned it yet, and I believe resin is what's making it stuck, as i've been using it a lot. I tried running it under hot water, and i'm going to buy 420 Bong Cleaner today to see if that'll work to get the diffuser unstuck. However, does anyone have any ideas?

2. my buddy broke his bong trying to get his out... Would running really cold water over it help?

3. Buy Grunge Off Super Soak... It's way better than formula 420.

It may also be joint-lock where water gets in between the glass on glass joint and creates a vacuum making it almost impossible to get out.

Some things that I've heard will remedy that on this forum is...

Toss it in the freezer for long for 20 min or so make sure its 100% dry first....the joint will shrink from the cold and it should slip right out.

I've also heard tapping the joint with a wooden spoon will release it...not sure of the physics but it doesn't sound impossible.

Hope this helps.

4. All you can do is keep trying. Its most likely not resin..that wouldn't be too hard to just pull out in most cases, especially if you've used just regular hot water. I would try tapping on it with something wooden, and try heating around the glass joint to try to make it expand slightly so you can slide it right out.

5. i know tapping around the joint with a wooden spoon has worked miracles for many a blade. soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo id probably try that.

6. go with bladeyoustain, and flammzrant's advice.

7. WOODEN SPOON, give it a couple wacks

8. I've had my alex-k stuck on my piece before. I just poured grunge off into the tube, and after about 5 minutes i came back and pulled it right out.

9. +1 to wooden spoon. Also try wiggling the downstem, just get a few finger grip on the top of the stem and push it from side to side as you pull out - it's worked for me many many times.

10. I went with grunge off super soaker, and sloshed it around for about twenty minutes - my piece looks great, but the diffuser is still suck. I tried tapping it with a wooden spoon, lightly. Then I put some more grunge off into the diffuser and let it sit for about twenty minutes, then rinsed it out and tried to get it unstuck by wiggling it side to side. No dice. Finally, I took out all the water and put it in the freezer for twenty minutes and got the spoon and tried getting it out again (using the spoon lightly, I didn't want the cold glass to break or crack). Still nothing. :( Any have any other ideas? The diffuser won't budge.

11. Heat it up with a blowtorch

12. No! Nononono.
    Do not heat it up with a blow torch, thats fucking stupid.

I agree with the gentle spoon tapping.

13. Last time my diffuser stuck in my downstem I hit it with my oxyacetaline welder, then threw the bong in my pool

[​IMG]

14. just leave the damn thing in there, why do you need to take it out?

15. #15 Bermejo, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
    Just the fact that i spent 300 dollars on a perc, to have it get joint-locked because of my own ignorance. Welp, lesson learned, & it still does it's job. :smoke:

Was cleaning my percolator today(I figured if it had to be joint locked it might as well look pretty) with some grunge off, and after i pour it back in the bottle and start rinising, I randomly try to pull the diffuser out and - POP, just came right out. No idea what might have unstuck it, or if it was just a temporary problem, but thanks grasscity and it's users - if it weren't for you and all your ideas the diffuser would still be stuck in there.