Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Difficult to attend college and smoke regularly?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by stainer712, May 2, 2007.

1. I find the attention problems caused by smoking marijuana a minor annoyance in terms of going to school and completing work, but I can deal with them as of now easily. What I am worried about is the possibility of these effects becoming exponentially worse over time as I continue casual use. (3 days a week.) For those of you who have smoked marijuana for a time and have gone to school, has doing so greatly impeded your progress or affected your abilities to comprehend what you're learning? I'm going to medical school for eight years and don't want to take any risks.

2. well, i'm an aspiring physics major and if there's one thing i've realized, it's that memory is important for me. I find myself using old formulas, math tricks, etc. that i wouldn't remember if i got stoned on a reguar basis. Because of this, i tend to not smoke during the school year. If you want to be a doctor, i'd suggest the same or at least limited smoking. It's your decision, but being a med student i'd imagine you're going to need a good memory in the long run. just my 2 cents

3. i just finished college and will be graduating in 12 days. ive been smoking since i started high school and been doing it every day since my freshman year of college. i got all my work in on time, didnt fail any classes (B average), and my professors are all impressed by my work (3D modeling and animation). i feel like i get more engrossed in my work when im high, and end up putting in more time because i just work until i feel finished, not when its late or something.

it depends on how you function with pot. some people can do it, some cant.

4. Congratulations bro, that's quite a feat.

I go to college and smoke all the time, hell, I smoke before classes on occasion as well.

You really need to have that capability to function, you either have it or you don't.

Bottom line-it's not that hard.

5. I don't find it much harder to do work after i get high, but I'm worried about whether or not the effects get progressively worse. I guess what i'm trying to ask is whether or not it will ever be harder to think the day after the fiftieth or so occasional session than it was after the first session. IE: Do you feel that your brain is different after staying sober for a while than before you started smoking?

6. I found the opposite to be true. You have to learn how it works best for you. Marijuana does affect your brain chemistry, it is a mind altering drug, but it can be beneficial or at least not adverse to your cognitive functioning.

7. Well im going to school as a mechanical engineer in my sophmore year and I have been smoking everyday since the beginning of my freshman year. I have found that I can still do homework and get my stuff done and that in some respects smoking has helped me think outside the box when it comes to doing my calculus hw but marijuana has it various effects on different people. It greatly depends on how it effects you on a personal that will depict how much you should or should not smoke everyone mental capactiy is different.

8. Haha weed helps you do your calculus hw? That's so funny. I can never smoke before I do my calc hw...I tried it once and all the symbols like freaked me out.

9. I find smoking a little helps me a lot in terms of mood and accomplishing work.

however... if i smoke a shitload... i just wind up not doing shit.

10. I go to college, full time with a nice 3.0 gpa and I smoke every chance I get.

The only time I have problems with school is when bad shit happens around me and I get mad bummed..

11. I attend college and smoke quite regularly (at least twice a day). I'm a theology major and so naturally I am taking a lot of theology classes but also a lot of philosophy classes. I find that smoking a little bit (like someone said previously) helps me to grasp these large, abstract ideas. However, smoking a lot makes me unmotivated and causes me to have a hard time focusing on my work. I often smoke before my classes, however I usually only smoke a puff or two (the same if I have a lot of homework to do). If I smoke this small amount I find that it has no effect on how I do my work and actually often helps me to get it done (in the sense that I feel like can accomplish the task at hand, it helps me to not feel overwhelmed by the amount of work that I have to do).

I guess what I am saying is that it all depends on the subject that you have to study. If you are studying more abstract topics (like theology of philosophy) then, by all means, you can smoke. However, if you are studying more concrete things (possibly like medicine), then maybe grass wouldn't be the best idea. It really depends on how it affects you. If, after you smoke, you find that your mind begins to wander drastically into abstract thoughts, then don't smoke when you have to tackle literal things. However, if you find that after you smoke you are more than able to conquer literal things, then smoke when you do that.

Hope this helps.

12. *reads this thread while high instead of studying*

13. just have to set your priorities

I'm doing pretty well (pre-med) and smoking 3-4 times a week. I make sure I've got all of my work done then smoke at night. Anytime I feel like closing my books and just lighting up right then, I just remember why I'm there, how much my parents are spending, and that I can always smoke later.

14. Exactly! I'm an Economics and Finance double major junior, and I've smoked almost everyday, several times a day since jr high school. You just have to realize how you work school-wise. On the average school-day, I can smoke pretty much all day and be alright (high B, low A) with any papers or homework that may be due. I have never failed a class due to smoking. However around finals time, I try to limit myself to around two or three sessions a day. But that's basically only a week and a half out of every semester. I'm in dead week (the review week before finals that you don't learn anything new in lectures and regular semester tests are over) right now and blazing as we speak! Good times.

However, if you're the type of person that smokes and forgets that life exists... you may want to go to weekend use. All you really have to do is be honest with yourself, and analyze what type of smoker you are. If you don't lie to yourself, you'll find the perfect mix of smoking, school and social life.

Peace!
    -Antwan L.

15. difficult to attend college and not smoke regularly

16. Words to live by my friends....

:bongin:

17. I smoke alot of weed and dropped out of my auto college. Wasn't cause the smoking though.

18. I hear ya.

19. Smoking is the ultimate way for me to focus on my work...I've completed assignments the day they were do while blazed out of my mind on purp.
    ...the paper was about marijuana use tho...:smoking:

20. I am a junior in college right now and my grades are fine. I've learned how to manage my time and know when I need to study and when I can smoke. I do smoke a lot though when i'm doing bs projects or papers because it makes it more interesting to me.