Different strains, different grow speeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mendoman, Jun 11, 2009.

1. #1 mendoman, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
    So, I planted my first clone on May 3rd (Blue Dragon, an Indica/Sativa hybrid) and it took off quite well. I then planted 2 more clones on May 12th (Grandaddy Purp and Grapefruit Kush) and they have just exploded with growth, far surpassing the first one. The first strain also has much smaller leaves than the others.

They are all healthy, but the question remains: do different strains really differ that much in growth speeds?

PS: I'll attach photos if requested.

2. Yes genetics and strains play a huge role in growth.

3. You can see a prime example of that going on to a bunch of bagseed plants I got going here:

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/406978-unconventional-grow-possible-herm-pics.html

You can see the difference in heights of them all, yet they are all in the same soil, getting the same water, same nutes, same light, etc etc.

They were just random seeds I selected out of my seed collection. I have probably upwards of 1000 seeds I"ve collected over the years for if I ever thought of growing. Plus I like to throw a few in the flower beds at churches from time to time..

4. If you look at my thread here -> Does this appear to be a nitrogen deficiency? (photos attached!) - Grasscity.com Forums from 9 days ago, you can see the size (and nitrogen deficiency) of the Blue Dragon, and the size of the other 2.

Here they are today:

Blue Dragon, getting healthier
    [​IMG]

Grandaddy Purp growing like crazy
    [​IMG]

And the seemingly possessed Grapefruit Kush, that cannot be stopped.
    [​IMG]

It's probably more a case of the two Indicas growing at breakneck speed as opposed to the other one being necessarily a slow grower.