Different lights

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SupaaBaked, Apr 9, 2013.

1. #1 SupaaBaked, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
    Ok so as far as I'm concerned plant grow bulbs aren't worth dick. I wouldn't trust one to grow bacteria in my toilet. All they did was keep my cfl's so hot they were hard to keep close to the plant, i had the plant light 10 inches higher. Today i said enough is enough and switched them out for new cfl's i had around the house. I think they will do a lot better.

I now have 2 55w 6500k, 1 55w 2700k and 3 13w 6500k. Im gonna switch the 3 13w for 55's and add 2 more y splitters with 55w so ill bave 8 55w bulbs. I know that will get me through harvest.

Attached Files:

2. More light

3. Dkd you not read where i said I'm eventually going to have 8 55w? I know i have insufficient lighting dude.

4. Nah I didn't read just looked at the pics. And
    I'm a dudett

5. Nice improvement. Keep us updated :bongin:

6. #6 MaineCronic, Apr 9, 2013
    The 8 55's will do a lot better than what you got now.

Ever consider an HPS system? 400w HPS will be 5x, if not more, better than 400w of CFL im my opinion .. Real good 400w systems can be as low as 100 bucks. It would be worth the extra 80 or so dollars than youll pay for the 55's

Im a huge advocate for HTG Supply and the products they sell. Here is a 400w system for $119

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTGSupply-400-watt-High-Pressure-Sodium-Grow-Light.asp

7. Of course i have. Ive found a 600w cooltube system with MH and HPS bulbs for 180. I think im gonna go with that and worst comes to worst ill have to buy better bulbs for it. The ones it comes with should be fine though right?

8. #9 MaineCronic, Apr 9, 2013
  9. That is a good light. What are you going to put it in though? You should have a grow area of at least 1 meter by 1 meter (3.5 by 3.5 feet) to suport that type of light coverage. It would give your two plants one hell of a lot more light than what those cfls would ever do.

Otherwise a 400 watt light would also do the trick for a growing area of 5 to 8 square feet. This guy on ebay sells 400 watt models with a cool tube for under 150. 400W 400 Watt HPS MH Grow Light System Set Premium Kit DIMM Green House iPower | eBay

10. I plan on setting up perpetual so ill always have 4 plants in flowering. Id rather spent the extra 10 or 20 bucks to get the 600 over the 400. I want them to use as much light as they can a d I've heard some people say that they don't do less that 200w a plant.

11. Do u have a hydro store near by ?

12. It all depends on your growing area such as size, shape, and what type of light you are using. I like to pair 600 watt lights with about 1 meter by 1 meter (3.5 feet by 3.5 feet or 40" by 40") tents. They fit that area perfectly. Otherwise for a 400 watt light, I have seen tents that are 32" by 32" which is just over 7 square feet. Again, perfect for a 400. Now the plant sizes will of course depend on that growing space. You don't want just one plant under a 600 watt light. I think that four plants under a 600 is perfect. However I would also do four plants under a 1000 watt light, but that would be a bigger growing area so therefor the plants would be bigger. In that case it would be 250 watts per plant. Bigger the plant the more light which is needed. But if you grow them too big, they all compete with each other for space, and then yield decreases. Please note that this info is mostly for the size of the plant in late flowering. You can actually easily veg 8 plants under a 600 in a 40" by 40" grow area. That will support all 8 plants during veg, but you would want another 600 and another square meter of grow area for the other 4 plants to start flowering.

13. Im doing it in my closet. Its a 2x6x8 i do believe give it take a few inches

14. I think I would recommend two 400 watt lights in that case. A 600 will work. The 2 feet part of it won't be hard to cover. Its the part that is 6 feet long which would be hard to cover with a 600. I would do two 400s and probably dim them. Or start out with one 400 for veg and fire up the 2nd one as the plants need more space in flower. It might seem like a little much, but not really since these things can handle lots of light as long as you use a cool tube for each light to keep your temps down.

15. I just got this same light in the mail today but it was 167 when I got it ;)

16. How much more power would running 2 4's vs a 6? That would also cost twice the price of just getting the one. Im with you on having 2 vs one since you can get spread the light out better. Maybe someday ill get 2 400's and use the 600 for veg. I just split a bowl with my gf of some kinda blueberry and some kinda pineapple and it took me 10 minutes to type this because i lose concentration half way through the word and fuck the spelling up then lose it some more lol.

17. I could have sworn it was when i put it in my wishlist lol. It was kinda trippin me out when i looked at it to post that link an it said 190.

18. I have an ipower 400 watt light and it uses 320 watts at 75% dimming. I also have a 600 watt hps and it takes about 630 watts. Also, it wouldn't be twice the cost since 400 watt lights are cheaper than 600 watt lights. However it will be more costly than one 600 watt light, but it will provide better coverage and more yield. The amount of yield gained from the extra light would be worth it alone. Besides, you have 12 feet of grow area. A 400 watt light puts out about 55,000 lumens.

55,000 x 2 = 110,000 total lumens / 12 ft growing space = 9166 lumens per square foot. The sun does 10,000 or more lumens per square foot so thats actually a very good number. Thats a lot of light for indoor growing, but it would grow some good bud.

This guy on ebay has them lights for $150.
    400W 400 Watt HPS MH Grow Light System Set Premium Kit DIMM Green House iPower | eBay

19. Thanks for everything. Ill do that eventually i just cant afford the extra hundred right now.