Different Flowering times????

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mode, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Alright so 12/12 buds well 8/8 buds faster this is true...

(8/8 is 8 hours on 8 hours off 8 hours)

i figured since 8/8 is pretty much 16/8 would this work?

ON 8-4 (8 hours) ........................16 ON
    OFF 4-8 ( 4 hours)...................... 8 off
    ON 8-12 (4 hours)
    OFF 12-3 (3 hours)
    On 3-7 (4 hours)
    OFF 7-8 (1 HOUR)

2. No chance that's going to work. The plants need 12 hours of darkness to flower. There is no point trying to find a different light schedule it's just a waste of time. 18/6 or 24/0 is what most people use while vegging their plants. 12/12 for flowering. Anything else your just wasting time.

3. hey man never heard of changing the flowering light cycle to 8/8 is this realy true,does it flower faster? have you seen this for you're self?

4. I would say no and it's a bunch of BS. My first time hearing of that, and it will not in anyway make it bud faster or better IMO.

5. 8/8 works look it up.... it works very good
    8 on 8 off 8 on = 1 day

every two days you gain a day so every 2 days =3

and so every week you gain 3.5 days so every 2 weeks = 3 weeks

6. Its still going to take the same amount of days in the real world before you can harvest the plant, and its mature, which is around 60+. You won't getter better or bigger buds doing it that way, if anything its probably stressing the plant. I do admit I have never tried it or have researched that at all but from personal experience it just sounds dumb to me, IMO.

7. So, here is the issue with this logic, the 12/12 system is used to trigger a natural process in the plant that it uses to recognize the cold time of year is approaching, and that the plant can not survive it. This triggers the budding process where the plant sets up the next generation. By fruiting and dropping seeds the plant ensures that it's genetic line will continue.

At no point in nature does the plant ever see an 8 hour day, followed by an 8 hour night and so on (in the northern latitudes you can see an 8 hour day, but it is followed by a 16 hour night).

I did find a couple papers on the intertubes, that indicated that a shorter day can lead to a faster flowering period. But in all of those cases they were using a standard 24 hour period, so 10 hours of light would mean 14 hours of dark. None of them were attempting to change the standard day length to 16 hours (which is what you are proposing).

I see this as very likely to net you some hermies (if anything) as the plant will never get onto a natural cycle, and light stress is the one thing I have seen repeatedly referred to as a cause for Hermaphroditus. Plants evolved in a 24 hour day cycle, they will not be likely to respond very well to a change in this.

All of that said, if you try it and you discover a new technique for growing faster/better weed, GREAT! If you are gungho for it, try it and post the results (be honest tho, forged results do science no good). I for one am interested in seeing the outcome, tho I do not believe it will be pretty...

8. Not to sound disrespectfull buddy BUT there is no way to save time/gain a day with your plant a 12 week sativa will not finish in 8 cuz you used a light schedule like that and I strongly advise against it. the best out come is going to be less that desireable. like I said no disrespect intended but this light schedule thing has been beat to death and I have not seen sucessfull grow with a schedule like that in over 25 years of play time.

9. When you say "look it up", can you reference a specific source on this?

10. BILLY MAYS here telling YOU that PLANTS ARE DUMB. With my NEW Revolutionary "Quick Sun", you could be eating your own vegetables and fruits in fractions of the time! OR let them grow longer for HUGE HARVESTS.

...If shorter is better, then why not just have 2on/2off and turn 1 day into 6!

11. ^THAT^. Cause I just believe this, or respect you for posting this unless there is empirical evidence proving this works for ANY indoor gardening (if you can find research for this on MJ, mad props.)

12. I read an article YEARS ago that endorsed the compressed schedule.

Never heard any actual results, though.

13. The plants have a hormonal reaction to flower that is induced by 12 or more hours uninterrupted dark. Less than that and the plant either won't flower or will do so poorly.

This reminds me of the old Steven Wright joke about a time he and a friend drove cross-country and they split the driving -- by switching every mile...