Different dimmensions?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by The "D", Oct 23, 2003.

1. That makes sense to me. If we consider the reductionists view that the inception of the universe was the result of a viodal state (where nothing existed) that fluctuated and gave cause for the creation of a non viodal state (a singularity) then for one state to exist, there has to concurrently be an opposite state (which ties in with the laws of duality) which rotates from being voidal / non voidal.....

Could be wrong though.

2. Ok, I know this thread is old but I liked it alot = ]. Now, mathmatics and science really isn't my thing so please correct me, but I thought that the 3rd dimension was length, height, and volume (width). Now if that's right...everything we know is made up of those things...thats the extremes of physical mathmatics...but lets say that instead we lived in a 2 dimensional world where we only existed on one plane...and lets say that all that we knew was length and height since that's all that our world was made up of, we would have no knowledge of volume and it wouldn't be conceivable because nothing we know would have that characteristic. Couldn't it be possible that there is a 4th physical dimension that exists but it's impossible to picture or even imagine because everything we know exists in the 3rd and our knowledge is restriced to length, width, and height? Like I said, please correct me on my mathematical errors

3. Yes and no...

Our physical being is a "shadow" (in lack of better words) of all dimentions togeter, thrown against the 3 dimentions that together are space.
    However-we live in the 4. dimention, too (which, by the way, Told, is time), so our body is us in space and what we have done, said, however we have influenced the world is us in the 4. dimention.

4. That's fuckin strange. My friend was talkin about that in philosophy class the other day. my friend and i were trying to find out what the fourth dimension is. and he said that our bodies are in the 3rd and our shadows are the 2nd. then he's like what if we're the shadows of 4th dimensional beings? try to construct something that is 4 dimensional. you can't makeone so you can't see it. that's why we can't see our beings of whom we are the shadows. god "could" be the 4th dimension because we are created in his image so all that we do is a direct action of our 4 dimensional beings and they control us without our knowing it. so maybe our brains, thoughts, and minds are the 4th dimensions.. like brainwaves.

when this was proposed to a fundamental baptist he dismissed it as the stupidist thing he's ever heard, but then again he believes in god so i can't really trust what he was to say about spirituality. you can't possibly know that a god exists. there is no way you can know that.

^^^ I M O

5. Has anyone read this at all? I tried to tell you several times. The fourth dimention is defined in physics!!!!!! It is....................TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

And just as a shadow is a 2-dimentional projection of our 3-dimentional being, you can project os from the fourth dimention onto a 3 dimentional space. That would be a single 3-dimentional snapshot of us (unfortunately we can't produce them at home yet).

6. I've heard for years that the fourth dimension is time, but I have a hard time with that. We can move back and forth in one dimension, many more ways in 2 dimensions, and even more ways in 3 dimensions. As far as I know, we've only gone forward through time and at a set rate, too. Either we can travel through time (which I do believe is a possibility if we can work out the physics) or time is a figment of our imaginations to keep us from going insane b/c we actually only exist now. No future. No past. Now. We invented the idea of time to seperate what we've done from our now and what we want to do. And if time is a dimension and we can vary our direction and velocity through it, there shouldn't be a great big debate about whether "time travel" or travel in your 4th dimension, is even possible.

7. I think that that is right on, that's the way I see things at least. Reality is only now, future and past can be conceptualized but when ya think about it, reality (right at this very moment) is something that really can't even be put into words...I didn't say that very good, but if ya get my idea...

8. No..we invented the idea of time to be able to navigate on the sae. And to be able to schedule. THEN we thought about dimentions and some clever heads came up with the idea to call time the 4th dimention.

Now, dimention 1,2,3 are easy. Everyone can see'em. If you can't imagine a 4th dimention not being physical, this whole discussion is totally wasted. Time has an effect on the three dimentional space. Without time there would be no change i space and we wouldn't be able to move in these three first dimentions. Everything would be "frozen" like a snapshot.

You can imagine it this way: Take a dice which represents space. Now strech a string through yer room. This is the time axis. If the dice is still on one ppoint on this axis, yuo have a snapshot in time. To get the next picture (snapshot), space (dice) must move a little bit further on the time-axis.

I do hope we find the means to travel in time, cause I, too, think it could be possible.

9. It is a matter of relativism of mythologies. We are actually at square one in trying to figure out the nature of being in the world.When you take about something like quantum physics and relating it to a fractal by saying a fractal is a curve that, by virtue of its complexity, attains a partial dimension more of self-exression in the universe. I think psychedelics show that the interphasing between an ordinary world of three-dimensional experience and these higher-dimensional spaces can be attained. The psychedelic allows, by rasing us a fraction of a dimension, some kind of contemplative access to hyperspace and this also eludes description, because what your doing is directly experiencing something in hyperspace, trying to pour it into the vessel of language, more specifically english, taking it down 10 dimensions so to speak, and putting it in the form of something which once you knew, being language, its a dimension whose measure cannot be taken

10. I think the concept of time was invented long before sea travel and navigation. Maybe not the idea of it as a seperate dimension, but the idea of time itself did.

11. Yeah, you're right there. I fucked up. They invented portable precision clocks for navigating. I keep mixing up these things...

12. As far as everyone who keeps saying the 4th dimension is time... I believe this was reffering to spatial dimensions. The math and physics behind calculating things in these dimensions seems easy enough to comprehend, but I'm not really a physics person. As far as visualizing just remember, we live in the third dimension but we only see in two dimensions but with depth perception. I have a hard enough time visualizing 3 dimensions when you realize that depth perception isn't truly seeing 3 dimensions. You can feel 3 dimensions, I wonder if anyone's ever felt into the fourth.

13. There are only 3 spacial dimentions.