Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Differences between Sativa and Indica??

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by stoner640, Oct 5, 2009.

1. what exactly are the VISUAL differences between the two? (the bud, that is) i've heard that indica is loose nugs with orange hairs and I heard sativa is loose nugs with orange hairs... so i have no idea what both actually look like.

Also, actual pics would help ;)

2. im pretty sure sativa is loose nugs while indica is dense nugs. Visually you can't tell for sure.

3. Just from looking at buds you will not be able to know the difference. Perhaps if you had two side by side you would see minor differences but nothing is there to clue you in when you're just holding an unknown bud.

I have seen loose and dense buds from both plants so that's definitely not your indicator

4. You can simply google it...
    Sativa's are generally lighter in nature, have a fruity smell, and cause more of a head high.

Indicas are darker in color, they tend to smell skunky, and it causes more of a body high.

Personally i prefer sativas most of the time because indicas make me feel lazy and tired.

5. mind & body

6. Agreed. Though Indica in my experience is more likely to have denser buds than Sativa in terms of weight. Another indicator seems to be the smell for me, a strong musky earthy smell often indicates an Indica, while a fruity or interesting smell is usually a Sativa.

An interesting thing I've noticed is that most well grown Sativa will look like dank while with Indica a lot of it still looks like mids, even if it smokes just as good as any dank. Anyone else notice this?

7. I have. My last pick up actually was like this. It appeared to be some reggies but i smoked a bowl and was glued to my buddies couch for an hour. :smoke:

8. I hate sativa ;)

I don't even buy headies anymore since most are hybrids, imo the sativa taints the weed. Sativa is exactly what I DON'T what from a weed high.

Personally, head high is useless to me and the fact that it keeps you awake only makes it worse. I smoke weed for the couch lock, body high tbh.

9. I have somewhat, the only indica up here is dro, which, luckily, is the most common bud here. Dro always looks good but sometimes i'll get "joe average dro" that'll knock me on my ass.

10. Plant speaking, sativas grow much taller and often have a longer flowering time. Also, this can make it a little more challenging for a grower to harvest quality bud organically. My local cannabis dispensary charges more money for most sativas partially because there's more room for error for the grower.......kinda off your subject a bit....I blame my Blackberry Kush.
    :smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking:

11. I prefer sativa. I like feeling waves roll down my body, as i am feeling right now :smoking: but in terms of feeling youl know when you have a sativa. i had no clue this bud i had at one point was sativa and it felt like my head was being pumped full of air. it was brown though and dense

12. A body high is indica bro. Then again, your head being pumped full of air is sativa >.> idk you probably smoked some hybrids, unless you don't mean a body high.

Either way I hate sativa, I have no desire for the outdoor high and the head high. I'm all for the couch lock body high.

13. #13 Chinagrass420, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2009
    its hard to tell visually ( especially w/ all the hybrids) but if its purple it almost definitely a sativa.
    imo all 3 types have ups and downs but i usually rock sativa (specifically purp haze) cuz it usually gives me a clear energetic, yet chilled out high which i find is great for skating

Edit: if u see the actual plant
    tall and slim= sativa
    short and fat= indica

although this is not always definite because some/most growers grow their plants in ways that they produce more bud by changing the shape.

14. Well i'm no expert, but I do know that purple kush is a pure indica strain and it's purple, so are you sure your right about that?

15. ^^^ Stoned when I wrote that post ^^^

I prefer Indica. I like the body high. I like being immobile :bongin:
    I am kinda weirded out by straight sativa, my head feels like its detached from my body.

the few times i have gotten straight sativa it was brown and look kinda shitty, but it ,messes you up

16. the way i judge it is by color mostly. indica is darker and usually has fatter buds, smells earthy. sativa is lighter green and skinnier, longer buds, smells fruity, and the buds are usually fluffier. i don't know if that's just because of the weed here or if thats a proven thing

17. fruity smell=sativa
    piney smell=indica