difference between MH & HPS bulbs

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bighen101, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Hi,
    Can someone please explain the difference between difference between MH & HPS bulbs? Im running a 400w ballast. I'm trying to figure out the difference as for as when they are used during the growth stage. Is one used before the other? If so please explain why. Also, what are some other good brands of MH & HPS bulbs?

Thanks.

2. HPS lighting is yellow, like when the sun is about to go down for the night, or dawn for that matter, Mh is as white as the mid day sun about noon, vegging plants do well under noon,midday. or 6500-ish kelvin, and budding plants do well under warm white or red, 2700 -ish kelvin, almost lke the plant is running outta time and gotta make seeds before winter hits....well thats the logic ????? ...seems to work, although not a tight rul, as you may veg and bud under any kelvin light, the rules works best

peace
    "V"

3. mh veg/hps bud...

4. So I start with MH from seed to veg, them swap the bulb to HPS for flowering

5. Yes, but keep the Mh bulb very high off the seed initially, better to use cfl for first 10 days

6. What kind of cfl light T5 or T8? How many watts?

7. #7 Tomato Dog, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps give an idea on the color different spectrum of grow lights

8. The idea is the seed don't need light, but heat 25c/75f is ideal, so long as she's kept warm she'll grow, then soft light is required for the first set of leaves for about 10 days after that let your light rip, but at a distance, I suggest just a small lamp with a 25w cfl, but if you have a flouro use that ...

9. ok i just got the florescent light and a Hortilux blue bulbwhats a good HPS bulb?