Difference between male and female plants?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kushmaster42, Jun 7, 2010.

1. I want to start my own plants soon and I have been looking at seeds from seed banks and it will say (feminized) by some and not others. I would like to know the differences like do the feminized grow faster or does it really matter? also the feminized are always a little bit more so I'm guessing something is better with them? :confused:

2. the feminized are all female seeds... unfeminized will give you male and females...

male plants are distinguishable by the banana-looking ballsacks they develop in clusters that contain pollen, which produce seeds in female plants...

female plants have white pistils that show up in preflowering, which eventually cakes up to form buds, what you smoke...

i use regular seeds in case i find something i really like, i can always produce my own seeds... but then again, in a normal grow you can waste alot of time and dirt on males... so to each his own...

3. ^This.

You can only smoke female bud, hence the availability of feminized seeds. "Regular" seeds are a 50/50 crap-shoot. You won't know the gender of each plant until you grow it out and flower it or clone the plants and flower the clones.

I prefer feminized seeds because it is cheaper to pay a premium for seeds than to buy seeds where maybe half will end up in the trash (males), especially after the extra soil, nutes, pots, space, lighting, electricity, carbon scrubbing, and all the other costs that go into growing them out just to find out that they are males.

Some will tell you that femmed seeds will tend to hermie or can be male anyway -- mostly that is rumor and generalizing, you should not have any issue with femmed seeds from a reputable breeder. I have never had a hermie or male from femmed seeds.