difference between hps bulbs?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by whatuthinkin, Oct 30, 2009.

1. #1 whatuthinkin, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2009
    what is the main diff between all the hps bulbs? is it really worth it to buy a hortilux bulb? is it just that one lasts longer than another or do the spectrums differ as well? any information or links to info would be freat

2. I know there is a little difference between bulbs output but you should check the specs for yourself. The most important thing to take into consideration imo is how often are you going to change the bulb? Bulbs output drop the more they are used I replace mine every 2-4 grows to keep getting optimal output while not wasting too much money on getting a new bulb. It is a lil expensive but I get more out of my harvest and I feel that its worth it to pay extra for a new bulb for more nug. Plus you always have backup bulbs that you know dont suck.

3. I was wondering this also. Especially with MH bulbs.

You can get a 5500k 400w for $30 or for $100. I cant decide whether to buy 3 or 4 $30 lights or one $100 and maybe a $30 backup.

4. well i know about changing bulbs as they loose intensity over time. i have looked at all the specs. all have the same lumens. some say enhanced spectrum. but does it really matter? if i were to grow a grow with a cheaper bulb and did a grow with lets say a hortilux bulb. would there be a noticable difference in yeild? just trying to justify the cost of the better bulbs.

5. I have seen it with a meter. A hortilux 400 HPS is about 15% brighter after 30 days than a standard home depot variety bulb. My opinion is to get a grow bulb, not a shop light.

6. Spend the money on a bulb dude. You dont want to make the mistake and buy cheap, then it burns out on you. and your like fuck./... I gotta order another offline, wait for it, and there goes my crop.

Im about to spend about 5-600 on a setup so yeah its worth it dude. I think hortilux 430 hps bulb is what you want a few guys were tellin me on another site. :smoking: