Diet and exercise can help with mental illness, including schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by weednotcrack, Jul 16, 2011.

1. http://www.nopsychs.org/diet-and-exercise-to-improve-mental-health.htm

"One of the primary ways you can help to prevent mental illnesses, such as depression, anxiety and schizophrenia, and achieve a healthy state of being is to eat a balanced diet. Scientists have discovered that changes in diet have a direct affect on the mind, so much so that certain foods even worsen the symptoms of disorders like schizophrenia.
    A diet that is organically based and focuses on vegetables, fruits, and grains aids in mental health recovery, a claim that is substantiated by the Center of Mental Health Services. In addition, a diet that does not have large portions of fats, dairy, and meats also helps to prevent mental disorders, as well as treat them. It is also a good idea to keep processed foods to a minimum, as they can contain harmful, chemically-based preservatives that can upset the nervous system.
    Along with a balanced diet, exercising regularly also facilitates a healthy mind, improving mood and providing emotional stability. It is a recognized fact in the field of health medicine that people who have mild depression can use running to treat it, which incredibly enough is just as effective as pharmaceuticals. Furthermore, a study in the Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal implies that regular yoga exercise as done by psychiatric patients leads to a direct improvement in mood, reduced anxiety, and a lessening of depression. It also helps to quell aggression and calm patients. However, any aerobic exercise positively affects the overall health of mind, releasing natural endorphins within the brain that stimulate ‘feel-good' feelings, such as serotonin.
    Whether or not mood altering drugs are used to achieve mental, diet and exercise are crucial factors that will enhance the effectiveness of prescription drugs, if not eliminate the need for them.
    A healthy body works hand in hand with a healthily mind, and vice verse. So, take care of your body and mind, and it will take care of you.
    One of the primary ways you can help to prevent mental illnesses, such as depression, anxiety and schizophrenia, and achieve a healthy state of being is to eat a balanced diet. Scientists have discovered that changes in diet have a direct affect on the mind, so much so that certain foods even worsen the symptoms of disorders like schizophrenia.
    A diet that is organically based and focuses on vegetables, fruits, and grains aids in mental health recovery, a claim that is substantiated by the Center of Mental Health Services. In addition, a diet that does not have large portions of fats, dairy, and meats also helps to prevent mental disorders, as well as treat them. It is also a good idea to keep processed foods to a minimum, as they can contain harmful, chemically-based preservatives that can upset the nervous system.
    Along with a balanced diet, exercising regularly also facilitates a healthy mind, improving mood and providing emotional stability. It is a recognized fact in the field of health medicine that people who have mild depression can use running to treat it, which incredibly enough is just as effective as pharmaceuticals. Furthermore, a study in the Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal implies that regular yoga exercise as done by psychiatric patients leads to a direct improvement in mood, reduced anxiety, and a lessening of depression. It also helps to quell aggression and calm patients. However, any aerobic exercise positively affects the overall health of mind, releasing natural endorphins within the brain that stimulate ‘feel-good' feelings, such as serotonin.
    Whether or not mood altering drugs are used to achieve mental, diet and exercise are crucial factors that will enhance the effectiveness of prescription drugs, if not eliminate the need for them.
    A healthy body works hand in hand with a healthily mind, and vice verse. So, take care of your body and mind, and it will take care of you."

2. This doesn't surprise me at all. For my whole life I've always thought I had a social disorder, but ever since I've been eating healthier and exercising I feel like I can socialize a lot better now, I still have my awkward moments but nothing compared to what I use to deal with.

3. Everyone should check out this video, it's awesome. It shows how effective diet and exercise really is, even in extreme cases:)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSUw9SaPLmA&NR=1]‪Raw for 30 Days new trailer‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

4. This is also a great video on how your diet effects your mental health, even more better than the video above ^^

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZPRNTjrrbY&feature=related]‪Nutritional Links to Depression and Mental Illness‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]