Didn't run the red light but got a ticket anyway

Discussion in 'General' started by deuteros, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Things like this remind me why I can't stand the government and why red light cameras are bogus.

A few days ago I got a traffic ticket in the mail. It was a $70 citation for running a red light and had pictures of our van taken by a red light camera. What the pictures don't show is that my father-in-law was the one who was driving and he didn't actually run the light. I specifically remember the intersection. What happened was he wasn't paying attention and he put the brakes on a little late and the van crossed the white line before it stopped. If there had been a cop right behind us there would have been no way he would have pulled us over.

Has anyone ever dealt with a situation similar to this? What really sucks is not necessarily the $70, but dealing with this bullshit when we didn't do anything illegal. The photos are in color and clearly show the brake lights on. Also, the ticket shows the van speed to be 13 MPH, which is not the speed at which one would be running a red light.

2. You can fight it in court. Show them the picture and explain what happened

3. yeah man fight that bull shit, although red light cameras are usually fairly effective, and they keep idiots who actually do run red lights off the road.