Did your parents ever argue in front of you as a kid?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tripple A, Jan 28, 2011.

1. dam bro stabbed is some pretty heavy shit... :eek:

i dont really have anyting crazy... i just remember my mom breaking a cabinet door with her hands in front of the pops

2. Oh yeah, and little me would try the whole "Stop fighting!" card, and my dad would always respond with something "YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!" or he would just hit me.

Pretty much why I didn't give shit when he died, among other reasons.

I'm one of those crazy people who doesn't miss their childhood lol

3. For those who's had unpleasant experiences, please think about what made you feel bad, and can you tell me what would have made you feel better?

4. Wasnt that bad as my sister and my mom. But now my parents fight alot but whatever I live alone.

5. don't ever lose it in front of your kid. it does more damage than you think

6. with my parents both owning seperate nationwide businesses they were usually never home. found out when i was much older that they actually had two seperate houses in LA and NYC to stay at while working (they'd never even been to the other's "temporary" place)....meanwhile I was living in Arizona at "our home" 75% of the time with an au pair. with NO idea they were doing this. I was under the impression they were just staying at hotels

i'm not sure if i'd choose this or the fighting tbh.

7. wtf is that @bold?

i bet you learned how to do shit on your own quickly. sorta beneficial

8. Yeah but it was warranted... I still believe that to this day. No physical abuse which is on point but some yelling when shit was ridiculous.

9. an au pair is like a live in babysitter that becomes part of the family. really a second mother (at least to us kids). they make an ok salary and also are given weekly allowances etc.

and yeah pretty much. i learned to rely more on their money then their presence too though. and boarding school starting freshman year ensured that sentiment stayed the same all through my young adulthood

my point is in some ways a fight in front of me would've meant they were around more. but you're definitely right. you grow up fast as hell

10. Every morning before school my mom and her fiancée at the time would yell and punch shit, and yell some more, then they'd take their frustration out on us by giving us lots of undeserved spankings with a god damn paddle.

We had a big ass house at that time too, we could hear them all the way downstairs, I had 2 of my brothers living with us, and then her fiancées 2 kids, and our cousin, we would all make our own breakfast then wait for the buses listening to them...

I mean, it doesn't bother me anymore I just know it made me a better person bc now I do not like fighting like that. I use to, with my ex's...it was all I ever knew how to handle shit, but now I've grown as a person and I always knew it never properly handled anything, now I try to talk it out calmly.

Idk how my bro's took it though. They both seem to have a couple screws loose.

At my dad's it was pretty much the same deal with my step mom... damn I never realized how much family issues both sides had. Now I'm super thankful I taught myself before it injured my relationship right now... I have a kid too now, he's a lucky lil guy then :)

I just realized this was pretty long :hide:

11. youll get over it..hopefully soon..parents are just people..kids dont come with a how to book..we wing it and yes we fight and yes we suck and yes we are assholes..and youll be the same..just get over it and live your life...its all good

12. Oh ho ho ho. Did they indeed. Fun being woken up by the cops, cause my mom wouldnt stop screaming and flipping out. Another alcohol inspired horrible memory.

13. triple A i feel for you, my parents had the most fucked up marriage and they stayed together "for the kids" but they should have gotten divorced 15 years before they actually did. they fought in front of me and my brother, my dad slept on the couch or in the guest room for my entire life basically, the list goes on. but there is hope. it will make you a better spouse because you know what not to do. silver lining :)

14. It's supposed to be an important part of learning for a child. Everyone argues with someone at some point in their life.. it's important for a child to see that people can argue and still love/be together with no problems.

It's called conflict resolution.

Unfortunately, most people (ie: parents) are scumbags and have no concept of this.

15. Look into the eyes of a child when this is going on and tell me the emotions that you see. The fear and sadness isn't worth it. It may teach a child a life lesson, but at what cost?

16. yeah ive seen some shit...

17. Yes,and A LOT.Particually over drugs (They were addicts back then) but always managed to keep me fed and clothed.I knew it wasn't my fault but It was like I had to keep listening in to see if one of them hurt eachother and that really fucked with me.

18. My parents hate each other and got divorced when I was 3. I don't distinctly remember any fighting in front of me, but I'm sure it happened a few times.

19. i never once saw my parents fight, yell at each other or even say mean things to each other

i dont doubt that they fought some times but they really did love each other and that showed through the way they talked to each other

20. My parents never argued around us kids, and I am extremely thankful for that. It definitely had an impact on me as arguments make me very uncomfortable.