Did you know cannabis is being patented?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by WeedCat, Mar 20, 2019.

1. I didn't think it was possible. But it is and I find that very disturbing. I'm putting up two podcasts about the subject.

In both, the guests have ideas about how to stop this from getting in to the wrong hands (or corporation) like Monsanto. I like the solution of the guest from the second podcast better as it will put different chemovars back in the hands of the people and keep them there.

I would be interested to hear what others have to say about this. I think it is a very important topic.

#1 Have no doubt that agricultural and pharmaceutical companies are coming for your cannabis genetics. And while these mega-corporations are well-funded and focused on their goals, heritage cannabis growers and enthusiasts are disorganized, unfunded and believe in a wide array of patent law myths. On this week's episode of Shaping Fire, host Shango Los talks frankly with Reggie Gaudino PhD of Steep Hill Labs about the realities of cannabis genetics patenting today, the cannabis patents already awarded and the steps that must be taken today if the cannabis community is to defensively patent their cannabis cultivars.

#2 Sharing cannabis seeds is essential to the preservation of the plant and our access to it. Forces are gathering to make legal challenges to many of the present over-broad cannabis patents. While others are looking at ways the cannabis community can agree to informal, yet legally enforceable public patents to help defend heritage chemovars. On this episode of Shaping Fire, host Shango Los speaks with Alan from Strainly about cannabis seed sharing, alternatives to USPTO plant patents and a new online community of seed traders.Episode 44 - Cannabis Seeds, Sharing and Public Patents with Alan from Strainly

• Like Like x 2
  2. Doesn't this worry any of you cannabis consumers out there?

3. lol trying to patent a plant. Go ahead. While they're at it I just patented air. See? It doesn't mean shit.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. So if I create a new cannabis strain and market it without patenting it, a huge corporation like Monsanto may claim they created my strain and I wouldn't have the resources to fight them.

This is what we're talking about right?

It's not like Monsanto can patent the actual plant; only a strain of the plant?

5. In usa government charges people for water, forced to pay insurance on things you dont want. Would come to no surprise if they tried to patent a plant, I mean hell in some cities the pollution is so bad they have fresh air that they sell to people.

Literally charging people to breathe. It’s a crooked system. its about short term profit instead of long term benefits for mankind

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yeah water costs money. It doesn't purify itself and put itself into bottles or magically make it's way through the pipes of your home. Many places give out free water and there's public water fountains.

My point was and is. Go ahead put a patent on weed. It's a plant. You can't own it. It's not a corporate entity. People will grow it themselves until the end of civilization. Its literally like trying to patent tomatoes. It's just nonsensical. It has no real meaning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. It does when Monsanto spreads their pollen to other farms, then Sue's farmers for growing their strain

• Like Like x 1
  8. I never thought it could be done but, according to the podcast, when you take a plant and change it, then it becomes patentable. I make salves and am in the middle of starting my business here in Colorado. I really fear that I will run in to problems with this in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm not sure but that is my fear too. There are some pretty smart people out there working to prevent this kind of thing and who predicted it. I think it's important we all keep our eyeball on this subject. If you enjoy learning about the latest policy, science, industry and predictions when it comes to cannabis, the Periodic Effects Podcast and the Shaping Fire podcasts are my two favorites right now. For instance, I'm learning strains are becoming a thing of the past. And that is because most cannabis has been cross bred. We are now starting to look more at the terpene profile of a plant to get the desired effects.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I don’t think so. What about beer, cigarettes, wine. If it’s not unique to anyone or anything else then maybe so. Like a particular flavour or wine or anything unique only to you or your company. $.2 cents worth.

11. #11 Patricia Clemons, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    They sell us chemically infused tomatos. it is expensive it is to label and sell something yourself as organic.

While I do agree with you, its all about money, not human rights.

Theres a reason why when you buy grocery store fruits and veggies and plant the seeds, you either end up with nothing or a very choppy plant. gmo can be good and be depending how the food/seed is modified

I do agree with you about the water, somebodies gotta get the water thru the pipes, we cant all be at the river or lakes!
    They still don’t have to put flouride in it, without going in much depth, theres a reason fluoridated water is banned in most countries

edit-look at it this why, by time most people hit 45 they’re on 5 different prescriptions. Yikes! That’s scary

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. There's a million people selling seeds so why would people want to buy shit from basically the devil of the agricultural world. This could only ever effect big scale growers. And if it did happen I'd agree it would be a problem. I just don't think it's a likely thing to really happen. This is all totally hypothetical so idk. I see the point you guys make and don't think it's a bad one but this is unheard of stuff so who really knows how it would actually play out.

• Like Like x 2
  13. I agree with every single thing you said. But I have faith in the cannabis community to keep small growers alive, to keep organic and clean, good quality flower around and not let big corporations, especially not villainized companies like Monsanto or big tobacco (yes seriously, I heard marlboro was trying to get into weed) take over and mess everything up.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I'd say the complete control over the cannabis plant based from previous legalities ( prohibition) sets the stage for Big Org to just keep it like that except now the ORG makes bank from it being legal instead of illegal... all teh legal $$ will be from patented rights of control... take patent # 6630507 - Kannalife is making drugs, I am 100% sure their patented drugs are patented LOL.
    and how about Epidiolex ? the first botanical drug substance ( cannabis ) approved via FDA ... All that has got to have patents involved, Yes?

15. I work as an ornamental grower (trees and shrubs). This has its ups and downs. If you’re a breeder looking to make some money, the right genetics can make you a millionaire. For example I know the family that holds the patent for “Autumn blaze maple acer freemanii” over the duration of his 20 year patent the royalties have made him millions. If you’re a commercial grower this will (if it stays true to the rest of the ag industry) add 1-3 bucks to the base price to bring in patented material. If you’re a home grower parent status is irrelevant as long as you can still purchase seeds or clones. No company is going to waste time demanding you take down small numbers of patented material

16. As I've said many times as stoners if we don't want to see big bud take over one day, I suggest we all start growing the bud we know today without pesticides.

We all know they're going to make prerolls with garbage trim and lace it with chemicals to save money and then claim pot is dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. and as far as I know, you can still order untreated seeds from different seed companies.

• Like Like x 1
  18. @mactheman what about this do u disagree with

19. hi Toke ...i agree with what you said mate ive just seen that i pressed the disagree button ,,man sorry i agree with what your post said ,,bloody stoner moment once again ,i dont think us growers will let the likes of monsanto take over the seed world of cannabis ,, ,,,,mac,,

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Thanks for the response:smoke:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1