Did you go to college?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sammyy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. I have my liberal arts degree from community college. Was going to transfer to a University but that never happened.. 

2. I am almost done with my 4-year degree and hope it pays off in the end. Especially since I had internships.

3. What are you doing now?

4. Plumbing/HVAC

5. Im currently studying music performance level 3  :smoke:

6. #46 Bamboobam, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Cool. If things don't work out with my 4-year degree, I plan to get a certificate in a trade from my local CC. So I hope and pray all will turn out well for me.

7. Well hopefully whatever you major in has a lot of good opportunities out in the job market. 

8. It would be difficult to support a family on $20+/hr.  You would be living in deprivation, saving up for a six-pack, and your wife bitching at you about needing things.

9. [quote name="llatikcuf" post="19386277" timestamp="1390411199"]It would be difficult to support a family on $20+/hr. You would be living in deprivation, saving up for a six-pack, and your wife bitching at you about needing things.[/quote]Amen to that. You'd just barely live comfortably by yourself at $20 an hour. That's with efficient money management too.

10. Link relatedhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvfy5Enz6-c

11. I would only do it if you have a specific career in mind and have scoped the job market. That's what I did, will finish my AAS in a few months, already have a good part-time job in the field, other possibilities being pitched to me, and good money to follow.

Many two-year community college degrees these days offer better prospects and pay than bachelor's/master's, etc. in foo-foo disciplines. And they're inexpensive, mine will cost about $15K for tuition and books, plus some additional expenses for conferences and such.

And network, network, network - that's where you'll find the good jobs, not e-mailing resumes to some anonymous HR drone who pays as much attention to your electronic buzzing as he would to an annoying fly.

12. Going to a community college for culinary arts. Originally i went for general studies and was going to transfer to a university but i failed math. Ive always sucked at math and couldnt see myself taking trig or other higher math levels. So now im taking classes to become a head chef. I love making food and top chefs get paid decent. And whats different is i actually like going to school now. So yes go to college and find a degree that you think youd actually enjoySent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. I'm in university right now, 2 years in and I would say it's worth it. The degree is going to be worth it as well, plus it's great for networking which is key in landing a job. The overall experience is awesome, but that's more so if you're under 25 years old IMO. I'm getting my bcomm in economics and finance. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. I did. Busted my ass right out of high school to get a couple degrees in some rather useless shit.

Thinking of going back.. but only for the chicks, man. :smoke:

15. Thats not bank. Bank is 50+ bucks an hour. Im in Criminology right now, and im only doing it because i had no idea what i wanted to do. Now i kind of like it, plus police gets paid pretty well and sick benefits.

16. I'm going for environmental science in hopes I can work for the EPA one day. This field will blow up with people trying to go green and wanting the EPA to regulate those who harm the environment etc. I would have went for environmental engineering but me and math don't fucking like each other... Lol

17. #57 ChiefTHC, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    [quote name="llatikcuf" post="19386277" timestamp="1390411199"]It would be difficult to support a family on $20+/hr. You would be living in deprivation, saving up for a six-pack, and your wife bitching at you about needing things.[/quote]Never said anything about supporting a family, plus I'm only 19 so you're saying by 19/20 years old starting at $20 an hour is bad. I beg to differ bud

18. #58 Cactus Ed, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    I said no such thing friend.  Read my post again without the belligerent attitude.  I was only stating fact. 

And for the record when I was 19 I would have loved to have been making 2-3X minimum wage.

19. #59 emperor_dragoon, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
    I went to college for a couple of years after high school, major was science of mathematics, and semiconductor manufacturing. But the teachers wanted me to read, after class, and pay attention in class...so i was like no. The most i've made was 19/hr, as an tv and internet install tech. Benefits were pretty good too, the only problem was the waiting line for a promotion was about 7-10 years. With the company i want to work for, they said they would pay for school, so its a possibility for me to go back.

I would have to disagree, i was making enough to get a new car, make payments on a house and the utilities, party every weekend, and buy an eighth whenever i wanted. Plus save up some monies, and make sure my brother and i were well fed. Of course if i had a family to take care of, the car would go, and so would most of the partying. I guess though it would primarily depend on where you live. 

20. Yeah, say goodbye to smoking weed though.....