Did you go to college?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sammyy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Amen brother. My dream job is to become a park ranger and work in a national forest. I'm planning on going to school for law enforcement actually as well as taking some horticulture and forestry classes. That way if i can't get my dream job being a park ranger I at least have a plan B and can be a cop or something. It might be tough to get a job as a park ranger but I know crime will never go down so there's always a need for cops and what not. Anyways that my little plan I just need to move forward with it.

2. you should go to school, and you should get a degree in mathematics and/or science. computer science, mathematics, etc. a degree in art history isnt going to do anything for you. its better in my opinion to bite the bullet, and work your ass off for a degree that means something.

3. I am college

Sent from my LG-P659 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. [quote name="BladeRunnin" post="19384277" timestamp="1390366908"]you should go to school, and you should get a degree in mathematics and/or science. computer science, mathematics, etc. a degree in art history isnt going to do anything for you. its better in my opinion to bite the bullet, and work your ass off for a degree that means something.[/quote]I agree. The job market is competitive as it is. A soft discipline isn't going to get you anywhere you'd want to be quick.... Unless you got extremely lucky.

5. yeah, no manual labor involved....I went back to school to get away from manual labor.   It's all measuring, recording, sample collecting kinda stuff with lab analysis and report writing after the fact.     And no worries man  :)

nice im doing that already...even got my own ph meter lol

7. #27 turbotoke, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    I got my Bachelors in Public Relations, haven't done anything with it yet but I'm a lazy piece of shit.  I'd still recommend it though, it was a pretty cool experience.  I met some awesome people and learned new ways to look at the world.  Plus when I finally find a good job I know it will be more rewarding than the jobs I've had previously.

I'd recommend to study something that is at least somewhat marketable but if there is something that you really want to try go with it man.  Even something like Art or sociology can be useful, you just have to look.  Of course I live in a major city so there is always going to be some opportunities no matter what you study, but in smaller towns choices may be more limited.

8. If you like technology. Electrical engineering and/or computer science will open up an assload of opportunities for you. That's what I'm going for. Civilizations were built by technicians. Leaders get the glory, but engineers make the progress.

9. #29 Shiva Blaster, Jan 22, 2014
    100%.  If you go take a full 4 year program, these are the areas you want to focus on.    If you are a bit older like was when I went back to school though, 4+ years can be tough to swallow.   IF you pick the right discipline, you can do just as well (if not better) with a 1 or 2 year technical diploma.    There are really great medical, technology, and trade-related jobs that can be had with one or two years of intensive job-specific training.  

Just to give you an example, I am an engineering technologist by trade.....I did a 2 year environmental technology technical diploma.    5 of my childhood friends are all engineers, and spent 5+years and $100,000+ in school getting their degrees.      They all had a tough time getting jobs in this economy, but they had a head start on me as they had already been in the workforce for 5+ years when I decided to go back to school.      Although I only did a 2-year diploma, my training was very focused and in demand, and I got hired right out of school, making significantly more money than most of my engineer buddies that had been working for 7 years at that point.    

If you're smart, you don't need to do 4+ years at a major college.....if you do some research and planning, many times you can get just as far spending less time (and much less money) at a community college. 

10. Haha, exactly.    My dendrology/biology classes definitely gave me some skills that I now employ as a grower  :)

11. While I agree with everything you said, it's honestly more important to try your hardest and find a job you will love doing rather than working a job you hate just so you can have extra spending money. After all, you spend damn near 40% of your life working so you might as well be working a job you can enjoy, regardless of pay.

12. #32 Shiva Blaster, Jan 22, 2014
    This is also important and hasn't been mentioned....you gotta enjoy what you do, so while you need to be smart and put planning into your career, make sure it's something you are interested in.   :)

13. Do it, go back to school and keep your eye on the prize man, in case it ever gets hard just remember it'll all be worth it eventually.

14. i hear you, and its an age old argument. but lets be honest here, a degree in mathematics isnt that job specific. it signifies that you work hard, that youre intelligent, that youre good at what you do and can succeed at anything you put your mind to. what im getting at is that with the right degree, there is a lot of opportunity for both a job you love, and to make the money you need. thats why i wouldnt recommend just anyone go into computer science. but mathematics? i will recommend that to anyone. 

15. I suck at math though lol

16. You guys are telling it straight. Going to university without a concrete plan is a big waste of time.  Find a specific job you'd like to have and talk to people already doing that.  They will be glad to give you pointers on how to make it happen if you show an interest so don't be shy.  The worse thing you can do is spend a few years of your life studying and then find there are no jobs in that field.  If you know where you're going it makes it easy to get there.

17. College is but a tiny taste of what the real world will throw at you, get strait A's .

I would not mind go back to college part time, teach a couple of classes. :)

18. #38 MrGers, Jan 22, 2014
    I am now in my third instance of college. 2 bachelors and now my masters. I have learned a lot. some I use every day. some I hope to never use again. My opinion is that college is only a waste of time if it is not taken seriously. hence the second bachelors. I did not take school seriously the first time around so I needed to go back to learn the things i needed for the jobs I wanted. 

I know a gal who just got her bachelors in music. She is doing the same job she had before college.

20. I did a year of business administration at a community college but didn't like it. No saying I "needed" the education cause who knows if I'd ever get a job in my feel of study.I'm hoping to get a full time job where I work now within a year, 20+ bucks an hour with mad benefits. I could be making bank with no college education