Did you go to college?

Discussion in 'General' started by GanjFarmer', Apr 24, 2013.

1. #1 GanjFarmer', Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
    Well did you? I'm at a crossroads where I have to choose college, trade school, military, or none of the above. Ideally I would want to start my own business but obviously that's not the easiest thing to do.

So what did you do? Do you regret your decision?

I should also add in with college, I come from a poor family so paying for it is difficult.

2. College. Everytime man.

Won't regret that one at all.

3. Well there's a lot that plays in to this if you want to get some value out of this, I'm assuming you do or you wouldn't have posted the question. It mostly depends on where you are in life.

Myself, I went to high school, didn't give a fuck about anything and went to college because it was what you are supposed to do. I've lucked out, good school and good degree. Lots of college graduates are struggling. This may change by the time you graduate, the economy having turned around by that point (hopefully). The only thing I regret about college is not taking more initiative to advance myself professionally by taking more internships and being involved in student organizations.

College can be great for many reasons. It gives you the opportunity to figure out what it is you want to do, live the college life, develope, mature, all that good stuff. It can also be a big money drain and leave you in a hole, in debt, not knowing what you want to do. It really depends on how serious you take it and how involved you want to be in the college community, from a professional standpoint and an active student body standpoint.

If you know a trade you want to do, love doing it, and are good at it, then trade school would be a good option. If you are really good at something and love doing it, building a business around it really is not that hard if you just pay a little bit of attention to what you are doing and are willing to put in the time necessary to make it work.

Military I cannot comment much on but it is a good choice if you are that kind of person and really feel you lack the direction necessary to make a choice on your own. That is fine, we all develop particular skills at particular times.

Doing nothing is a hard path but if you have enough ingenuity and don't mind living on a tight budget, more power to you.

4. College was the best time of my life until my parents both passed away while i was a junior and my Gf at the time dumped me. I dropped out and now I'm hoping for another chance at it. It was the new experience that I craved, new people, making new friends, and best of all, the girls. Haha

I loved class lectures and learning more about my major and even events were special and made college more awesome. I joined a science program that kinda held your hand thru college and it made it easier to deal with everyday school stress. They taught us about teamwork and leadership.

Overall, college is part of a life journey that you shouldn't miss.

5. What would you recommend to someone with basically no money to pay for college? I was supposed to start community college this summer but now im not because I didn't have enough money. I even filled out the Fafsa and everything.

6. Take a couple loans and pay it back when you get your new career. There's scholarships for literally everything from being black, to having autism, to even more ridiculous things such as being left handed. If you go to a cc, transfer after 2.5 years or ull waste all that time for an associates degree.

7. I'm currently in college in an adult Maths and English class. I'm there every Wednesday from 9am til half 2 in the PM.

My mother's still getting benefits from my Dad who never bothers to see me, so I don't have to pay. (Not sure how it works considering I'm not a child anymore, but never the less...) I've went in to do my GCSE tests because I dropped out of school due to anxiety issues and never finished. It's only lasting the next 2 months or so, but in September I plan on doing a Media course of some sort, or joining in on one of their fitness courses.

8. Honestly bro, college is always a good option. But in your case and in mine, we don't have much money. So I would say Military. Because being 20 years old and in debt, doesn't add up to me and it never will because you shouldn't be 20 years old and in debt. I don't care what anyone tells me. And from that I realize I need to go into the Military. I'm currently about to join the Air Force (Full Time Active) and I will also be taking 1-2 classes a semester. Yeah, it may take a little bit longer then the average college student to finish what I want to do (Psychiatrist) but at the end of the day, I will be in my early 30's, NO DEBT, PHD, also while getting paid. There are so many programs in the military bro I can't even begin to explain.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me about the Military. I have pretty good knowledge on it. My older brother, my father, and my grandpa have all been in the military. Any questions man feel free.

9. 22. Not yet. Can't afford it. Probably won't ever be able to go.

10. #10 The Golden Spiral, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
    College. It's the way you start the rest of YOUR life.

Military is a cool option. But we don't have an army here :cool: (Fuck yeah for peace)
    I'd choose the US army because it's the coolest techwise and that makes it somewhat safer.
    Btw if I was you or anybody thinking of US army right now I wouldn't do it. Who the fuck want's to really engage mortal combat and now NK so close to physical war.

11. senior in Univ. majoring in Economics with a 3.8 gpa hopefully this gets me something (speaking of a job)

12. I like learning and all, i just spent my first 18 years on this earth getting my brain formatted. It's most of a child and adolescent's life. I'd kinda like to just make money and enjoy it.
    I'm interested in engineering and business though.

My plan right now,

is to pick up photography(which i find interesting) and use it as a secondary income as i work half time at some place.
    WHILE
    Attend a community college, maybe explore how much i actually enjoy learning. And finish a BS degree. If i want to continue my education after that, i can. If not, i have the "BullShit" degree and photography to rely on.

How i wish i had the responsibility of a 5 year old. But i bet we all do.

13. I'm in college...It generally just started because I was broke as all hell since "The incident we do not speak of." Writing wasn't making me shit, as it usually did, so I decided to pursue a degree in I.T. since I have previous experience in the field.

I fuckin' hate it, honestly...I hate these fuckin' machines, really. I do intend to pursue my education further but in all likelyhood not in this country, I hope to get my Doctorate in Psychology and perhaps minor in Journalism.:cool:

14. Doctorate? Damn. That's a hefty goal. You just gotta do what you love. I'm glad i decided to listened to that angel rather then the devils that were forcing me to make loads of bucks.

15. tried it for 2 years. not my thing. working for yourself is a lot better. when it comes down to it, 50% of college graduates are not offered jobs. pretty cruel amount. i saw that an ran the other way once i saw the bigger picture. i dont want to brag about what i do but im able to support myself self obtained. a lot better feeling than being an employee, then work 60 hours of my LIFE for a paycheck. seriosly. if any blade here is struggling financially, hit me up. i love life and i love u guys, im here to help.

16. ^Don't hit him up. It's a pyramid scheme.

17. Don't get me wrong...I would have in all likelyhood of road alongside the devil if I could have, I don't really like it here among these "Angels."

The PhD is something I always wanted to get in psychology if I ever had the chance, now I have the chance so I figure "Fuck it, might as well when I move." Probably end up attending university in Canada somewhere within the next three years or so.

But trust me, I would much rather of road alongside the devil on this one cause over "Here" sucks compared to over "There.":cool:

18. Thanks for the heads up.

19. Yeah. If you can do what you enjoy and make good money, more power to you.

20. Is pops in the military/has he been for awhile?

As for the op...I'm in college now. This is my 3rd year, and I'm nowhere near a degree. This is due to my own stupidity, and that is my biggest regret...wasting money for the first 2 years of m college career, taking random classes, and failing a lot. mainly because of attendance.

i've really buckled down hardcore now, though. i have a 97 in business law (just made a 96 on the test, and 3 100's on essays), a 94 in principles of management (just got a 100 on the 7 page management project I asked about on here!), a 98 in algebraic modeling (100 on yesterdays ch test). i'm signed up for precalc for summer classes starting in 3 weeks, and fall is chemistry, physics, calculus, humanities and argument based literature. lol i know i can do it because its NOT that hard to do the shit, and not to mention all of these classes help me understand whats going on scientifically in the world, and thats all i read about in my spare time anyways. i've been watching calculus courses on youtube, as well as chemistry and i've read 2 chem textbooks. havent even taken the class yet. haha. i found that nuclear chemistry and quantum physics are really just the most interesting things in the world :p

damn sorry for walls of text, i'm high af