Did Jesus Wanna Be Worshipped???

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by 420Sosa, Mar 23, 2010.

1. I don't think so.

-Christianity was created after he died

-From what I can recall Jesus said something don't worship me, worship my father

-Jesus was more like a prophet than a savior in my eyes(complicated explanation, but basically if Jesus is worshipped for dying for our sins, the same thing should be done for MLK since when he died African-Americans should start worshipping him and spreading his "gospel")

I just want to start with these beginning statement for this argument.

2. To put it simply: No.

He wanted each person to worship themselves. He wanted humanity to realize its true goodness through him. He is a prophet, but he is also a savior in a sense that we can all agree that Jesus led a life that

A. was full of purpose, at least in his eye's and those around him.

B. He made an impact on the world around him that is still very much felt to this day.

C. Taught his followers on the school of life and all things, which is a topic rarely expressed as eloquently as some of the things that he said.

Check out the Gospel of Thomas online. It's a great source of sayings by the Man himself, and it is a unique look at what the Man was like in conversation and everyday banter.

Regardless if one believes he is God, or whether he is divine or anything similar, one must accept that Jesus was truly a great man and a standard for all of mankind to work towards in their everyday life. That is, Mankind must learn to understand themselves so that we don't... well, blow our shit up in the next couple of years.

3. No, Jesus doesn't want to be worshipped, there is only 1 being to be worshipped. The masses are ignorant, and you can clearly see it by them taking a man as their saviour. Christ is the saviour, not Jesus.

4. Philippians 2

5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
    6Who, being in very nature[a] God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
    7but made himself nothing,
    taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
    8And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    and became obedient to death-
    even death on a cross!
    9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name,
    10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.

5. Jesus washed his friends feet.

6. there are people who believe in jesus,
    and then there are christians.

Jesus is the man
    organized religion is the devil

i could type for hours, i'll leave it at "no"

7. Ok, so he didn't want to be worshiped.

Should we stop worshiping him then?

8. yes. instead you should start viewing him as a christed being and strive to be like him and encompass his values. very different from worshipping, especially since worshipping is usually imposed through organized religion. Jesus would have wanted no part of an organization that exploited him and his idea's, promoted mostly though books written hundreds of years after his death. Jesus should be looked up to as a role model, not worshipped as a superior being

9. Rep for this post.

This is true. The Bible says do not worship engraven images and Jesus hanging out on the Cross is an engraven image. ;)

10. Thanks for all the responses I agree with the majority of ya'll that Jesus shouldn't actually be worshipped but looked up to and looked at for guidance, not worship

11. #11 Perpetual Burn, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
    Yeah, to me the overriding theme of the New Testament is that it is a guideline on how to live life. Not because the creators want to control you, but because they know that this life is what is most important in the eyes of God. This life is nothing to view as un-important... this is the only reality. The creators of the New Testament realized this and have created the most influential book in Human history.

As NFloyd2357 alluded to, you should not worship Jesus and beg him to forgive you of your faulty ways... you should strive to live like Jesus and follow the Golden Rule. This is the way to true peace.

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"
    Mathew 7

12. #12 KeeneGreen, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
    James 2

13. "I am the way, the truth and the light. The alpha and the Omega."

Actually, there are many contradicting quotes of Jesus, some saying do not worship me and others saying I am the only God, worship of any other God is sin.

Basically, God made himself human for a lifetime to "reset" humanity and it's sin. Humanity was so sinful and far from God that God made himself human so he could be sacrificed (as a human, for humans) so the rest of humanity's sin was gone. The sin meter went from 100 back down to 0, so humans could love God again.

God loves you so much that he died for you, just so you could love him back.

14. Dude, Jesus ALWAYS wanted to be the center of attention. Always tellin' storys and preachin' to everyone...

After he "died for our sins," the people "came to their senses" and began to spread the word. And God and Jesus are the same guy.

Don't they? He was baptist. Unless you're referring to the black rights movement, in which they obviously still do.