Did Jesus Really Exist?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Liquidtruth, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ^^ Exactly, that video doesn't even have all of It's facts straight, and only questions the divinity of Jesus whether or not he was the Messiah. So don't call it the truth on Jesus.

The evidence is there and you can all look into it yourself.

I'd just like to say that in 2,000 years no one will believe you or I lived. We have no concrete 'proof' that Julius Cesar ever really existed, historians can't even agree what date he was born on. There's just evidence of recordings that suggest Julius existed in the same was Jesus of Nazareth did.

2. Wrong. The evidence suggesting Caeser existed is akin to a mountain, the evidence suggesting Jesus existed is akin to an ant hill. Most certainly, not the same.

3. Not only did Jesus exist, and was the son of God, but many other people have existed who have been the Son's of God.

"To as many are called of God, they are the sons of God."

If you want to be the son of God, I would start by trying to take the hard road through life; the road less traveled, and you might find that by the end of it, you are the son of God.

4. sorry I should have been more clear...I wasn't comparing the amount of evidence between the two of them. I'm just saying there isn't real 'proof' that Julius Cesar ever really existed either.

5. That utube video was very interesting...I do not know Jesus ever existed.. I have been struggling with that for a while..but if you find proof you should forward it to me

6. according to zeitgeist the writing of josephus about jesus has been proven to be fake for hundreds of years

7. Don't let a 9 min clip alter the whole of your faith, especially one that doesn't have it's 'facts' straight. Everyone struggles with their beliefs and It lets you know that it's worth it.

"Most of our obstacles would melt away if, instead of cowering before them, we should make up our minds to walk boldly through them"

~ Orison Swett Marden​

Of coarse they would argue something like that, look what the video is about. :rolleyes: And there is most likely little to suggest something like has truth whatsoever. People suggest that slight portions of his writings were added to in favor of the existence of Jesus but let's think about that, If Christians did alter some of his work, why would they only go that far as to add a little bit here and there...why not change it completely making it appear as unbiased concrete proof of Jesus' existing 2,000 years ago?

I guess I will have to end this

To even argue that there is no proof of Jesus existing solely as an individual is absurd where there is an entire book where a good portion is entirely based on his life and teachings...

http://www.creatingfutures.net/birth.html

What more proof do you need? Historically and logically?

Like I said the proof is there just look
    Simply google "proof of Jesus" and 2,430,000 results show up. Obviously a good percentage of those results is not in support of the proof and Christianity being the worlds largest religion plays a factor but my point is the proof is everywhere.

8. Well, I get that.

Yes, and the Gospels were written somewhere around 70 AD... Which, if I am not missing my guess, it over 30 years after Jesus was dead. So, again, the Gospels prove nothing.

How about someone who wrote while Jesus was alive instead of everyone who has written about an historical Jesus doing so many years after his death. Like seriously man... I do not know how you see this as proof of any kind?

9. Yeah, that's really useful.. I could do the same thing for "Proof of Bigfoot", 'Proof of UFO's" "Proof that Elvis is alive", "Proof that Tupac is alive", "Proof of God", "Proof of Flying spaghetti Monster"...

Siting broad google searches that turn up millions of sites, the majority of which I guarantee you are biased one way or the other, for proof of anything is like telling someone to look on a magazine rack for proof of Batboy or some other such nonsense.

That has nothing to do with this debate and is chock full of religious bias.

||edit||
    Rather, your opinion of why Jesus existed has nothing to do with this. Sure, you say he was real and the son of god, but present no proof, only opinion.

10. So, for those that believe Jesus of Nazareth is a complete hoax...

My question to you is this...

What do you think the implications would be if this "hoax" was proven to be a complete fabrication?

Do you think billions of ppl are all of a sudden going to stop believing?...

I just don't see this happening. It's too much of a gray area. Your claims are virtually impossible to prove, and like it or not, 2000 years of precedent says that he did exist.

Like it or not, the burden of proof is on you if you are making such claims. Due to the fact that the evidence is SO overwhelming against your case. And I'm not just talking scientific or historical evidence, but also you have to deal with the fact that billions of people are against your cause. And these people are in power. Do you know what you are up against?

Do you think 2000 years of precedent would be easy to disprove?

No. There are much easier ways of casting doubt on the Christian religion. Things that can actually be proven beyond any reasonable doubt. It's easy to see that God does not exist. Bc god is not human, god is invisible to the senses, therefore he is entirely subjective, he is not real in any scientific or rational sense. God is a ghost of the past. A myth. Anyone can see this.

11. sorry man, but I honestly fail to see how that somehow decreases the authenticity of the work. Who cares when it was written? the point is it was written and it is evidence regardless.

Not my point dude, there are people suggesting that there is little proof to suggest Jesus existing 2,000 years ago. All I'm saying is that its takes as little effort as a simple google seach to find valid evidence. It took me 10 seconds to find that site i linked above proving that the work sited regarding Jesus is completely unbiased because the historians wern't Christians.

Anyway that's a small part of my post and a little portion of my argument, nice try tho

12. I'm not arguing for or against the proof that Christ exists, just criticizing your sources.

Seventy years is a long time... And a lot of things were written in ancient times- Doesn't mean it's good evidence for thigns believed today or then..

13. Jesus was a man that existed, and the christ is a term that has applied to many people over time. The story of christ has been told and retold in nearly every language on earth.

The story of the Christ is something that millions of people could testify with all their heart that he exists in a real, and personal level to them, and the belief in this causes real change in their life; and if this belief is something that is genuine, it also leads to the betterment of the person's outlook on life.

So to me, the belief in the christ, is like the belief in Love, and harmony; and being in touch with both of them.

Wether you want to call the christ by different names, means little; even if you didn't know how to speak a language, your soul would be able to recognize the message of the christ.

For this reason, I think it is nessisary not to hold Jesus up to be God, we should realialize that there is only one God, and his sons know his voice. For this reason we all should be intent of listening to love and harmony, and then we to can say that we are the son of God.

14. sorry if i offend but there is no jesus no god no hevan or hell the bible is just an old story book that fact that people need something to belive in keeps the story alive

15. Hahah. I'd bet he never claimed anything of the sort. Remember, it's the people down the line that took his persona and mutated it into a deity. If he did make such claims, then he was just another raving lunatic. I suppose neither would surprise me.

What will you do if there's not. How will you explain yourself to Allah and how do you think Muhammad will respond? What will Zeus say? How about Oman? Fuck you for being so single minded and thinking you finally figured out the answer to the question of God. Christians are the worst.

Slow down! Please do not bash the internet. It is, without a doubt, the single most educational tool we have in this day and age. It is providing the world with vast amounts of information that could never possibly fit into hundreds (thousands?) of libraries. Most books are already on the internet anyway. So whether you waste your time driving to the library, looking up a book, checking it out, and reading it, I'll be googling away!

And please don't bash an atheist for questioning questionable sources. Let's keep in mind you're claiming that the holiest book is the same book that claims the world is only 6000 years old. Just putting it into perspective.

Bahahahhahahahahahaha. And you claim that your god is loving? Religious people are so silly.

I still think Jesus existed.

16. Opinion. Opinion. Opinion. This is a debate about whether Jesus Christ, the "Son of God", existed, as he was said to have existed in the Bible, not personal beliefs, opinions, feelings, etc. about what forms he may have existed in, or if millions of incredibly blind people attest to his existence because of chemical reactions within their brain caused by excitement, religious fervor and mass delusion that creates the greatest placebo of all time- "feeling jesus"

17. can you give me proof da vinci existed?

buddha?

columbus?

washington?

i dont want none of that "paper crap" written history isnt legitimate at all...i want someone who knew these guys personally or im gonna assume the world is made up of liars with nothing better to do...

(scholars dont doubt Christ's existence.they only debate who and/or what he was)

18. That is completely ridiculous.

You know the minds of every scholar on Earth now? I love it, only some Christian's have even bothered to try and give me any kind of information, a lot of the believers just adopt a "holier than thou" attitude and give opinion as fact. When you have something to add, feel free to do so.

(I am still going over everything, SKeebo)

19. How about everyone in the thread just look at how logical each side's rhetoric is...

Let's compare.

I base my belief in a fictional character from proof learned in the fictional story of his life.

vs.

I base my knowledge of this character's non-existence on scientific knowledge and historical evidence.

Hmm...

We need to stop justifying their lunacy by arguing them. I feel that at this point in time, the Christians need to start feeling the same social stigmas they have forced upon all non-believers since the beginning of their quackery (317 AD, go figure.)

Once society starts treating them as the madmen they are, the quicker they'll realize.

We wouldn't even bother arguing believers of Zues, Thor, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster... we further perpetuate their delusion as a society by allowing them to "believe" in whatever they want, despite how harmful to society and humanity these delusional beliefs may be.

The Bible teaches, promotes, condones, and forgives immoral human behavior.
    http://www.evilbible.com/

Unfortunately, it's a good thing for the fate of Christianity that the majority in America doesn't actually read the Bible.

20. i'm pretty the historical figure(s) wasnt called jesus anyways. :D:D:D