Did I **** up my new inline fan? (S&P TD-100X)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by plsfoldthx, Sep 18, 2010.

1. So I got the new S&P TD-100X today. I opened up a 3-prong extension cord. I get a black, white, and light blue (ground) wire. I open up the new fan, there are 3 inputs: Black, White, and Brown. I put black to black, white to white, and light blue to brown.

I plug it in and voila it works. Just to make sure I keep it running for a few minutes. Then all of a sudden it starts becoming really loud and warm and there's this white smoke coming out. Also, the air starts coming out in the opposite direction.

I thought maybe I wasn't supposed to put the light blue (Ground) wire with the brown wire in the fan, but when I took that wire out, leaving only the black and white wire in the fan, the fan didn't work. When I put the light blue wire back in, it starts working again, albeit really loud. There was no where else to put the ground wire back in and everyone has been saying to use a 3 prong wire so the ground has to go somewhere right?

Now, is it just supposed to work this way or did I screw it up?

2. you f***ed up. I have the same fan. There is no ground because it has a plastic housing. This is explained in the instructions and in your other thread. You had the right idea with the extension cord but you should have bought a 2-prong.

3. #3 plsfoldthx, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2010
    Fuck everyone's been telling me to use a 3 prong cord and just connect the 3 cables. Goddammit I knew this would happen. If I return it and say it's defective do you think they would know I fucked it up? FUCK FUCK FUCK I ask a million questions on how to do this right and still fuck up goddam shit

4. Knowing it would happen seems like a good reason to read the directions. ;)

It's generally not hard to tell when an electrical part is fried from abuse. Especially when they can trace the problem back to a spot where there shouldn't even be a connection in the first place.

I'd learn a lesson and pay for your mistake. Warranties are for when it's their mistake.

Just think of how you would have felt if they took your money and didn't send you a fan. That's pretty much what you'd be doing to them with a warranty scam.

5. I did read the directions... they're just not very good. I dunno, I just went off Bohbo's directions and it just said black to black white to white ground to ground. There were only 3 connections so I just figured... GRRRRRRRRR

6. This is directly below the wiring diagrams on the instruction sheet:

[​IMG]

7. But I thought ground doesn't have voltage... didn't think it was a "live" supply

8. You don't want to hook a ground wire to anything that isn't a ground. Basically, with anything electrical, never assume anything is safe to connect just because the number of connections matches the number of wires.

When in doubt, don't do it. And with electrical stuff, by doubt, I mean anything less than 100% sure. Some stuff can blow apart, start fires, electrocute you, etc... when you start putting wires where they don't belong. Considering that, it could have been worse.

9. yeah i know it's ultimately my fault... im just pissed cause i asked so many questions and made so many threads and it still happened..

*sigh*

hopefully ill get a replacement

10. I'm sorry this happened to you.

I'm about to purchase the same fan and was wondering if you could help me. I can still use a 3 pronged cord which has 3 wires in it.... so i just end up using 2?

I am not very good with electronics and wiring and this is confusing me..

11. Hey there! haha it's ok I called for a replacement.

My advice is not to use a 3 pronged cord, but use one of the extension cords with only 2 prongs. The 3 pronged cords will contain 3 wires when you cut it open and the 2 pronged extension cords will contain only 2.

You ONLY need to connect the white wire of the extension cord to the white wire of the fan and the black wire of the cord to EITHER the black wire or the brown wire of the fan. If you connect the cord's black to the fan's black it is HI speed, if to the brown, it's LO speed.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

12. found this in a search today as I try to wire the same fan,

do u splice them together and than just add electrical tape? or whats the safest correct way to do this? also can anyone vouch that these directions below are correct ?? ;)

"My advice is not to use a 3 pronged cord, but use one of the extension cords with only 2 prongs. The 3 pronged cords will contain 3 wires when you cut it open and the 2 pronged extension cords will contain only 2.

You ONLY need to connect the white wire of the extension cord to the white wire of the fan and the black wire of the cord to EITHER the black wire or the brown wire of the fan. If you connect the cord's black to the fan's black it is HI speed, if to the brown, it's LO speed."