Did I ruin my sherlock?

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by StonedApe, Jun 13, 2012.

1. I tried cleaning my pipe with alcohol and salt a few months ago and it did not end well. I basically just poured some salt inside the pipe, then put some rubbing alcohol in there and shook it up. A bunch of nasty looking brown stuff came out, but a lot of that stuff is still inside because I didn't have a way to get it out (no pipe cleaners). I rinsed it with water the brown stuff wouldn't come out.

After a while I let it dry and that made the brown stuff sticky, so now some of that stuff is on the outside of the pipe too and it's hard to get off. It's like tar or something. I didn't think it would be a big deal, so I smoked out of the pipe and it tasted really bad. I think I basically smoked alcohol and salt residue. Am I going to die? I don't use that pipe much anymore because I got a Vapor Genie, but I still want to clean it just because.

So how should I clean it?
    Right now I'm letting it sit in boiling hot water to hopefully loosen up the brown stuff. Do you think pipe cleaners would help much?

Cliffs:
    -Pipe is dirty
    -How do I clean it

Here's a pic I took when I first bought it

[​IMG]

2. You tasted resin. That brown shit is resin. You aren't going to die. Alcohol evaporates really fast, so I highly doubt you smoked alcohol. The water would've washed away the salt.

Clean it better next time.

Bucket + salt + alcohol + pipe + 24hrs = clean glass

DON'T BOIL YOUR GLASS. IT WILL MAKE IT BRITTLE AS FUCK.

3. A mistake way too many people make...

4. Let it set in a tub of rubbing alcohol for 24-36 hours, you can use paper clips or q-tips, there are plenty of ways to clean it. Don't have to use salt, and you don;t need alcohol either, you can go to a headshop and purchase some grunge off or 420 cleaner etc.

5. go to your local headshop and get a bottle of randy's pipe cleaning solution it works so good all you have to do is put your pipe in a ziplock bag and put some of that solution and shake it in the bag for a few minutes then rinse with hot water

6. Yes. You have about 24 hours. Sorry man.

7. What he said.

Can I have your scummy dirty pipe and whatever weed you got left?

8. Well it happened a few months ago, so I'm probably dead now.

9. [quote name='"StonedApe"']

Well it happened a few months ago, so I'm probably dead now.[/quote]

Yea you are congrats you made it heaven .... Notice there's weed and internet

10. 1) Take as many resin hits as F**king possible
    2) Soak In rubbing alcohol for 12-24 hours in a cheap Tupperware you can just throw out afterwards. (Periodically shaking up the mix with pipe still in there)
    3) Run the tap as hot as it gets. (mine burns my fingers some)
    4) RINSE for a few minutes.
    5) Let it dry

If your pipe was super caked inside from months of abuse then most likely you will need to repeat steps 2-5 until its clean to your standards.

11. Tips wouldnt help much if you can get a big zip lock alot of salt and rubbing alcohol

12. The sticky feeling on the outside of the pipe is probably due to you getting isopropyl (with resin in it) on the outside of it while cleaning. Iso evaporates very fast, so if you get some of it on the outside of the pipe during the cleaning process and don't rinse it off before it evaporates, you're going to have sticky resin residue on the outside of your pipe.

You could try more salt. A lot of people tend to underestimate the amount of salt they should use to clean. Use a LOT of salt. Like enough that it becomes an almost goopy mixture of salt and alcohol.

Shake the fuck out of it for as long as you can muster. And then rinse it with warm water, keep it under the running faucet while you continue dumping out the alcohol/salt mixture and rinsing the inside and outside until all the alcohol and salt are gone.

There may still be some stubborn bits of resin left inside. You can use pipe cleaners or try repeating the same iso+salt method again to further break it down/maybe remove it.

But as long as you make sure to rinse it really well and let it dry completely before use, you won't have any problems with stickiness on the outside or, you know, dying and such. :p

13. Don't boil it in hot water. Glass can is sensitive to temperature change and can crack easy from it. Let it soak in iso for a day and then buy some pipe cleaners at walmart and get the left overs.

14. soak it, shake it, rinse it.

15. that was just resin, its fine just let it soak for a few hours and it should clean up