Did I remove this male before it pollinated my garden?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SupernaturalA, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Today, for the first time, my biggest plant showed me little clumps of "green small sesame seed shaped and sized" structures in the nodal areas, more on the very tops, a couple like two or three of them at the lower nodes and some nodes they are indistinguishable, but I think we all know what they are.

I am confident they were not visible this morning. Certainly, not yesterday. I noticed none of them have opened up. I found only one that seemed to extend from the node on a "stem" for lack of a better word, like a millimeter away from the plant on its own.

After removing from the garden, I tried to squeeze them to get any pollen or well anything at all out of them. All I got was sticky fingers, nothing white, etc.

Did I identify and remove this male quickly enough. Or is my garden in trouble. Thank you

By the way, I am a total beginner.

2. I'm also a complete beginner. But it sounds like you got em before they pollenated anything. Could be wrong though.

3. Thank you. I was always concerned about this one because it seemed different from my other plants, but it was the biggest one in the garden, so I kept holding out hope...

I just don't have any idea, how late is too late.

4. You are likely OK. The flowers have to open to spread pollen.

And an occasional seed is not a disaster- it's just a free start on your next grow! ;)

Granny :wave:

5. Yea I know what you mean. From the way you said it sounded like you got it right when it sprouted.

6. #6 SupernaturalA, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
    Thank you! I appreciate a voice of confidence. I am doing my best to learn and be highly attentive, but I'm "wondering in the weeds" with some events such as this arising.

This site tells me a lot about "what to do" but not exactly answering questions like "when does ejaculatory inevitability occur in males and did I pull it out fast enough?" and the related question, "are the females even ready for the seed?"

7. This is what it looks like when it's too late.

[​IMG]

8. It usually takes about a week after they first become visible before they open up and spread pollen. The first time I tried breeding cannabis I thought I would have tons of seeds for future crops and when I harvested I only found one seed in a goo plant. It cracked me up that most people complain about getting seeds on accident and I didn't get any when trying, lol. My last attempt was more successful though.

9. That picture is beautiful in its own way, but heartbreaking too. I lost my best "looking" plant from an amateurs perspective, in my first grow, so I am experiencing separation anxiety from my favorite plant, that was destined from the get go to disappoint me. I was angry when I cut it down a few hours ago, when it looked so well yesterday, but I am getting over it. Thank you for the very detailed crispy clear picture.

10. I've picked up women that kind of follow that story line of yours. You never know whats going to happen until it happens and sometimes something grrreat or tragic comes out of nowhere when one least expects it.

Thanks. I am confident that nothing "opened" since it was certainly less than 24 hours (from an amateurs eye's perspective) since the little clump of tiny sesame seed sized balls formed. With more experience I may have sensed this coming a day or so before, but I don't know if I would have the courage to chop until I "knew" for sure.

Thanks for your help.