Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Did I really just throw away $165?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by consciouscode, May 2, 2016.

1. So I looked up on YouTube "marijuana brownies" and watched the first video, read the comments and everyone said it worked.

I made a double boiler by getting a pot and filling it with about half of water and brought it to a boil. Then took a thin metal mixing bowl and put 1 1/2 stick of butter, 1 cup of water, and 14g of finely ground dank ass dro wrapped in cheesecloth. I let it soak for 2 1/2 hours but what I didn't realize was that the water in the pot kept dropping below the bowl due to the water turning into steam. I filled it back up once every 30 mins or so but then I realized the water was evaporating like every 10 mins, so there were long periods where the metal bowl wasn't getting hot enough.

I finished it anyways, chilled the butter and separated the water from the butter. I made my brownies at 325 degrees and after they were done, I hate one, nothing for 2 hours. I ate another, nothing for another hour, I ate 4 nothing for hour. Nothing happened. But the brownies tasted so much like weed, and the butter smelled like weed. But it wasn't a dark green like the guy's in the video, it was more yellow. So I had to go to work, I put the we'd still wrapped in cheesecloth in a glade zip loc bag and left it on the counter. 12 hours later I got home, and put redid everything. Same amount of butter and water in the double boiler with the same pouch that I already tried to use. My theory is that if the thc wasn't soaked out the first time I tried, then the thc must still be in there.

It's been about 4 hours, I'm keeping the water topped off and watching it closely. It smells a lot stronger then the first time I tried. I figure the longer I do it the more thc will extract. The butter is even turning a more green color. So my question is, am I wasting my time? Did I fuck it up? Or is the thc there and should I keep cooking it or stop and try it now? The guy on the video said he only let it sit on the double boiler for 2 hours, I'm now at double that time.

Thanks for any help guys!!

2. just smoke it man edibles are crazy

3. Did you decarb your weed before you put it in the butter?
    you didn't mention that.

If not then yeah, you wasted it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Real helpful

5. What do you mean decarb? Like put the weed in the oven to make it sweat thc oil? I thought that's what the super hot butter did while the weed soaked in the butter

Sent from my LGMS345 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. If the weed wasn't cooked long enough in the butter, then the thc couldn't have been extracted and fully decarboxylated (able to be eaten orally). Usually you have to cook it for a good while.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. You need to put your cannabis into the oven at 240 F for 40 minutes. This step is called decarboxylating the cannabis. This is an essential step.

I STRONGLY suggest that you get your recipes here and only if they the threads have been around for a while.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it you can ask any cannabis questions of the knowledgeable folks on this thread.

• Like Like x 4
  8. #8 BrassNwood, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    I'll just cross post from another thread..

[​IMG]
    An oil is likely the simplest to make and it's what I make and use the most of as it's gets me the most bang for my material I feel..
    Coconut oil is the top choice here as it's has a couple of special properties we like.. First off it needs no body bile to start to break it down so it's absorbed by the body faster then other oils.. It's a liquid at about room temp making it easy to work with..
    Soy lecithin is also recommended as it aids in the bioavailability of the material.. ( Liposomal encapsulation ) makes better use of less material.. Less sugar sweeter, fewer meds more effective.. It's in an amazing number of foods and medicines..
    coconut oil = regular market
    soy or sunflower lecithin = health, vitamin shops.. This can be liquid, granules or powder..
    small stainless dishes = pet store cat food dishes
    Junked toaster oven = found at curb on trash day, bypassed burned out timer..
    oven thermometer = market
    eyedroppers = market pharmacy isle
    size (0) caps = health-vitamin shop
    I was able to procure all items locally once I started looking around..
    I'd been making dry ice hash for a while so the step to oil was an easy one but make no mistake my first few attempts were bud based and quite effective so you can just substitute decarbed well powdered bud for many of the recipes.. If you really don't like the dusted material in your oils and tinctures you can strain with suitable stainless meshes, multi layer cheese cloths or a fine micron mesh like 73..
    .Decarb all material first to activate the THC from the THCA..
    220-240 degrees for 40-60 minutes in a covered dish, Foil pouch, Oven cooking bag.. (not plastic)
    Now your raw cannabis is activated and ready for the solvent.. Oil in this case..
    [​IMG]

5 grams kief-hash decarbed
    3 tea spoons coconut oil
    1/2 tea spoon soy lecithin..
    Blend and heat 20 minutes @ 220 degrees F then freeze.. 2 or 3 more heat and freeze cycles will change more of the THC to lesser cannabinoids and bring up more couch lock sleep aid then a single heat and freeze will..
    [​IMG]
    I use this coffee cup warmer to keep the oil nice and hot while capping.. Stir just about between each cap as the hash tends to settle and you want as uniform a mix in each cap as possible..
    The finished oil can be used in about any baked or consumed goods you can think of..
    Just be aware in the case of my hash based oil that's about 30 very potent doses..
    This stuff is not to be trifled with as it can put you on your knees with the spins and puking for 4-6 or even 8 hours..
    [​IMG]
    Sneak up on it gradually to find your happy place.. Again exercise caution until you understand just how potent this oil can be.. Licking the tools and the dishes can cause an extremely uncomfortable several hours of near misery.. Despite my telling you all this your still likely to come very close to green out your first few experiments so take care.. Smoking will amplify a low background dose of oil so have some smoke an hour or 90 minutes after consuming.. Wait 90 minutes or more before adding additional doses..
    =========================================
    That's how you make an effective oil.. Now you can add that to any food items..
    Substitute well powdered decarbed bud for the hash-kief if that's all you have.. Won't be quite as potent..
    1 cap is enough to make most normal people cry uncle and be stoned off their ass for 6 hours..
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  9. Update: I finished the the butter. It was pretty green. I made the brownie mix and added the butter but I didn't make the brownies, I'm honestly afraid to bake it because I don't want to burn the thc out. So I got some ice cream and drizzled it with the brownie mix. It tasted pretty good, just really sweet and thick and I ate a lot do it would work. It worked! After around 45 after I ate it, I started to feel something, I pushed it off and went to sleep, I set my alarm for an hour and I always wake up for my alarm, but I slept right through it and slept for 3 hours, I woke up and I was stoned. I felt like my whole body was working against gravity, I'm still high but I think it can be stronger. I made some more but this time I decarbed it got 40 mins at 240 degrees and then I added an eighth of potent dro with 2 cups of water and 1 stick of butter to a pot of let it simmer on low for 4 hours. It's now in the freezer to separate and afterwards I'm going to make the brownie mix again. Hopefully it will be super strong! I'll post back with updates

• Like Like x 1
  10. To tell you the truth, I don't even bother with making butter.
    I just decarb in my Vaporizer and grind it up into a very
    fine powder in my Magic Bullet. Then I just throw it in with
    the brownie mix and bake at 300 degrees until they're done.

Works great and way less hassle.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hope it works out!

Be kind. Perfect your craft. Give more than you take. We are family.

12. God Damn these are strong! I passed out, I told myself I wouldn't fall asleep and then bam lol. It's hard to describe, I definitely enjoy it, but I'm not sure if I like how it makes me so tired, but that might be because I ate a fucking lot

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lower your dose the next time and it should be more entertaining. You'll stay awake. It's good that you learned early. Now you know about "decarbing", too. Experience is always the best way to learn. :pimp:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Are you talking about using ABV? or just using the vape as a decarb tool?

How much finely ground ABV / decarbed cannabis do you use for how many doses?

15. Bullshit. I makebedibles a lot once one without decarbing one with. It was better when i didnt decarb and i have even used green fresh undried trim and it works so good.
    Decarbing happens when you put it in the butter already so its a myth you are most likely just losing good shit there.
    Also i usually coock for like 4-5 hours. 5 if green 4 if dried. I have also burnt my weed a bit sometimes when it the hot butter cuz water ran out and i was high but still worked great and tasted even better - like popcorn. But i also add honey to my recipe and some vanilla or nut aromatic extracs to make it taste better ( i really dont like the raw taste of cannabutter)

Sent from my LG-H955 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Yeah, I just use ABV. Works well enough for me.

I use about 15 to 20 grams for 18 servings. So about a gram per serving.
    I like it strong though. So don't just do what I do.

Yesterday I ordered some empty capsules from Amazon. Gonna try
    some well vaped kief in them and see how that works out.

17. Abv is gonna have very little thc and a whole lot or CBN, which makes you wayy more tired than thc does.

18. That is way too general of a statement. I typically have a lot of bud so I would do a vape session once and store the AVP which is always light in color, like a slight tan, never a dark brown. One gram of lightly used AVP from dank weed would knock me on my ass for 4 to 6 hours so I would clarify the statement otherwise some people would get way too stoned depending on the quality of bud they started with and how many vape sessions did they dd using a full gram. Basically what I did was get a nice buzz from a packed vape bowl .(4g) and than discard for cooking which is basically just decarbing the weed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. What temperature is your vape set to?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. Not sure of actual temp setting, but I know with a fresh packed bowl, I do not need the highest setting so I would typically use the second to highest setting, and shut of vape after second hit because the temp is still hot enough due to starting with a high setting to get at least another strong toke from vape. 3 big hits of high end bud is all it ever takes with me to get me nice.