Did I kill my plants?!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by turbolaser4528, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Hey guys im new here, posting out of desperation lol. I have a small closet grow going on with 4 plants and a small CFL for lighting. This morning I went to do my routine check (first week on 12/12) and I switched the bulb from a 14w flourescent to a 90 watt floor light for a few seconds because I thought the plants needed more light. But the 90w was really close to the plants, almost touching them, for a few seconds before I turned it off. When I decided it was a bad idea it was too late, the plants were all disfigured. Half of the leaves, mostly the top ones, were bent over and almost shriveled up it seems. I guess the heat must have burned them or something. What my question is is what do I do? Can my plants still be saved? I watered them after I did that and switched to a 60w shitty house bulb (the yellow looking ones) for now. Should I get another bigger CFL? I just hope my plants can recover, thanks for the help guys. peace

2. Anyone? I just want to know if my ladies will recover from this.. :smoking:

3. if ur goin in to flower u should have like 10 or so softwhite cfls the 23 watts ones or bigger for 4 plants

4. Ok, that doesn't really answer my question but thanks. I just purchased a 32w cfl that should do the trick. I actually only have 3 plants, and they're all under 12" tall so I think that light will be enough.

Anyway, will my plants recover from this?

5. Its a weed and will probably live if ya leave it alone.

6. check the temperature in ur grow box i have a similiar setup with 3 daylight cfls and they dont put out any heat but it just gets hot in general in there with two fans anyway try to give them as much ventilation as possible..mine all shriveled up because of the heat..95+ degrees one day...
    :wave:

7. Thanks man, it must have been the heat from the bulb of the flood light that made them shrivel up, I don't have a fan going in there but I try to open it up a few times a day for ventilation.

So do you think that with a cooler light and an average temp of about 80 degrees that the shriveled parts will return to normal? That's really my main concern, hopefully they do and its not too late:rolleyes:

8. so has this happened to anyone? most of the leaves are brown are shriveled up, but they don't fall off even when I tug on them gently. Will my plants recover from the light burn? And also there are spots on one of the plants that survived, whats that all about? Thanks guys:confused_2:

9. mine have recently been discovered so they had to be moved outside and the shriveled parts dont change but all new growth is normal..basically just get the temps down and they should keep growing:smoking:

10. this has happened to me...check out my grow and see if ur plats look like mine did the first time i posted pics....it was over 120 degrees and the light burnt them...now they are just fine and look great and they are in flower now with no problems...

but seriously.....30 watts of cfls is NOT enough light for 1 plant let alone 3 plants!!! u need atleast 100 watts of cfls or ur plants are gna yield nothing....U NEED MORE LIGHT AS SOON AS POSIBLE!!im not sure about the spots...

11. thanks for the help bud, my plants were damaged in a similar fashion to yours so im hoping for the best after trimming the dead leaves off. Anyway, 2000 lumens isn't enough for one plant? I can't find a bigger cfl where I live, but I guess ill try harder.

The plant has some white spots, it might be because I don't have a fan in my grow box, so i have to get on that as well. Im strapped for money right now, so I'd rather not buy another light if I don't need it. But the ladies come first so let me know, keep growin'!:)

12. Turbo,

Sorry your plants were hurt. Please take the time to read the growing guides that you can find both here on this forum as well as other forums. You CAN NOT grow with a flood light(likely a halogen bulb) or a regular house light(incandescent). You can only you High Pressure Sodium(HPS), Metal Halide(MH), CFL's/Flor.tubes and people are working on LED's. Lighting types are the very basics of growing.
    One little 32w CFL is not going t odo the job for 3 plants. The basic rule of thumb is 10,000 lumens PER PLANT! See how 2,000 lumen won't get you very far? Sure it will keep 3 plants alive but beyond that don't expect much. It takes money to get a set up that works to grow. I know you said cash was tight but if that means having tostop smoking i.e not buying weed to save money to get extra lights then do what you have to do. If you can only afford 3 or 4 42w CLF's(2,700 lumen each, $9.00 Wal-Mart,red spectrum for flowering.) then realize you are only going to be able to grow one plant at a time.

13. thanks for the advice, your right. YOUR ALL RIGHT!!! haha no seriously I know I need more light now, im going to head to walmart and check out some lighting options like you said. One of the plants was male and the other was female so I only have 1 good size plant now (about 11"), the other one is a cripple towering in at a mere 5 inches (the leaves are thinner than a pencil for some reason).

Anyway, Ill also get a small fan for the box, but is it still beneficial to have one if there is no intake or exhaust ports? Thanks again, I want to do this right, I love me some tokin'!:smoke:

14. UPDATE: I bought a 23 watt 6500k from home depot (biggest one they had) and put a fan in the grow box. My lady is lit up beautifully now and I can tell just how much of a difference it makes. Now im wondering if my plant is a male instead of a female though:confused: it has flowers sprouting from the nodes, which I thought only males could do. But, it seems to have small white hairs on the top so i dont know. I wish i had a magnifying glass!!!!!

15. It turned out to be a female, i've never felt happier haha after some reading I realised 6500k's are better for veg. so I picked up a 23 watt 2700k instead. So is 55 watts 4 inches from one plant enough for some deecent yields? Should I try to find bigger bulbs? My only concern is that even with a fan in my grow box the average temp is about 90 degreees farenheit, so more lighting could prove dangerous for the little lady:rolleyes:

thanks for the help guys ill post when this baby is ready to harvest with some damn fine pics!