did I just F*ckd my ballast

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Khazad, Apr 12, 2012.

1. #1 Khazad, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
    so i tried to switch my lamp and the power of my room went out, when i switched it badk (the electricity of the apartment) when i was trying to switch it again it makes the same problem? Did u just killed my ballast? the light seem fine the light is 400w and same ballast for that 400w please help cuz i just put my seeds to germinate :(

2. also it made a sound when i plugged into the socket and i saw some sparcs and there is some signs of damage on the plug i put into the socket. Is there a chance that the plug is bad?

3. You're supposed to wait 10-15 min to replug it. I've had this happen to mine. The power went out for a split second and the lamp turned off and instantly turned back on. However, the bulb was just buzzing and flashing. I unplugged it and waited 15 min, plugged it back in and it was working properly.

4. #4 Cuzin Red, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2012
    From your first post I'd agree with fluffykush's response. But this second post of yours makes it sound like you have some short circuiting issue. If you saw sparks at the plug into the outlet and then damage like some melting evidence of the plug then there's a problem. You didn't fry your ballast by just turning off the power though. And it's not likely the plug is bad, per-se. Anytime you even briefly cut the power to a HID of any wattage once it's been on and warmed up it requires about 15-20 mins for the bulb to cool down enough to fire up again. No damage by this alone will occur to ballast or bulb.

5. Scratch that about your first post. Reading it again it sounds like it flipped the circuit breaker at the main box when you first turned on your light. Coupled with your second post it certainly sounds like you've got a short circuiting bad ballast, or at some other point in the lamp's wiring. Did you buy it new? Then it's under wananty and will be replaced. Not so if you picked it up on Craig's list or the like. Did you wire it yourself or modify it into a remote ballast?