Did I get lied to?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Yeahh Weed, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Okay, so I was in Philly today with my friends the cops gave me a really hard time. First off I was filming them skate, I wasn't skating. The cops came and everybody ran, but I was stuck cause I had my camera and tripod out. Anyway the cops wanted to take it but I said no because there was no probable cause. They said that they dont need probable cause because I was filming a crime (skating is illegal in parts of Philly). Did they lie to me or are they actually allowed to do this?

Note: yes I plan to get a lawyer and yes I am going to try to get them back.

Edit: I had no weed or nothing illegal in my bag, just camera stuff.

2. Using common sense would tell me that yeah, they took you for an idiot. That means anybody who has ever taken a picture or filmed something criminally violent within the USA would all be tried by the law themselves.

It's ironic that our executive enforcers often use trickery to plague the masses into begrievement.

3. Someone needs to watch more Law and Order :)

4. [quote name='"dantino"']Using common sense would tell me that yeah, they took you for an idiot. That means anybody who has ever taken a picture or filmed something criminally violent would all be felons themselves.

It's ironic that our executive enforcers often use trickery to plague the masses into begrievement.[/quote]

Yes I understand that everyone would be a criminal in that sense. They targeted me because I was part of the group of kids skating. That wasn't my question though. My main question in that story was. If you are filming criminal activity, can the camera be confiscated.

5. If you are filming criminal activity, yes, the camera can be confiscated as evidence to prosecute those involved in said criminal activity.

However, cops don't always operate within the law. You may have been taken for a fool. Get a lawyer and find out.

6. The cop was totally fucking with you.

7. [quote name='"nathann"']If you are filming criminal activity, yes, the camera can be confiscated as evidence to prosecute those involved in said criminal activity.

However, cops don't always operate within the law. You may have been taken for a fool. Get a lawyer and find out.[/quote]

Thank you for an actually legit answer.

8. I'll put it simply.

You werent skating, you were filming. NOT illegal. In fact, who says you were even affiliated with the said criminals?
    Not to sound arrogant, but the law operates soley on logic and reason of our constitution. If you can't work that out, then I probably wouldnt join a group of skaters breaking it anyways.

9. Stop the presses! When did this begin?! :p

10. saw my error as soon as I posted it. I then edited it to make more sense. By logic and reason, I of course assume that it operates on the logic of which it was created :p

11. I'm so trippy right now, I feel like i'm on everything. It's like i'm in a movie, HD, 3D and all that good shit. Sorry for posting something that has nothing to do with the OP, but i'm so high right now, and i'm watching always sunny in philidelphia. Lol you're from philly.

FUCK THE POLICE!!!......in the ass with a pogo stick!

12. yes, your camera can, and was taken for evidence, that is legal, however bullshit. You shouldn't be in trouble, though, that is my opinion.

13. Stop the presses! When did this begin?!

Sorry man, I had to. So much of today's laws are completely anti-Constitution it's pathetic :p

14. Indeed. But luckily for our friend here, we'll likely NOT see a court scandal of wall-street proportions, and for that he can be thankful.

15. Technically yes they are allowed to take the camera not the tripod. Since the camera contains evidence.

However i believe they have to return it within a certain period of time or after a trial has occurred. (don't quote me on that)

Consult a lawyer and see what they say only way to find out for sure