Did I do it right?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by napkin, Nov 22, 2007.

1. This is my first attempt at fimming. IDK why but the leaves on this plant are so small compared to the leaves on my other 2 plants. I figured I would fim it and see if anything happens.

Attached Files:

2. bump^^^^

3. I think that you topped your plant. Which is fine. Looks to me like you took too much of the top node off the plant, therefore causing the plant to be topped. Now, those two lower nodes will grow like top nodes and your plant will basically split.

Next time, if you want to try fimming again, just cut off about 85% of the top node, but leave 15% of it on the plant.

4. Dang it lol...
    How am I supposed to LST a topped plant? Do I have to tie down both new stems now? That would kinda suck.

5. You can easily LST a topped plant. Yes, you would just tie down both new top nodes.

I am not 100% sure that you did top, and not fim. It is tough to tell from your picture. I am just pretty sure that is what you did. But, it really isn't that big of a deal. That is the beaty of fimming. If you miss, the worst you are going to do is top your plant. And that is not necessarily a bad thing.

6. If I were you, I would be more concerned about the condition of the plant than wether or not you fimmed properly. Those fan leaves don't look healthy at all. Curling and what not. You should check your grow setup. You may have a problem.

7. I'm guessing it could be a pH problem since I don't have a pH meter and im broke. The other two plants are doing fine. This plant started off small, even at day 6 its leaves were curling. I figured it was because it was in MG soil with time release ferts but even after I transplanted it the leaves never really perked back up.

8. It's tough to fim plants even when you do a nice little V in the middle of the node they sometimes end up topped. But you can LST any plant (topped or not) it always helps.

9. Fimming is not tough. Just concentrate on what you are doing. Snip 85%+ off of the top node and you are done.

10. It may not be tough for you. But at least a few of my plants each cycle end up topped even though I use the same method for all of them.

11. You guys need to watch waht advice you take about fimming from mad4reef. He thinks the point of FIM'ing is to make lower nodes grow more or something. The point of fimming is to make 3 or more tops. Topping makes 2 tops, fimming makes more than 2 if done right.

12. not the way I read his posts, he's right, whip about 80% off the top of the new growth, after you've pinched it up..........can be hard to get first time..........napkin, it actually looks like you've did it right, but it's hard to tell from a photo, albeit a good one...........if you only topped it, don't worry, just tie her down with string, using holes in the side of the rim of the pot.............Peace out............Sid

13. I am sorry CoreyP, how many plants have you grown that you have fimmed? That's what I thought.

I know what the point of both fimming and topping are. And fimming does do exactly what I say it does. It temporarily redirects the energy that would have been spent growing the top node to the lower nodes. It does not grow more top nodes, neither does topping technically, but that is a whole different story, it simply accelerates the growth rate of the lower nodes.

Before you call someone out, make sure you know what you are talking about.

14. Sorry Corfllake. I didn't mean to dis you. I was just saying that it isn't too hard if you focus on what you are doing and take your time. Maybe it didn't come out right in my post. Sorry about that. :)

15. mad4reef, i am right. i wasnt trying to make you look bad or anything. you were simply uninformed. I guess i could have told you in a better way, sorry. But all that matters is now you know what fimming does. Yes, a side effect of cutting the top will make the lower nodes get more nutes for awhile, but the POINT of fimming is to get more than 2 main colas. Now you know, and know is half the battle....G I JOE!!! And pictures you want? Its pictures you got...

Here you will notice on the first one we have 3 tops and whats that on the second pic....could it be 4 TOPS!?!? Oh, ill have some more pics tomorrow for you that has 5 tops. Dude, the point of PRUNING is to slow down vertical growth and increase horizontal growth and bud sites, fimming is for more than TWO colas (3 or more)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. lets not try too hard and fall over each others feet.

17. You are right. I have no idea what I am talking about. I have never actually grown marijuana before. And, I have certainly never fimmed a plant before. Don't listen to me. Everything that comes out of my mouth is crazy talk.

-Peace

18. Now now now, lets dont get upset. Did i EVER say you didnt know how to grow. Did i ever say everything you say is crazy talk? Dude, no one time did i say anything REMOTELY close to any of that nonsense. I simply told you your fimming technique may need to be refined if you arent getting more than 2 tops. You asked for pics and i provided them and STILL you come at me like a little child? I tried man, i really did. I tried to talk to you in a grown up manner and help you out without embarrassing you. If you are too childish and immature to see that then im sorry, im done. You will not hear another word from me. Best of luck to you.

19. Who is upset? I grow good smoke, and that is all that I care about. I come to the forums to help novice growers, and that is all I ever try to do. I am not being childish. I was just done with the discussion. I am obviously not going to alter your mindset and you are not going to alter mine. I just don't want to go around and around with you about this. Believe me or not. I really don't care. Like I said, I grow good weed for my own personal use and that is all I really care about.

BTW, if you look at your picture, you will see that the growth that you are calling "new tops" is actually accelerated lower node growth. Yes, you have 4 nodes that now appear to be top nodes, but they are simply lower nodes whose growth has been accelerated. That is what I have been saying all along. Fimming transfers the energy from the top growth to lowe node growth. And, as I see it, your picture was a perfect example of that.

No hard feeling here.

Good luck.

20. Dude, that is 4 tops. Each top having its own cola. I dont understand what is so hard to see about that? And it takes a big man to admit when you are wrong...take that as you will. You can go on and on with all this babble about accelarated growth to make your point of view sound right but its not! If i had let this grow normally it will have one branch, if i had topped it (like i did HALF of mine) it would have TWO tops. But since i FIM'ed it it has 4, one has 5, some have 3. But they all have more than 2. You asked for pics and i gave them to you and you still say im wrong? What more can i do? And how can you look at a pic that i see in person every day and still say im wrong. It boggles my mind bro. I even started a thread just to make sure i wasnt giving bad information and im not. Had i been wrong i would have said i was wrong and admited to it and done everything i could to better myself and what it really means and the right way to do it. I mean i have a article in front of me RIGHT NOW that jorge cervantes wrote in high times talking about what it is and waht it does. Do i need to scan that too? I mean if anyone knows what they are talking about its him.

Edit: "You are right. I have no idea what I am talking about. I have never actually grown marijuana before. And, I have certainly never fimmed a plant before. Don't listen to me. Everything that comes out of my mouth is crazy talk."

Now doesnt that seem just a little childish to say that passive aggressive reverse psychology crap? Cause i obviously never said that. Im sorry.