Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Did He Have The Right To Search Us?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by brodog, May 7, 2014.

1. #1 brodog, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
    So me and my friends were smoking in a very obvious spot on campus and got caught (surprising, i know. its a pretty sick spot and i;ve got away with it before so i wasnt really worried).  We had just lit the joint and i had it so when they shined their light on us i put it out and put it in my pocket as we walked over to them b/c I thought they would just let us go(we were on a ledge so we had to walk past them to get off, we couldn't run).  When we got there they sat us down and asked for Id's and said it smelled like weed and they saw a lighter so they knew we were smoking. I have been in this situation before so I knew just to say no when he said to give us what we had and it would be way easier and less bad.  Then he said ok I'm gonna search you guys and felt my friends pocket and made him take everything out.  I was next in line and had the joint and my weed so i was shitting my pants but then he just told me to empty my pockets and i took out everything except the weed, and he made everyone else do the same.  After that he just wrote us trespassing warnings and let us go.

So my question is do you guys think he was 
    a) allowed to search us and just didnt want to waste the time (my friend pulled out a lot of random shit from his pocket, he might of been like "oh my god fuck these kids this isn't worth it)
    b. not allowed to search us and tried to scare us by searching my friend and then didn't want to overstep his bounds too far only to find nothing when no one objected to it

edit: By the way i forgot to mention we were in california, but we were caught by the campus police who supposedly care way more about weed since theyre federally funded.  I dunno if that changes things at all

2. Was it actual campus police or rent a cop?...rent a cops cant...campus police can if on campus. Maybe the cali law had a part in it...he said he smelt it..you were on campus. I got searched that way in school once and didnt take out my weed. Its like how stupid do you think i am lol

Sent from my EVO using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Actual campus police.  I've heard their trained by people from the israeli army but i dunno about that haha

4. Lol.

Sent from my EVO using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. If it was a legit cop then yeah. He had reason to suspect a crime was being committed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. www.flexyourrights.com

No he did not have the right to search you if he was a police officer. When he stopped you should have asked if you were being detained or if you are free to go. He has to jump to the chase right there, and then you will know you are being arrested. If they dont have a reason to arrest you they are just messing with you and trying to get you to incriminate yourself. You didn't even have to give ID. Unless it was campus police then thats different

7. The dude claims the cop said that he smelled the weed.

Weed smell = probable cause.

8. #8 GratefulFred, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
    I have no idea what they had the right to do it but it seems they are trying to warn you off smoking on that spot. Sounds like it is time to find a new one. It could be that someone in the area has complained about it.

9. He caught them literally seconds after they finished smoking... He smelled MJ and saw a lighter. Any dumb-dumb would pull PC out of that,
    Lol "YOU'RE DETAINED"

10. In this case he did have the right because the OP gave the officer consent when he did not refuse the officers request to pat him down...Just like most people will immediately get out of a car if a cop asks them, which is giving them consent to search you and your vehicle you should have said i don't consent to an unwarranted search, although since the cop smelled cannabis that probable cause could have been enough alone.

11. I wouldn't have said a word then. I would tell him I would not like to say anything without a lawyer present. That gives them less information to bring to court, and you wouldn't incriminate yourselves further. 

12. i would of tossed the joint. 

13. Agreed, that is the correct move in this case.

14. You had weed on you that you just had lite. Yes they smelled it on you and yes they had probable cause by the smell. You just got lucky

Trim Nazi

15. Thank you sir! I'm glad there is someone in this thread that has some brains when it comes to your rights

16. Campus police are like security gaurds are they not?  I would have said "sorry, yeah we smoked some pot. Sorry, it's gone now" and then walked away. They are not sworn police officers are they? What are they gonna do tackle you and cuff you? My father would have phyisically beat the shit out of any campus police that ever laid a  hand on me. Fuck campus police. They probably smoke weed too.

17. Nowadays, almost all of campus police departments are actually police, who can arrest you. 
    http://uapd.arizona.edu/about-uapd

18. L
    O
    L
    You said the cop had no right to search or identify them when the officer clearly had probably cause.

Yeah, WE have no brains on the subject.  :rolleyes:

19. There are ways around that. Any cop could do that to anyone at any time of day.

20. i'd imagine if you are on campus property that you don't have the same rights as if you were on public property..