Diagnostic Issue - Weird leaf

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JoeString, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Hey everyone,

Hope your day is going all right. So I have this weird problem that can be seen on a couple of leafs on my tallest plant, so it may be induced from light burn or wind burn from being to close to the lights / fan obviously, but I can't seem to be able to diagnose the problem from anything I see online. Basically, one side of one part of the leaf turns yellow in patches and curls to one side (which might just be from internal stress but idk what that could be from). Significantly more of the leaves on this plant die off quicker than the other plants as well. Attached you'll see a pic of what I'm talking about. If any of you know what might be the problem, I would greatly appreciate some insight. Thanks :)

For reference: I'm growing five plants indoors using two '300 Watt' LEDs. The tallest plant is about 26" away right now (although it was about 20" away a week ago until I moved them further away) and the manufacturer recommends 18" minimum. Growing in coco / perlite and 4 gal containers and feeding fox farm nutes about half strength. They're on day 31 of flowering.

Attached Files:

2. Photos need to be normal light so we can see

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. looking like a touch of a virus heres a picture of a plant with a virus ..mac download (2).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. Attached are a few photos in normal lighting

Attached Files:

5. It definitely does look like that virus. And it's a more accurate similarity in appearance than just about any other issues I've seen. Looking into it, sources online say that it slows growth, which seems to be the case when comparing the buds on this plant to my others.

• Like Like x 2
  6. your plant doesnt look like its got the virus that bad but if you have any more plants try and keep it away from them ,dont touch any other plants if you have been messing around with the one with virus ,,,kep grow really clean etc ,,the yeild may be down a bit with the plant ,,but it'll still be ok to smoke ,,,mac.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I don't know at first I was thinking hungry than looked light nute burns on tips. It is up in ur new grows a little. U do ph and how much have u fed it and what? I don't think it's light burn u would see it on top and curled leave would be there. I'm not the greatest at deficiencies. I usually don't stress much about minor one. But seeing that in ur sugar leafs makes me wonder. Wait for one of the boys too look

• Like Like x 1
  8. Well Mac knows a lot and I have not dealt with virus so hmmmmm

• Like Like x 1
  9. plus the yellowing llower leaves are caused by your plant going in to flower after the stretch etc ..nothing reakly to worry about ,,if you want to give a feed a nutes with N in them ,,mac..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeah I used to give them almost full strength nutes but once I saw the burn I went towards half strength within a few feedings. I make about 1 gallon of nutes for the week, and I use that gallon on all of them. I split up the feeding into two during the week; about a half gallon on say Monday and the other half on Thursday or Friday. And give them a gallon of plain pH'd water split into two during the week as well (say Tuesday and Saturday or something like that). For nutes and water I usually pH around 6.0 - 6.3. Recently, I've been pH correcting to around 6.3 - 6.5 to help absorb cal and mag.

And in response to Mac, I just recieved a cal-mag-nitro solution in the mail that I was going to start using today. Hopefully that will help.

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 loki125, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    ever looked at varigation you can get differing extremes from.slight mottling to a yin yan type effect.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. i had a plamt witb varigation and turned out it was. not every yellow mottling is TMV

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Definitely a possibility, but either way, there isn't too much I can do other than try to avoid spreading TMV (in the case that it is) and to give some of the cal-mag-nitro nutes I bought.

@Papa Puff, @mactheman, and @loki125: Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it. After a few weeks or around the time I harvest, I'll post a follow-up and let you guys know how it all went. Take care

• Like Like x 2
  14. hi Loki yep youve hit on a point about variegation ,,,but i think with variegation the color is more pronounced ,,but of course i might be wrong :smiley-rolling-joint:mac..
    PS hi Loki how are you ,,i dont seem to have run into you lately ,,mac..

15. What strain you have there. this is a seedsmans haze plant and WW, I am thinking It is TMV HAD IT ON HAZE THEN SAW IT ON WW what I did not like

Attached Files:

16. haha yeah havent seen you in a while how are you?

yeah varigation come in looking like slightly mottled to full blow colour variatuon i had a auto ultimate that i thought had tmv. and it didnt spread or get worse or slow down my plant still one of the biggest plants ive done. but it wasnt long until i found out about varigation and found others with the stain found the same thing. and that pheno for me was big. then i find that the auto that was 1028g dry also had varigation. so im quite a firm believer that tmv can look like varigation

one way to test is to put a tomatoeplant in with your cannabis if it catches it. its likely tmv.

if you look at tmv on other plants it really fucks with the look and some time you get more of a textured surface if you look at tomatoe plants or tobacco its self it looks alot worse
    1519132004633.jpg
    1519132020940.jpg
    heres some pics from slightly mottles to full on varigaion
    1519132029382.jpg 1519132034176.jpg 1519132039109.jpg 1519132042448.jpg 1519132045673.jpg 1519132048412.jpg
    1519132306673.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. ive been here most of the time Loki ,,,looks like you been busy in the sick plants thread ,,,any how good to see ya ,,,mac,,

• Like Like x 1
  18. All my plants are Jock Horror, which is a hybrid from skunk, northern lights, AND.. wait for it.. HAZE haha.

But yeah @loki125, good chance it might be variegation then. Does variegation affect the plants ability to absorb light? Should I be spraying a nitrogen nute on the leaves to help maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  19. nope it dont seem to slow the plant down at all and nope nothi g you can do to fix it its genetic just keep an eye on it and dont touch otger plants i case of tmv just keep an eye on it and after this grow bleach and steam all you can the tent ect ect if ya in a tent.

never handle tobacco or smoke the. touch ya plants without washing ya hands. thats why it makes me cringe when people smoke joints and twnd to tgere plants.... not only will thw smoke clog the breathing holes of a leaf but can also.spread disease.

• Like Like x 1
  20. always used to see ya on the sick plants thread but ypu chnaged ypur avi haha wasntit a sugar skull or somethig like that