Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Diabetes and Marijuana

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by TryHarder, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Hey,

I have Type 1 diabetes. I was wondering if it would be okay if I smoked some reefer. I don't want to smoke then my blood sugar drop really really low and be so high I didn't know it.

Thanks in advanced,
    TryHarder

2. hey man i think i may be able to help you. my mother was the president of the ADA and the AADE so i have a pretty firm grasp on how to handle diabetes. first what kind of insulin are you taking? are you on an insulin pump or do you give yourself shots?

the only problems i can forsee is that you maybe have a drop in bloodsugar while high and it may be masked by the effects of being stoned. then when the munchies come you may see a spike in your bloodsugars. im guessing that if you're at a good bloodsugar before you smoke you are not going to have any problems with your bloodsugar droping to a dangerous level. if you have further questions feel free to pm me. also my moms pretty cool and i bet if i ask her she'll tell me if theres any proven medical compications of smoking with diabetes

3. I'm taking Humalog and I'm on an insulin pump. Yeah, I was planning on having diet drinks and food that doesn't have much carbs and sugar in them.

4. i talked to my mother the only problem she can forsee is that your metabolism will speed up causing a drop in bloodsugar.

oh and if i may as what kind of pump are you using?

5. It's an old 508. I'm sending it and getting the new Paradigm =D

6. nice my mom does R&D for Medtronic

7. I don't know what R&D is, but I get all my medical supplies from Medtronic.

8. research and development