Detroit to vote on marijuana legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by xdog, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Detroit to vote on marijuana legalization

Published: June 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM

DETROIT, June 2 (UPI) -- The Michigan Supreme Court ruled Detroit voters should be allowed to decide whether they want legalize marijuana.

The ruling Friday blocked the city's longstanding efforts to keep the referendum off ballots, The Detroit News reported.

If passed by voters in the Aug. 7 primary election, the referendum would pave the way for the legalized possession of and use of up to one ounce of marijuana on private property by those 21 and older, said Tim Beck, who heads the referendum group Coalition for a Safer Detroit.

"A long trail of voter abuse by the City of Detroit has come to an end," said Beck, 60, in an e-mail to supporters. "We got everything right. Our petitions were flawless."

In 2010, the Detroit City Council blocked the referendum from city ballots in a 3-0 vote, sparking a long legal battle between the city and marijuana advocates.

In February, the state Court of Appeals rejected the City Council's decision and said the ballot question should be allowed. The city appealed that ruling and took the dispute to the state Supreme Court.

Marijuana supporters, including those who use the drug as medicine, praised Friday's decision.
    "Anything that keeps law enforcement away from patients and caregivers is good," said Steven Greene, host of the weekly Medical Marijuana Radio Show on WDTW-AM.

Detroit police spokeswoman Sgt. Eren Stephens said that the department would adapt to legalization "if it's handled in an appropriate way, and this is what the citizens of Detroit choose."

Read more: Detroit to vote on marijuana legalization - UPI.com

2. Inch by inch.... the tide is turning.

3. #3 Storm Crow, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
    Just commented! :D

Here's what I said-

Perhaps everyone should read this little 2006 article from WebMD, "Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's". I think it provides a good reason to legalize cannabis.

“THC blocks an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase, which speeds the formation of amyloid plaque in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease.

The Alzheimer's drugs Aricept and Cognex work by blocking acetylcholinesterase. When tested at double the concentration of THC, Aricept blocked plaque formation only 22% as well as THC, and Cognex blocked plaque formation only 7% as well as THC.”

At twice the dose, Aricept worked only 22% as well as THC!

I can grow marijuana for THC at pennies a dose. You don't need to smoke marijuana. I can make "brownies" or other edibles. I can extract the THC in vegetable oil to use in cooking or put into capsules. Tinctures are very easy to do. And there is always vaporizing it.

Cannabis is a LOT more fun, and far safer than Aricept (look up Aricept's side effects for yourself!). I think that "feeling a bit too good", getting the munchies, "cotton mouth" and red eyes are quite mild when it comes to side effects, especially when the herbal medicine works almost 10 times better than the more dangerous pharmaceutical!

Once the medical facts about cannabis become known, the need for legalization becomes obvious!

YOUR TURN! :yay:Here's some more WedMD stuff you can use! Read, grab a quote and post! :hello:

Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries
    Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries

Chemicals in Marijuana May Fight MRSA
    Marijuana Ingredients May Fight MRSA

Marijuana's Active Ingredient Targets Deadly Brain Cancer
    Marijuana's Active Ingredient Targets Deadly Brain Cancer

Marijuana May Fight Lung Tumors
    Marijuana May Fight Lung Tumors

Marijuana Ingredients Slow Invasion by Cervical and Lung Cancer Cells Pot Slows Cancer in Test Tube

Marijuana Ingredient May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain
    Marijuana Ingredient May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain

Cannabis Relieves Multiple Sclerosis Pain (news - 2004)
    Cannabis Relieves Multiple Sclerosis Pain

Pot Chemical May Curb Inflammation (news – 2007)
    Pot Chemical May Curb Inflammation

Teen Pot Smoking Won't Lead to Other Drugs as Adults (news - 2010)
    Teen Pot Smoking Won't Lead to Other Drugs as Adults

Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain (news – 2003)
    Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain

Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill
    Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill

We can get this done. People will vote for cannabis once it becomes a personal issue! All you have to do is show them the facts!

If you have fibro and read that fibro article, the chance that it may help is enough to make you vote for it- even if you won't use it while it is against the law.

Granny :wave:

4. #4 stoned4sure003, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
    Granny, I aways look forward to one of your posts containing info like this it makes my goal to educate others that much easier. I consider you to be one of the best Cannabis gurus out there and I'm glad to be able to learn from your wisdom. And the fact that Detroit is doing this just means that the first domino in the legalization movement is about to completely hit the ground and start the chain of events that will lead us to victory in the War on the People.
    :hello: :hello: :hello:

5. Did this vote actually take place?

I tried searching the Detroit website, but could find no mention of this proposal.

Election Results | Department of Elections | City of Detroit | www.detroitmi.gov
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/...and SUMMARY REPORT_AUGUST 7 PRIMARY 2012.PDF
    Wayne County/City of Detroit election results | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Can someone who voted on the August 7 in Detroit confirm or deny that it appeared on the ballot?

I am not finding many mentions of this past June.

6. That's a damn good question...

7. my interest is piqued, hoping someone has an answer :)

8. I hope they don't make the same mistake we did in Cali when prop 19 didn't puff puff pass...now if it doesn't puff puff pass, the gov is gonna be in full force trying to shut everything down like they are doing here in Cali, because the majority voted NO on legalizing.

9. The vote was pushed back to November so there would be a higher turnout of voters. I think only 20% of registered voters or some ridiculously low number voted in the August 7 election.

10. Here is the difference tho. Prop 19 for Cali was for the whole state. This is just for Detroit. If it is no then that is not the "Majority" of Michigan residence, just the majority of D town. My point, if this does pass little me that is Not in Detroit can't walk around without prosecution, still illegal where I live where if prop 19 passed in Cali the whole state would be legal.

11. Figured I share some more Michigan news: Flint is going to vote on something very similar to Detroit and Grand Rapids is going vote on decriminalizing possession charges from a misdemeanor to a civil infraction.

12. Its probably easier just to get a card and to never have to worry about it. Thats what I did and it works great for me. Except on Federal Indian Rez. Stay far away as possible from those with or without a card.