Determining sex of plant?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DankGanjaDank, May 24, 2011.

1. I know you're suppoused to look at your plant and try to determine its sex as soon as possible but is it possible to determine the sex of a seed before it is even planted? Like if I was going to buy a pack of 10 seeds off the internet it's impossible to tell if the seeds will turn out male or female right? Some could be male, some female. Or all could be male right? I know it's unlikley but i'm just trying to make sure I have this information correct. The only way to tell the sex of a plant is once it has started growing correct?

2. No, you can't tell sex from seeds. The plant has to start growing flowers in order to be certain of gender. There are some techniques going around for determining sex during veg, but none have been proven reliable afaik.

3. #4 Wardrobe, May 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
    Jellyman is both right and wrong.
    If you buy feminized seeds you'll get all females, but they cost a little more.

N.B. A hermaphrodite won't produce any male seeds.
    You'll either get females or hermaphrodites.

4. Whether the seeds are feminized or not, you still can't determine gender from the seeds alone. Someone would have to tell you that they are feminized. Even if all feminized seeds were female 100% of the time, which they aren't, they won't look any different from male seeds.

5. I'm not interested in an in-depth argument on the subject.
    I only wanted to tell the OP how he could avoid males.
    Done.....