details of a wave?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by wafflemann, Jun 26, 2010.

1. I'm just a college student here but I just finished my most recent chemistry class called analytical chem 301 and I've been laying here just thinking about waves though. I'm just gonna type it now here and if I come back later and notice I sounded just completely insaine haha you all can just laugh at this post. But maybe this is good so just give this a look. haha maybe this sounds actually good :)

Just think how waves work. Like a speaker is and object that is solid made up of atoms. By moving the speaker by use of electricity you force this solid objects atoms back and forward. As these atoms come closer to the air atoms (like oxygen and argon) their magnetic fields repulse the magnetic fields of the air atoms. These air atoms do the same to other air atoms also in a ripple affect away from the epicenter. As you progress away from the epicenter the strength of these waves becomes smaller because when one air atom displaces another air atom | the reason you see waves is cause once the solid atom hits the air atom the air atom is pushed forward and hits another air atom. However if the solid atoms are moving at the right frequency the solid atoms could be much further back from the point where they originally stuck the air atoms. The air atoms when returning to their original state where they were disturbed by the solid atoms. They are returning because when those air atoms Struck further air atoms they were repulsed back my some momentum law. Anyway these atoms can travel beyond their point of strike origin until (if the solid atoms are moving at the correct frequency) they strike the solid atoms once more. This on a curve will create an exponential growth line until reaching a high point which defines the height of the wave and thus its frequency. [Work on why the curve goes back down] could we use the equation of this curve to learn more about atoms and their behaviors? Or more specifically how different atoms move waves. Like when you suck on helium and sound all squeaky..

2. That got way too confusing. I understand waves but your writing style just had me lost by the end.
    I think we already know why helium makes your voice squeaky though...

3. #3 fukface, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2010
    For what it's worth, the inter-molecular as well as inter-atomic forces are primarily related to electric charge distributions and their influence on other charge distributions rather than charge currents. Stated another way, inter-molecular and inter-atomic forces are primarily related to electric fields rather than magnetic fields.