"Desire is the Root of all Suffering"

Discussion in 'General' started by Jane_Bellamont, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Is desire the root of suffering?

As far as I remember, in the past couple of years .. I've desired love, a decent paying job, social recognition, etc.

Of course, there were times were I got close to achieving my goals .. I've successfully lied my way through job interviews, made out with a few chicks after a drunken night at a bar .. ... got views and likes on YouTube.. etc.

However, most of the times, I just feel that whatever progress I am making will always seem microscopic compared to what everybody else is accomplishing.

I may have landed an okay job, and lost my virginity .. but some of my high school friends are already buying their first house and getting married.

Here's the catch, though. Just a couple of days ago, I saw an article in the news saying 'Couple makes $100,000 a year, but still can't pay their bills..'

..Well no shit .. that's probably because your costs and level of consumption are greater than your income!

Which brings me to the question..

Does it make better sense to bust your ass to get the things that you want .. or does it make better sense to want less in life?

Some people may argue that there is a difference between needs and wants .. but where do you draw the line? We all desire love and sex, and yet it is actually possible to survive without it.. so it's not a 'need' in the same way that food and water is.

Here's a better question - Is it even possible to reduce your wants .. or are they always going to linger in your subconscious, haunting you everywhere you go .. as if you were a slave to your neurological chemistry?

What about those people who participate in the 'Fat Acceptance Movement'. They all say that they don't care about what people think of them .. they say they're happy being overweight.. but, aren't they perhaps just lying to themselves .. secretly?

Or maybe there really isn't a definite answer. I may pretend that I don't want to be super wealthy and have a sexy lesbian wife, but I would be lying to myself..

.. however, even if I did have a sexy, lesbian wife .. even if I were super wealthy.. I would still probably would be hungry for more, I would still feel like an insignificant piece of dirt, compared to everybody else.

Maybe life is just a living hell, a joke .. and it's on us.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. [​IMG]

Love or at least a sense of belonging is a basic human need on the road to self actualization.
    Rationalization is the most used adjustment mechanism.
    So...

:smoke:

• Like Like x 1

3. Some things in life are bad
    They can really make you mad
    Other things just make you swear and curse.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best... And...always look on the bright side of life... Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten
    There's something you've forgotten
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
    When you're feeling in the dumps
    Don't be silly chumps
    Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing. And...always look on the bright side of life... Always look on the light side of life...

For life is quite absurd
    And death's the final word
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.
    Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
    Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow. So always look on the bright side of death Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of shit
    When you look at it
    Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
    You'll see it's all a show
    Keep 'em laughing as you go
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you. And always look on the bright side of life... Always look on the right side of life... (Come on guys, cheer up!) Always look on the bright side of life... Always look on the bright side of life... (Worse things happen at sea, you know.) Always look on the bright side of life... (I mean - what have you got to lose?) (You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!) Always look on the right side of life...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Well as for the "fat acceptance movement"... *sigh* Obesity is VERY unhealthy and I hate the fact that we tell people they are "beautiful" for being a blob. I think it would be better to encourage them to eat well, to simply BE active, they don't have to be some 99lb supermodel, but they will feel so much better and don't have to live in denial and put on this fake front of, "I'm beautiful in my body and love & accept myself."

I think people should desire LESS. Before my world went to shit I lived with my XGF in a trailer, we barely had any expenses, had two decent cars paid for, we and our daughter had possibly everything we could ever need. We didn't have much but everything was taken care of. I was pretty happy.

Well... one of the reasons the relationship went to hell is because my X saw her sisters with nicer things. Their boyfriends were getting them clothes, new cars, nice engagement rings, they had flat screens, nice furniture, etc. My X got jealous and wanted to keep up with the Benjamin's so to speak, she rebounded and her new man provided ALL of that stuff. Nice new TV, nice new furniture, new vehicles, new clothes, engagement ring, MORE.

Me personally, I'd be happy with a clean trailer, a car that runs, delicious food to eat, plenty of pot to smoke, and good sex life with a hotty with a body, virtually little to no bills.

I too have that feeling, where I'm 27, my friends have graduated and got degrees, some are traveling the world, everybody with happy wives and starting families, and here I am, no relationship, failed at being a family man, never have been outside of U.S.A., unemployed, living with my mom, waiting on a mechanic for 2 fucking months now to fix my god damn car.

Just take life one day at a time. Don't worry so much about the past fuck ups, don't worry so much about where you need to be. Just be here. You never know, the script can always flip and we'll be balling somewhere in the near future while our friends lives go to complete shit.

I told my bro this one analogy once:

You're trippin' too much about what's for desert and finishing it, and the truth is, the appetizers JUST got to the table. Chill out and enjoy the taste of the food!

• Like Like x 2
  5. in a ways yes, "sure i'd like a pony" but have come to accept that it's going to be years before I can even think of my pony "motorcycle". rather then think about the unreachable think about the sustainable. unless you want to bust your ass to achieve. just like walking up the descending escalator all up to you and how you feel at the end of the day

and for the love of god stay off facebook. every time I go on there I see everybody and how they have it made, where they've been, how many friends they have, and what swanky items they have..... well I don't have it made, haven't been, and am friendless and am not going to have either for a while, so its best to ignore that shit because it can take a toll on you seeing others happy when your struggling to find something that makes you happy

doesn't mean one should give up on happiness or desires, because it will always be there. it's just what you can make with what you have been given by the universe. some are late bloomers ,me, and others have the spoon in their mouths from birth. just don't give up

and fat acceptance, well its up to the individual. some can't help it some just don't want to, but age is a cruel basted eventually the weight takes a toll on your body. usually by then you start hurting and you don't want to move to shed the weight and well ....down hill but as young as I am 15lbs is a lot of weight and shedding it is like taking years off your feeling of age

6. what about memes[​IMG]

I get my quick meme fix on facebook all the time, dank weed and dank weed, you're in for a good time

• Like Like x 2
  7. well I guess memes are the exception. just everybody uses it for different reasons, me I may go on maybe twice a year to make myself depressed or just to get a general idea on how my high school class mates are doing

• Like Like x 1
  8. Perhaps you're desiring the wrong things...

Allan Watts was a brilliant philosopher & university professor. Often when advising his students the issue of desire and 'What do I want to do in life?' came up. He said to truly find what you desire you must approach the question in this way...'What would you do if money were no object?' And you do that instead of chasing money. Better to have a short life that is full of what you like than to have a long life spent in a miserable way.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Let's say you could 100% get rid of every single desire you ever had ever. I can tell you, you can still get shot, abducted, tortured, stub your toe on a table, experience pain and if you have friends, experience loss.

10. Finally, someone who gets it. Everyone must love Propane and Propane accessories.

• Like Like x 2