Designing my new space

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Shark bait, Sep 6, 2012.

1. For a while now I have been trying to figure out the best way to expand my flower space, which currently is about a 2' by 2' with 6 foot ceiling, panda liner home made tent. I have decided to section off a part of the basement and make 2 rooms, a flower space and veg/mom/ work space. My current veg space is a home made cabinet, 39.5" wide, 57" tall, 24.25" deep, with an small shelf built into the top maybe a couple inches down to hold the excess cords and plugs.

THE NEW SPACE

5.5' wide (oil tank limits this), just shy of 12' long (window limits this) and about 7 feet to the ceiling, with some pipes running along the ceiling in places.

I pan to add a dividing wall around the 8 foot/4 foot make, in the end leaving the flower space twice as long as the veg/mom/workspace.

All walls and ceiling will be covered in Mylar, if possible the pipes will also be put behind the Mylar, and all corners will be rounded/45ed to remove the 90 degree angles, thus trying to keep the light bouncing every where.

The floor I was thinking about painting white, but I do not want to make it slippery. I also have access to pallets, and have thought of using them as my floor, keeping the plants off the cold floor and also allowing for air flow under the plants, I can also use pallets and some plywood.

Exhaust: Will put a vent of some sort on the side of the house and also have a tee to also vent back into the basement in the winter to help heat. I will be making a homemade charcoal filter system maybe a 5 gallon bucket maybe smaller, and pulling the exhaust air from there.

In the next few weeks I will begin to set up this area, please feel free to ask, suggest and/or make comments, all are welcome to help guide me in this project.

2. You may be better off just purchasing a carbon filter. Most the home made versions I've seen don't work very well. You can get a decent filter for around 100 bucks too, it's a decent price.

3. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the space. Good luck!

4. [quote name='"ohspyro89"']You may be better off just purchasing a carbon filter. Most the home made versions I've seen don't work very well. You can get a decent filter for around 100 bucks too, it's a decent price.[/quote]

I have not looked into this yet, but can you tell me why they don't work, and is there a filter I can reuse or one time use kind of thing?

Thanks

5. I realize the expense of a carbon filter sucks but the way I look at it, it's like a $10/month investment in security. I'd rather spend the money and have the peace of mind that somebody won't be knocking down my door because of the smell.

Also, I don't want my house smelling like cannabis! :p

6. Some photos

image-2430744712.jpg

My current space

Attached Files:

7. The new space as of now

Got some work to do but it will all be worth it, as you can see I need Flower space

Peace

Attached Files:

8. Got some work done

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. Also did some shopping

Attached Files:

10. OK now for lights to start with, one 600 watt HPS, and one DS 200 Diamond LED 3w LEDs with Optical lens.

I also have and will be using CFL's around the perimeter. I have a bunch already and thus keeps the current $$$ investment low, and as I start harvesting thus saving money and then can invest more.

With the HPS, it is my understanding that I should keep the balast out side the room. Any ideas on to do this?

Peace

11. I plan on running the LED and CFL's 12/12 and the HPS on 1 hour after and off 1 hour before, thus using the HPS 10/14

12. You aren't going to enclose the space at all? You're just going to leave it as is and throw lights up? Or if you're planning on enclosing it a bit what's your final layout going to be? If it's the 12' by 5.5' you were talking about, that's a big space and with proper ventilation I doubt you need to put your ballast outside.

There is no way a 600W HPS along with some LED's and CFL's are going to heat it up so much that ballast heat will contribute to the problem. Mine is enclosed on 4 sides and I'll have my ballast mounted on the wall just outside the grow room. I couldn't believe how cool it ran when I had it on but I'd still prefer to not have it inside the grow room.

13. Yes the walls should be going up in the next week, I will split the space, leaving 2/3 for flower. I will be adding more lights as I can and need. I was thinking about building a shelf on the top portion of the wall on the outside, but always open to suggestions.

thanks for stopping by

Peace

14. Power to the room

I am going to run a sub panel from a dual 30 amp breaker (60 total i think), to a sub panel on the outside wall. From there I am thinking 4 breakers, 1 running 2 outlets on the flowered on an outside wall shelf for ballasts, 1 running 1 outlet for each flower and veg on outside shelf, thus being 3 outlets for flower and 1 for veg on the outside wall where there will be a shelf put in for ballasts and anything else that I can keep out of hte room. 1 breaker will be running 4 outlets in the flower space and the 4th breaker will be running 4 outlets in the veg space.

Questions to be answered

How do I hook up a sub panel, from the dual breaker, should I use 10/3 wire or is 12/3 or 14/3 (already have some of this) ok?

Is it ok or even a good Idea to put outlets in the grow space, and it if is should i use a special kind? I am planning on using a GFC on each run, I believe you can only use one per circuit and it should be at the beginning.

thanks for any input

15. A basic diagram

Room plan.jpg

16. Letting you know I read your thread, and it seems your planning is sound.
    I'll hang out for a while and lurk, keep an eye out.
    If I see you need something, I'll post up.
    Peace:cool:

17. [quote name='"SG1"']Letting you know I read your thread, and it seems your planning is sound.
    I'll hang out for a while and lurk, keep an eye out.
    If I see you need something, I'll post up.
    Peace:cool:[/quote]

Thanks

18. Flower room lighting.

I would use probably 1-600wt MH and 1-600wt HPS.
    I would set them at 18-24" apart.

19. [quote name='"SG1"']Flower room lighting.

I would use probably 1-600wt MH and 1-600wt HPS.
    I would set them at 18-24" apart.[/quote]

The MH for light spectrum?

20. Trust me on this 1.

MH = raw lumens/power/light intensity
    HPS = red spectrum for flowering, but not as powerful lumen wise.

The 2 together has been an important part of my abundant bud growth.

My first 10 yrs growing was with strictly MH.
    Since I combined the 2, holy shit!!:wave: