designing a mother box?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by xtcking, Mar 28, 2012.

1. hey blades, ive been thinking about getting some seeds of a favourite strain.. and growing kind of a master mother. ideally i would like bonsai her in veg state for... well years.. and just clone her when i want to grow one out to flower.

but i need it to be as super stealth as i can be... this is still in very early stages of planning but heres some ideas i have

stained wood box, made out of... probably oak maybe cedar to help with smell. size to be determined..
    it would be a square or rectangle.. im thinking of coking(?) the inside at the joints. maybe a matting to cover the inside too. one side wall to use at the door, which im gunna try and rig a rubber seal on it. i want this thing smell proof to the max!. also.. i want to put a socket with a CFL in the top and i want to try and get a solar panel on the top of the box that i can hook up to the light, be awesome if it was self sufficient.. but i doubt it.

any one got other ideas? i want this to be as self contained as i can.... totally smell proof! and just be something i can put in a closet or my shed and leave for a while just check on it like 3 times a week or so.. and for the record i have a slow release water system i can put in place.

all feedback welcome!!

2. Your gunna need some sort of ventilation in ther. And at least 100 watts of CFL's

3. What kind of setup do you have? I ask because it just makes sense to keep mothers in your veg area. Do you want to make a box for vegging or just to keep a mom alive? What will you do with all your cuttings? I built a veg box that's light-proof and has the room for a 4" filter, if odor control is needed, but it's a bit much just to keep a mom.

For what you're doing, I'd just use a cardboard box, couple of cfls, and a 6" fan for ventilation. You can go all out with light-proofing and odor control, but if you're going to do all that, might as well make room for a few more plants and do it right for all your work. :bongin:

4. yeah veg plants dont smell much very faint

for ur box use plywood or particle board to keep costs down and caulk is a good idea also flat white paint or mylar (not foil) on the inside

5. Im in college, and go home in the off season so im moving alot. so i want a dedicated.. box/chest/cabinet. and if i use her id have a separate grow room for the clones. but that changes often and sometimes i cant grow for a while. so i thought making a box, it would be fairly inconspicuous.

but i want to create a mother that i will always use. and i can make more if needed for each grow.

6. I would make a pvc frame and the wrap it in panda film with 2' T5s in it, 4" fan and filter inside blowing or outside of it sucking to make negative air pressure

7. ya.. ventilation is the one element i over looked.

8. think i could put "air holes in one side, like you would for an animal and group them up and put a fan on the inside to suck air in? or i could fit a filter in between the wall and the fan and have it blow air out?

but i dunno how to power it.. use the solar panel to help power that too? im gunna have to have a wall plug off it for back up power anyway cause solar wont do the light for 18+ hours a day.

9. Solar isnt really they way cause like u say 18 hours that lights gotta b on for in veg. Your refering to a passive intake. Holes lower down would b fine if you hav fans exausting the hot air generated by the bulbs up top. These exaust fans will use the air pressure in your grow space to pull air in the bottom to replace whats been pulled out.

Pc fans and mobile phone chargers are the cheapest way im aware of to acheive this

10. well the solar idea is just to help lower cost of power, 18 hours a day adds up. and plus it solar/battery adds mobility and then it doesn't have to spend so much time near a plug.

i could keep the fan lower on one side for exhaust and make an intake area, as the air gets pulled out more will get pulled in from the other side..

11. [quote name='"xtcking"']well the solar idea is just to help lower cost of power, 18 hours a day adds up. and plus it solar/battery adds mobility and then it doesn't have to spend so much time near a plug.

i could keep the fan lower on one side for exhaust and make an intake area, as the air gets pulled out more will get pulled in from the other side..[/quote]

1. CFL's dont cost hardly nothin at all to run so it will take a lot of crops for a solar panel to cover its install cost in saving money on electric running them.

2. You may (probably will) end up with a heat problem if your exhaust is lower down, this will b caused as the heat built up by your bulbs will hav no way of escaping and will be "trapped" at the top with nowhere to go. Hence why an exaust or filter leading to the exhaust is at the top, to pull out all the hot air and prevent build up of heat

12. so top exhaust middle or bottom intake.

13. [quote name='"xtcking"']so top exhaust middle or bottom intake.[/quote]

Ye exhaust is always best as high as possible to get rid of all the excess heat from the bulbs, intake can b anywhere but to get the best results place the intake low and exhaust high buddy