Desicions...Desicions...need some help on this one.

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by SmilingAardvark, Sep 21, 2011.

1. #1 SmilingAardvark, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
    Hello everyone, I am currently in a tug of war with myself trying to decide what down-stem to buy for my bong. My bong is 18.8 and I was looking at all the 18.8>18.8's online and have come to somewhat of a stalemate.

On one hand i have the Black Leaf 4-arm diffused down-stem.
    [​IMG]
    :ey: :ey: :ey: :ey: :ey: :ey:
    And on the other hand, I have the Weed Star HQ diffused downstem.
    [​IMG]
    If you guys could help me make up my mind I would really appreciate it. If you have any questions regarding what my piece is or any questions on the downstems, let me know.
    Peace! :bongin: :bongin: :bongin: :bongin: :bongin: :bongin: :bongin:

2. [quote name='"SmilingAardvark"']Hello everyone, I am currently in a tug of war with myself trying to decide what down-stem to buy for my bong. My bong is 18.8 and I was looking at all the 18.8>18.8's online and have come to somewhat of a stalemate.

On one hand i have the Black Leaf 4-arm diffused down-stem.

:ey: :ey: :ey: :ey: :ey: :ey:
    And on the other hand, I have the Weed Star HQ diffused downstem.

If you guys could help me make up my mind I would really appreciate it. If you have any questions regarding what my piece is or any questions on the downstems, let me know.
    Peace! :bongin: :bongin: :bongin: :bongin: :bongin: :bongin: :bongin:[/quote]

Most definitely the weed star mate ;)

3. Yeah, I think I'm with you. Plus the blue Weed Star logo is the exact same logo on the bong. Matching. :yummy:

4. From personal experience I have to say weed star glass is of better quality then Black leaf.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLKwbW02EXI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

But remember my six shooter it ripped haha idk man it's a tough call

5. Yeah, too bad we didn't get the most out of it :(
    I guess HQ it is, I'll still leave this thread up until I've completely made up my mind, anyone else is more than welcome to throw their two cents.

6. I'd say neither; get an Alex K showerhead.

It's only $40 and functions great when it's perpendicular to the ground. There are 18.8>18.8's available as well. It will be better, in my opinion, than either of those posted above.

7. [quote name='"dirtridge"']I'd say neither; get an Alex K showerhead.

It's only $40 and functions great when it's perpendicular to the ground. There are 18.8>18.8's available as well. It will be better, in my opinion, than either of those posted above.[/quote]

I just looked that up. Looks crazy as fuck, unfortunately my bong's downstem is at a 45• angle but if I ever get an ash-catcher with a downstem at 90, I'm picking up one of those showerheads for sure.

8. The reason why I included the 90* note was to let you know that if you were to tilt your bong, it would function perfectly.
    Does your tube have any percolators already in it? (ie. trees, a dome, etc.) If so, then--pending their quality--I might not recommend the showerhead.

9. [quote name='"dirtridge"']
    The reason why I included the 90* note was to let you know that if you were to tilt your bong, it would function perfectly.
    Does your tube have any percolators already in it? (ie. trees, a dome, etc.) If so, then--pending their quality--I might not recommend the showerhead.[/quote]

Those do look great, I don't see why they wouldn't work to they're full potential on a 45?

10. [quote name='"dirtridge"']
    The reason why I included the 90* note was to let you know that if you were to tilt your bong, it would function perfectly.
    Does your tube have any percolators already in it? (ie. trees, a dome, etc.) If so, then--pending their quality--I might not recommend the showerhead.[/quote]

I don't see why that downstem wouldn't work to it's fullest potential on a 45

11. God damn it it tells me it didn't go threw so I post another -.-

Idk how to delete it on my phone sorry haha

12. for the price the black leaf looks really nice..i might pick one up for my blackleaf piece just to match up.

PUFFER

13. Because the slits are all the same size, in a 45 degree joint the slits facing directly up will have much less air resistance. When you pull, smoke will travel in the path of least resistance--that's just physics--having it at 90 will compensate for some of that.

It will not be perfect, because some slits will still be further away, though it'll be pretty damn good.

Hope that helps.

14. [quote name='"dirtridge"']
    Because the slits are all the same size, in a 45 degree joint the slits facing directly up will have much less air resistance. When you pull, smoke will travel in the path of least resistance--that's just physics--having it at 90 will compensate for some of that.

It will not be perfect, because some slits will still be further away, though it'll be pretty damn good.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Oh thank you i understand

15. [quote name='"dirtridge"']

I wouldnt mind tilting the bong but i rather not considering it has a 7-arm tree perc

16. Honestly, none of them will fire 100% at 45*, and the Alex K is a bit more reputable/trustworthy.

17. I might just end up getting an ash catcher attachment instead considering your absolutely right about them not firing 100% and I'd rather get an attachment for 40$ than a downstem. :hello::hello:

18. #18 eazydoes, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
    True, none will fire fully at 45. With a perc you don't want to tilt it or the perc won't perform to it's full. However they're all made for 45 tubes so you can buy whichever you want.

This being said I pick the Black Leaf out of the two. Looks like a Luke Wilson/Leisure knock off but only has 4 arms instead of 6 and isn't as nice quality made. However I'm sure it isn't $65 either.

[​IMG]

So yeah I would buy the Leisure or the Alex K. Another great option is the SG Gridded. I wouldn't really look at any others.

Edit. Well regarding the above post, I would say you're underestimating the improvement a downstem can make if you get a good one! An AC will add some drag and depending on the AC you might have to spend a 150 for a decent one. Some even have removable downstems (RooR for example) with a single hole so in that case you'd want a downstem for the AC and tube.

19. I can never seem to make up my mind with these kinds of things, if your wondering what bong im using its the weed star fat joe 7- arm tree perc, the downstem is a bit longer than most so at this point im looking for any kind of difused downstem that is around 17.5mm's to replace the one my bong came with. Something not too pricey thats why i was looking into ws.

20. You must mean CM. So between a 6.5 and 7" downstem. But is that the complete length, or from the top of the ground joint to the end of the perc?

If you buy a Leisure for example and you get the 7" length, the total length ends up being 7.5". They state this in the ad though.

The Leisure and Alex K are in stock for those sizes, but some of them are 14/18 profile. So you fit a 14mm slide in a 18mm downstem (ei you might need a new slide if you don't have a 14mm). This is most people's preference, mine included. However you'd need a 14/14 AC or no AC. If you wanted an AC I'd get a carbon filter.

Edit it's funny most people say WS but the poll suggests BL.