desiccant silica gel

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by mochenmat, Dec 24, 2011.

1. so would adding those lil dessicant packets you find in beef jerkey or what not help in the begining stages of curing to get the moisture out or would it take the moisture out to quickly?

2. Great question. It might end up pulling moisture out too quick...however, I could see this working possibly. Give it a shot, one jar with and one with out. Post back with results.

3. Will do...though it might be a month away before I harvest ha

4. That's why we got subscribed threads, they can go dormant and then you post your results a month from now :D

5. hmm good question actually, I was just about to go out and buy some DampRid tomorrow, but now that you mention it, I can get a boat load of these things for free at work! I will also attempt a use at these and report back! :wave:

6. WARNING! SILICA PACKS ARE VERY TOXIC I REPEAT VERY TOXIC doesnt sound like a good idea to me (u wanna smoke/taste silica lool)

adding silicas to seeds that ur storing for a long time is a good idea and recremmended by most grow guides

7. [quote name='"bongboi"']WARNING! SILICA PACKS ARE VERY TOXIC I REPEAT VERY TOXIC doesnt sound like a good idea to me (u wanna smoke/taste silica lool)

adding silicas to seeds that ur storing for a long time is a good idea and recremmended by most grow guides[/quote]

You think if I just take a bunch and place them in a cup in my grow room it will huert?

8. trying to lower humidity? shouldnt hurt
    the beef jerky ones will make ur stash smell like jerky

9. [quote name='"bongboi"']trying to lower humidity? shouldnt hurt
    the beef jerky ones will make ur stash smell like jerky[/quote]

Haha naw I probably won't use ones from beef jerky, I've got access to loads of them at work, ill just put a handful in a cup or something in my grow chamber and poke some holes in it. Its not harmful with air circulation? That's all I'm worried about it won't get in, on, or anywhere too near them plants.

10. I read that they're "nearly harnless" here: HowStuffWorks "What is silica gel and why do I find little packets of it in everything I buy?"

Also here: Silica gel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "Silica gel is non-toxic, non-flammable, and non-reactive and stable with ordinary usage."

A packet of them comes in nearly every bottle of multivitamin I buy!

I have a feeling that if you put them beneath a paper towel or something, not allowing them to come into contact with your buds, their dessicant properties might help in the curing.

The first article also says they're used to help prevent mold.

11. ive used them to dry out damp weed ive been sold before but never for curing i was recently asking myself the same question but i think it would dry it too fast

12. Well I'm about to chop down my babies so I'll get back on how the test batch I use with and w/o it

13. #13 bongboi, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
    Hazards

Silica gel is non-toxic, non-flammable, and non-reactive and stable with ordinary usage. It will react with hydrogen fluoride, fluorine, oxygen difluoride, chlorine trifluoride, strong acids, strong bases, and oxidizers.[6] Silica gel is irritating to the respiratory tract and may cause irritation of the digestive tract, and dust from the beads may cause irritation to the skin and eyes, so precautions should be taken.[8] Some of the beads may be doped with a moisture indicator, such as cobalt(II) chloride, which is toxic and may be carcinogenic. Cobalt (II) chloride is deep blue when dry (anhydrous) and pink when moist (hydrated). Self-indicating (blue to pink) silica gel was reclassified by the European Union as of 01/07/2000 as a toxic material due to the heavy metal cobalt which forms part of the moisture sensitive indicator. Self-indicating (orange) silica gels (orange to green and orange to colourless) are non-toxic and non-flammable.
    Crystalline silica dust can cause silicosis but synthetic amorphous silica gel is non-friable, and so does not cause silicosis.

hey im not doctor but if u get sick at least u have cannabis to smoke :bongin:

14. I guess if you eat it or smoke it it can be bad... But like I said, a lil packet of silica comes in pretty much every bottle of vitamins (to keep the stuff dry) so I think it's okay as long as you leave it in the packet...

15. ... and use the kind that is designed for stuff you consume (eg. food, vitamins) rather than the kind that gets packed with electronic equipment let's say...

16. So far its not bad! When I go to burp the jar its not all musty like it normally is the first few days of jarring but the buds are soft and not drying to quick :) I'll give it a week or two and :smoking: to test flavor

17. I do this every time I harvest. Once everything is trimmed and ready for the jars I fill them and drop a small packet down the side of the jar. They come in some other meds I take. They are about half an inch by two inches. If they are next to my pills they can be next to my weed. I wouldn't sprinkle it around in there, but a Med grade dessicant in a packet should be fine.