Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Depression and Smoking?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by viewfair, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I've been dealing with depression and social problems for a few years now. For the past 2 years I've been smoking typically everyday a few times a day. Are there any studies linked with Marijuana causing depression to worsen? I've always thought it was making me happier, but I'm starting to wonder if it really is, if nows the time to do be doing it or if I shouldn't be until I'm out of this problem.

2. Yeah I've noticed this too, I've never really had depression, and the first year and a half I smoked it was nothing but happiness. Now I'm starting to notice a little bit of depression when I'm not high. I'm trying to cut down right now and I will be stopping completely for a good amount of time very soon.

3. Are you sure it's a chemical imbalance? Depression is almost as overused as ADD. It's ok to be sad every so often. I've found that a lot of people say they're depressed when in actuality they're not sure how to handle their problems.

As far as being "depressed" when not smoking, well weed does cause feelings of euphoria. Maybe you're just not AS happy as when you were high.

4. Just be happy and have fun.

Like Jimmy Carlin.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V7PEEzPaFg&list=FL4ySpn86nO9U9uY9e93jcPw&index=21&feature=plpp_video]The Jimmy Carlin Experience - YouTube[/ame]

5. So it's basically like this... if you're high all the time your body will start to treat that as you being "normal." Your brain will anticipate the effects of the THC and stop producing regular amounts of serotonin and shit, and so whenever you aren't smoking you'll feel mildly depressed.

6. When I used to smoke a lot it made me apathetic so idk OP

7. source plox

8. This is what can cause depression whilst smoking....

The fact that you realize that others around you who dont smoke are stressed and depressed and you feel guilty or bad due to the fact you are feeling so good.

When you run out of an amazing strain that works for you and you have to put up with what ever you can get again.

If you have not got your life in order and you smoke it makes you realize how much of an idiot you have been.

The fact you realize how bad this world were living inn actually is and why cant we all get along.

Its not the actual weed causing the depression its the shit surrounding prohibition and the constant doubting yourself, so my advice find a good day time strain and good night time strain dont over do it, keep on track of you life and let the weed just sort of guide you dont over think just smoke!

:smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:

9. True. Also I think your mindset and your way of thinking is responsible for all of these problems. Learn to control this, make place for positive thinking only. Marijuana is also known as a good ''anti-depressant''.

10. I saw this on a natgeo special on marijuana.

11. I've suffered from depression aswell and my experience is kinda mixed. When I first started smoking weed many years ago I had no change in mood for about 6 months, after that I started feeling more energized, more fresh, happy and in general more positive thinking.

As my life progressed and I finished my studies and was ready to find a job I decided to take a break because I couldn't just sit at work all relaxed and kinda lazy.
    When I took my break I felt my depression hitting me right in the back of my head as a rock. I felt I had to smoke again to get my "positive-thinking" back, so it was really rough for me to stop smoking as I would return to my old sad thoughts.

My conclusion and experience tells me not to smoke a lot of weed if you suffer from a depression, seek a doctor (but don't fill yourself with pills and shit), find a natural way of releasing your emotions and finding the right track again.

Smoking weed while having a depression helps, but when/if you stop smoking, the depression can come back twice as hard.

That's my experience through. Today, I work as a graphic designer, I smoke once or twice a week (typically in weekends).

Hope it helps.

12. well heres my thing,
    I was never depressed like happiest kid around and for about a year now I've been a regular pot user and loving it, but today has been a downfall. Ive been mad depressed today and a little depressed all week. I think its cause I'm high all the time and when I'm high I'm having a good time but I dont actually accomplish anything. I havent had week for 4 days now and I usually do it 2 - 3 times per day.. so not doing it for 4 days I guess im kinda looking at life and that got me depressed. I havent done anything that I should be doing I usually just smoke weed all day and go to work, but my room is a mess and theres a buncha stuff im supposed to do that i just havent done cause ive been lazy. like i obviously dont wanna give up weed and dont plan on it but I need ways to figure out how to get shit done and focus while smoking weed. im also alone alot so that contributed to being depressed today, when im high and alone it doesnt matter but no weed and no friends its a hurtin time.

any suggestions?:confused:

13. I wouldn't personally suggest using cannabis as a only-solution to threat depression. I sounds like it makes you lazy and not feeling like you accomplish anything in your daily life. If this is the case, I would stop smoking it for a period, take a break from it and take contact to a doctor about your depression(s) and view(s) on life.

The doctor will probably give you lots of different pills and stuff, I would reject that and go for a more alternative solution (there's lots of herbals, natural supplements) to threat you depression.

Being high is great and it often makes big issues (like a depression) smaller, but it doesn't "cure" you or help you get better. As mentioned above, I've also suffered from depression(s), I smoked to be happy but in the end I just ended up making it all worse because when I wasn't high, I was thinking differently.

So, my advice would be to put your pot away for a good while, find yourself, your path and tell your doctor about your position/situation. - You said you won't get up weed which is fine, but don't make it control your life :)

It's EASY to live a normal life with work, family, friends, activities while smoking pot. Just as long as you don't allow the effect to control you so you end up being "lazy" and not "accompish" anything :)

Stay positive, think positive, listen to some positive music :) Every little thing can help cure your mind.

14. do you get at least 3 hours of more of excersise a day? i was depressed forever i thought weed helping, then i realized it wasnt, its all in your head, i thought i was crazy and never going to be happy again, its all about endorphins man fuck weed for depression use it for anxiety and let endorphins be your depressiion cure seriously, us "depressed" people need to be active all the time or bad thoughts will start to come up for no reason, I stay outside at least 5 hours a day now and I am CURED

15. My depression was very closely tied with my social anxiety which weed very much helped. It made me more confident an gave me a better mentality. It helped me to not care what other people thought. Even when I'm not high, weed has helped my depression/social anxiety a lot.

16. Im definitely smoking way too much bud. I'd really love to get down to 2 or 3 times a week. Doing it everyday is fun at first but it really is counterproductive for some people.

17. [quote name='"nomoredoubts"']This is what can cause depression whilst smoking....

The fact that you realize that others around you who dont smoke are stressed and depressed and you feel guilty or bad due to the fact you are feeling so good.

When you run out of an amazing strain that works for you and you have to put up with what ever you can get again.

If you have not got your life in order and you smoke it makes you realize how much of an idiot you have been.

The fact you realize how bad this world were living inn actually is and why cant we all get along.

Its not the actual weed causing the depression its the shit surrounding prohibition and the constant doubting yourself, so my advice find a good day time strain and good night time strain dont over do it, keep on track of you life and let the weed just sort of guide you dont over think just smoke!

:smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:[/quote]

Dude....

This just made so much sense to me

18. [quote name='"girlcooksalot"']well heres my thing,
    I was never depressed like happiest kid around and for about a year now I've been a regular pot user and loving it, but today has been a downfall. Ive been mad depressed today and a little depressed all week. I think its cause I'm high all the time and when I'm high I'm having a good time but I dont actually accomplish anything. I havent had week for 4 days now and I usually do it 2 - 3 times per day.. so not doing it for 4 days I guess im kinda looking at life and that got me depressed. I havent done anything that I should be doing I usually just smoke weed all day and go to work, but my room is a mess and theres a buncha stuff im supposed to do that i just havent done cause ive been lazy. like i obviously dont wanna give up weed and dont plan on it but I need ways to figure out how to get shit done and focus while smoking weed. im also alone alot so that contributed to being depressed today, when im high and alone it doesnt matter but no weed and no friends its a hurtin time.

any suggestions?:confused:[/quote]

Clean your room while sober

Then get really high when your done, in your room of course.

19. I'm in the same boat with a lot of y'all, dealing with depression for a couple years now. I have noticed also that apathetic mentality that you get when you smoke a lot.

Solution? Use smoking as kind of reward, an incentive to get shit done and then enjoy a nice bowl. The more you procrastinate, the more you just avoid responsibilities, the more depressed you'll be, hence feeling that apathy or depression when you're high. You just gotta find that balance between smoking and real life responsibility and you'll be golden.

20. I searched for a thread like this because I can't really tell if I'm depressed or just negative and cynical. For about a year before I started smoking I was very unhappy for a number of reasons, even going so far as to select a method of suicide (but that phase only lasted briefly).

I started blazing to experiment rather than to escape reality, and now having just passed my one year anniversary of smoking I'm beginning to wonder about shit. I never find myself to be joyful or excited about anything, not even smoking, and I feel generally desensitized. I felt that way before I started smoking though.

Weed has made me ponder society and humanity in a critical way, and I don't like my findings. I'm almost positive I would feel the same even if I didn't smoke, and weed provides great stress relief and I judge people a lot less now. Am I depressed or just negative? Anybody else been through a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated.

I should mention that I did very well in school last year, and I'm still motivated to keep my options open for the future by getting a quality education. Other than school, skateboarding, and psychoactive substances, nothing really interests me.