Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Depression and anxiety. Marijuana ?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Oregoniannewbie, Aug 26, 2015.

1. I am a new smoker. I am 37 and I had a stroke a few years ago. I have been using some anti depressants from my doctor, but nothing is working. I hear people saying that marijuana helps them, but my question is how does that help anxiety/depression ? I pretty much need to wait till October to get some marijuana in Oregon. I don't have a source and probably wouldn't feel comfortable buying it from anyone anyway. I'm just curious if anyone could suggest anything that would help with anxiety and depression. I have only had one strain and it was a sativa that was pretty trippy. When i get some weed I will be looking for some Indica, witch will hopefully get me a couple of hours of sleep. In the day it would be nice to get some sativa, that would just make me happy. The sativa I had didn't make me happy or laugh it was just trippy. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Personally, herb usually helps with depression while I'm high. After I come off of it, though, it'll usually return not too long after. I don't have anxiety so I can't help you there. What I CAN say is that Indica is definitely the best for depression and anxiety, as you'll just end up sinking into a couch and not having a care in the world except the TV you're focused on. Or if you're with people it starts up some interesting conversations. [​IMG]

3. #3 PotNation17, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
    Well, I can't make any suggestions myself but there is this website that has different strains of marijuana and effects of them. Also thy have a explorer to help you find exactly what you want.(Assuming it actually works) I would try that, and I'm sure there is someone here at GC that will have good suggestions.
    Here's the strain explorer: https://www.leafly.com/start-exploring

4. I like thcv strains for a happy buzz..only ones ive had are nebula from paradise seeds and moby dick from dinafem and both are ww x haze...For relaxing mellow buzz blueberry and its crosses are always tried and true

5. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I read the leafly reviews and everything is good, but then some user will say something like wow "on hit and It felt like I was taking acid" Or something that will make me not want to try the stain.. Northern Lights looks interesting..

6. #6 wafdof, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
    Go to leafly or some other strain sight is probably the best advice I can give. We have tried many many strains and they are all different. What works for me might not be good for you. My wife will not smoke several strains that I enjoy because they give her a headache. Several strains give her tons of energy (She won't sit still for a couple of hours), Sativas or Sativa dominant hybrids. Almost all of them relax me with the exception of increasing my heart rate I don't notice a major difference like my wife does.

The stroke and increased heart rate would concern me if I were you as far as Sativas go. Indicas make me want to close my eyes and melt into my chair. As far as sleep goes, I used to work shift work so I had a shitty sleep pattern, now I am sleeping all night long without waking up every single night.

https://www.leafly.com/start-exploring/curb-depression

As far as the increased heart rate, my normal resting is 65-70, I have seen several times it jump to 135 and once it went as high as 145 a vast majority of the time it jumps to 85-100. This lasted for only a few minutes until the high starts to kick in. I think this is where some people have a panic attack. I am not aware of any mental issues for myself, I am smoking legally so I know I am not being paranoid and finally it is not always the same even with the same strain.

7. Anti depressants aren't even researched.. get the fuck off of that shit and you'll feel less shitty.

8. It sounds like you are talking about bipolar disorder or being manic/depressive. Essentially going from states or anger or anxiety to states of lethargy and depression.

If that is the case then that is why I use medical marijuana. Without it I find I go from states of high anxiety (I don't usually go to the angry end of the spectrum) to states of complete depression.

Medical marijuana does not completely solve the problem. No drug will do that for you. That is why pharmacy scripts that do "work" are normally so strong that what success they do have is accomplished by putting you in a daze where nothing matters either way.

What medical marijuana does do is to minimize the "swing" from one state to the other and lowers the intensity at either end of the spectrum. It lowers my anxiety and aids in recovery from the depression. It's not an answer but helps me have the tools to better deal with the problem. Best of all it does so without nasty chemical dependencies and I can function much better.

As far as strain you just have to try a bunch to find the right one. Indica dominant a help my anxiety but make it hard to function in some environments. Sativa dominant a make my anxiety worse at times. I have found a couple of hybrids that are a great balance of the two.